Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Was listening to Footy Prime podcast and Craig Forrest said that the CSA has asked FIFA and Vic Montagliani for help in finding a replacement opponent. 

This was near the end of the Friday episode. 

They also mentioned that Herdman was in England dealing with a personal issue

Edited by narduch

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Was listening to Footy Prime podcast and Craig Forrest said that the CSA has asked FIFA and Vic Montagliani for help in finding a replacement opponent. 

Thanks. I cannot find time to listen to podcasts and there is so little print media (digital or traditional) related to this sport we love in Canada. It feel like being a kid again, straining to hear the radio for draft or trade deadline hockey tidbits. Sometimes, it is like we have gone back in time.

12 minutes ago, nolando said:

Thanks. I cannot find time to listen to podcasts and there is so little print media (digital or traditional) related to this sport we love in Canada. It feel like being a kid again, straining to hear the radio for draft or trade deadline hockey tidbits. Sometimes, it is like we have gone back in time.

Yes.  I hear you.  I have a select few of 3-4 that I listen to regularly but (except for one) they are not soccer related.  There is big void in print media for sure.   I know that there some good podcasts out there that i would like to listen to but I haven't bothered listening to them.

Edited by Free kick

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

FIFA may be busy deciding whether to fine us, not find us another opponent. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

FIFA may be busy deciding whether to fine us, not find us another opponent. 

I don't think FIFA will fine us. Honestly friendlies are cancelled all the time.

Do people think Argentina is in trouble for backing out of a friendly in Israel? Lmfao no way.

Now that they made it look like this was a players decision we should be safe.

Iran isn't getting that $10 million either.

Edited by narduch

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm thinking the morning of people will still be on here spit balling ideas

"Okay, we got this. There's a Swoop flight that leaves Toronto at 4:15, if they can clear customs, the lads can be in Nashville to play the Vanderbilt women for a 9pm kickoff. They said they'll have 8 there for sure and maybe a keeper." 

1 hour ago, VanMetropole said:

👀

This is going to be one of those human interest stories where the sweet nerdy kid in primary school invites his "friends" to his birthday party and no one shows up. 

And then the local junior hockey team invites the boy to a practice and they sing happy birthday and give him a cake in Battleford North Stars orange and black Halloween colours.

And the reject parents, who don't even know their kid has no social skills, tell CTV it was his best birthday ever.

36 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

What's disappointing is teams who aren't event going to Qatar, ie Paraguay, have good friendlies lined up this window.  They're playing Japan, S Korea, and Mexico.  

I know Bolivia has been mentioned but they're a weak side outside of La Paz.  

There's a good reason for that though (well, one of the good reasons). South Korea, Japan and Mexico all have (or in the case of Japan, are likely to have) South American teams in their groups. They would each want to play against a similar style opponents rather than just the usual teams from Asia or Concacaf they are accustomed to playing. Paraguay is a good fit for that, especially as they don't have to play any South American Nations League games (since there is no such thing).

The teams that will mostly likely want to play us are the teams that have the US in their group. Right now, the only two other teams are England, who will be busy playing such slouches as Germany and Italy, and....Iran.