Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

8 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Wait... wtf is that?

The Kirin Cup Soccer (Japanese: キリンカップサッカー, Hepburn: Kirin Kappu Sakkā) is an association football tournament organised in Japan by the Kirin Brewery Company. The host, Japan, is a participant in every edition. The tournament was founded in 1978 then known as Japan Cup (International competition which national teams and clubs participated in), and was last held in its full form in 2016.

^ per wikipedia

to be fair this could be where the 4 remaining games Herdman alluded to in his interview could be coming from. Also playing in Japan could theoretically allow for a Vancouver friendly as apparently was mentioned as not being ruled out in the last northern futbal pod

38 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

The Kirin Cup Soccer (Japanese: キリンカップサッカー, Hepburn: Kirin Kappu Sakkā) is an association football tournament organised in Japan by the Kirin Brewery Company. The host, Japan, is a participant in every edition. The tournament was founded in 1978 then known as Japan Cup (International competition which national teams and clubs participated in), and was last held in its full form in 2016.

^ per wikipedia

to be fair this could be where the 4 remaining games Herdman alluded to in his interview could be coming from. Also playing in Japan could theoretically allow for a Vancouver friendly as apparently was mentioned as not being ruled out in the last northern futbal pod

From a purely selfish reason I would love it if Canada played in Japan, as I'm there for business quite regularly (including right now). But the Kirin Cup is happening now. I watched Japan crush Ghana on Friday, and they play Tunisia tomorrow. So it can't be true, can it?

(please please be true)

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

From a purely selfish reason I would love it if Canada played in Japan, as I'm there for business quite regularly (including right now). But the Kirin Cup is happening now. I watched Japan crush Ghana on Friday, and they play Tunisia tomorrow. So it can't be true, can it?

(please please be true)

The Kirin Cup is happening now and is more tournament style (but very small), but the Challenge Cup is different. It's just friendlies for Japan to play in Japan that can happen throughout the year. 

18 minutes ago, canucksfan said:

The Kirin Cup is happening now and is more tournament style (but very small), but the Challenge Cup is different. It's just friendlies for Japan to play in Japan that can happen throughout the year. 

Adding to this, here's a description from good ole Wikipedia:

In addition to the annual Kirin Cup Soccer there are a few Kirin Challenge Cup (Japanese: キリンチャレンジカップ、キリンチャレンジ杯, Hepburn: kirin Tyarenzi Kappu , kirin Tyarenzihai), friendlies also sponsored by the Kirin Corporation, played throughout the year in Japan

So looks like it'd be a one-off. Still, if we're assuming most UEFA opponents are out of reach with Nations League, Japan is a solid option. Also the proposed date (Sept 27) is the last day of the window, so theoretically two matches could be played beforehand but location might be a challenge

6 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Adding to this, here's a description from good ole Wikipedia:

In addition to the annual Kirin Cup Soccer there are a few Kirin Challenge Cup (Japanese: キリンチャレンジカップ、キリンチャレンジ杯, Hepburn: kirin Tyarenzi Kappu , kirin Tyarenzihai), friendlies also sponsored by the Kirin Corporation, played throughout the year in Japan

So looks like it'd be a one-off. Still, if we're assuming most UEFA opponents are out of reach with Nations League, Japan is a solid option. Also the proposed date (Sept 27) is the last day of the window, so theoretically two matches could be played beforehand but location might be a challenge

The Canada vs Japan match keeps disappearing off Wikipedia and somebody keeps putting it back. The match is also listed on Japan's wiki page.  

Take what you will from all this. But the fact that Europe teams are busy with NL makes this matchup believable.

7 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Not to be Debbie downer, but to me that makes it very difficult. To fly over to the Far East, they’d have to have another match in place over there to consider it. That is a lot of travel for guys where nobody is situated in that part of the world within the team. I realize guys do it from Europe and go back to play games there during international breaks, but I think it is a reach. At least when it is in North America or potentially Europe, you’ll have a bunch of guys in one of those 2 areas acclimatized to that region. I’d be stunned if we had a game in Japan. 

15 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Not to be Debbie downer, but to me that makes it very difficult. To fly over to the Far East, they’d have to have another match in place over there to consider it. That is a lot of travel for guys where nobody is situated in that part of the world within the team. I realize guys do it from Europe and go back to play games there during international breaks, but I think it is a reach. At least when it is in North America or potentially Europe, you’ll have a bunch of guys in one of those 2 areas acclimatized to that region. I’d be stunned if we had a game in Japan. 

US is rumoured to be playing Japan in September, where is the game going to be located?

22 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Makes sense. However, it would also make  sense if a few teams from Africa or SA to pop by Japan. If you take in to account that Herman said another 5 games till WC. That would make sense. 

However....this is all 100% speculation. We have the same likelihood for playing North Korea and Saudi Arabia that window.

The good thing is that we wont play in Canada so we wont have to wait till mid September to find out who we play.

Edited by Vasi

If we are playing Japan I think it will be good . Japan's Rise in Footy  over the last 25 years is something I am hoping Canada will emulate  down the road . It amazes How In a country that is dominated by baseball literally started mostly from scratch building a fan base, starting a league in 1993, has become a super power in Asia  in a short time. there is a great Copa90 video on that too. The best part a good chunk of the footy culture in Japan  is female dominated .

Japan would be a very good game for Canada or the US...it would benefit both teams regardless of the location...I'd be curious if Canada did travel over to Japan to play if there'd be other matches with AFC teams? South Korea? Maybe they money whip a couple of teams from South America or Africa to come over....this is all intriguing at least

I think we should probably avoid Vancouver from here on in: there seems to be some lingering Wobbly anarcho-syndicalism in the air, totally against the neo-liberal grain of speculative finance that has overrun the place, but somehow our players are more affected by it than most. 

It's not even woke, there's no shinguard-splaining at all, it's pretty hardcore.

Want to avoid those wildcat strikes if football is the aim, my love for direct job action notwithstanding.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We may even do the ol' switcheroo with the USA. While they play Japan, we play Saudi Arabia and while they play Saudi Arabia, we play Japan.

Hold my Berhalter!

Will you look at that!

Herdman is indeed working with US Soccer and ol' Gregg to coordinate friendlies.

Who would have guessed it! ;)

4 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

In case anyone cares, Australia vs Peru is on TSN (likely something to do with rights for the World Cup). So if anyone wants to see a preview of what TSN's World Cup coverage will look like then tune in.

It is likely because the Intercontinental playoff broadcast rights belong to FIFA and not CONMEBOL &/or AFC.

I they'll have the New Zeland vs Costa Rica match tomorrow too.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hold my Berhalter!

Will you look at that!

Herdman is indeed working with US Soccer and ol' Gregg to coordinate friendlies.

Who would have guessed it! ;)

He deliberately picks rivals that we'll have to cancel on, so we can get the lessons from their friendlies but they can't from ours. 

He's been hustling Berhalter since Hamilton.

(I don't really believe this, I suspect in fact that his family has hosted Berhalter's son in Vancouver and that they do get along. While hustling him).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

While I'd love to see Canada in Europe, if we play in Qatar that is good prep. We go in November to a place we already know and are somewhat comfortable with. 

I think the only drawback would be not much money would be made selling tickets

Kind of curious, if we go to europe in the fall, what kind of FEE do we now get paid.  Will we get that 400k like we were going to have to pay to get an opponent in for our games??  Somebody has to be thinking Davies, David, Buchanon et al might be good prep for their national team eh??  

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

In case anyone cares, Australia vs Peru is on TSN (likely something to do with rights for the World Cup). So if anyone wants to see a preview of what TSN's World Cup coverage will look like then tune in.

These teams are not good. Australia organized as ever, but just meh. Peru kind of flashy, but ultimately no final ball.