Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

So, the latest on what Wheeler is hearing is really nothing at all? Invitations have been extended? Ok, any specific countries or any specific number of how many have received invites? I guess the scoop is we haven't given up and are still trying to make something work? Wasn't quite the update I was expecting.

Let's face it - even if they find an opponent now, the window is squandered. There's not enough time to properly promote the game anymore to make money off of it and they're not likely to be able to find a quality opponent to push them anyway. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce an "intersquad game" now with proceeds going to charity. 

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Let's face it - even if they find an opponent now, the window is squandered. There's not enough time to properly promote the game anymore to make money off of it and they're not likely to be able to find a quality opponent to push them anyway. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce an "intersquad game" now with proceeds going to charity. 

Or even a match against a club team lmao. Those are the worst.

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

So Iran manages to find another friendly on short notice and the CSA is still empty handed. What a colossal display of ineptitude.

I think it helps a lot that they are able to schedule it for June 11 and not on the much sooner date of June 5 ie. I don't think Uruguay is available on June 5.

19 minutes ago, Metro said:

I think it helps a lot that they are able to schedule it for June 11 and not on the much sooner date of June 5 ie. I don't think Uruguay is available on June 5.

Yeah, there are way more variables at play than "the CSA doesn't know how to send an email."

I believe that the CSA is going to ultimately find some team (last resort is a CONCACAF minnow) to play a friendly.  In that friendly, Mr. Herdman is going to try out different tactics and combinations, that he normally would not use when the games matter.  For the Nation League games, I see Mr. Herdman going for max points, similar to when he tried to win the last game against Panama in the Word Cup Qualifying.

Is it the lack of money that the CSA has? Teams have to have the availability and financial incentives to want to come to Canada (or any country) to play. 

Maybe things will get better for the 2026 WC, where presumably the CSA will have more money to throw around. 

I know people don't want to hear it but If there was a big beautiful stadium of at least 40k in Montreal or Toronto it would solve a lot of problems. We could have all the money in the world but if we don't have a scenario that allows us to create a certain amount of revenue, the cost of bringing in a lot of teams doesn't make sense. Why is the cost high? Because someone somewhere is willing to pay it

CSA has this great in demand product but can't bring it to market to fully maximize it. 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I know people don't want to hear it but If there was a big beautiful stadium of at least 40k in Montreal or Toronto it would solve a lot of problems. We could have all the money in the world but if we don't have a scenario that allows us to create a certain amount of revenue, the cost of bringing in a lot of teams doesn't make sense. Why is the cost high? Because someone somewhere is willing to pay it

CSA has this great in demand product but can't bring it to market to fully maximize it. 

Nonsense. Micronesia would draw dammit, it would draw. 

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Agreed, if Toronto doesn't make BMO's "2026 expansion" to 40,000 seats permanent, it will be a huge miss for Canada soccer in my opinion.