Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

What about some of the African nations like Ivory Coast, Egypt or South Africa.  They have a small break between games on the 5th-6th.  Probably too short of a turnaround to fly to Canada and back though.

Or the not-so-popular choice of Panama?

And lastly, could an MLS team like Portland Timbers be an option - it's a short trip up to Vancouver.

4 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

What about some of the African nations like Ivory Coast, Egypt or South Africa.  They have a small break between games on the 5th-6th.  Probably too short of a turnaround to fly to Canada and back though.

Or the not-so-popular choice of Panama?

And lastly, could an MLS team like Portland Timbers be an option - it's a short trip up to Vancouver.

There is African Cup of Nations qualifying. 

Most of them would want to play in early June. 

Could maybe work in Toronto 

11 minutes ago, ballerz said:

What if we book Ukraine for a double header on June 10. Play a split squad or B squad against Curacao. All the people who voted Liberals should donate $5 each to the Ukrainian humanitarian effort and Trudeau throws in a couple of anti tank missiles. The Ukrainians should help us out on this one!

If you are referring to the Ukranian women's team, that might work. I haven't bothered to check to see if they are available, but unlike the men's team, I don't believe they are playing Ireland on June 8th and Armenia on June 11th.

I'm sure if we suggest this idea to play the Ukranian women's team to the CBC & the members of the Ukranian embassy in Ottawa, they will heartily endorse it given the level of their soccer expertise and acumen.

Just throwing out some countries that I've done a quick search, maybe others can confirm availability for June 5th:

1) Cameroon: Only see a Africa Cup of Nations Match on June 14th vs Burundi (location TBD)

2) Paraguay: play Japan on June 2nd and Korea on June 10th, 

3) Qatar: don't see any friendlies scheduled

4) Ghana: play Madagascar June 1st, then Central Africa Republic on June 14th

5) Venezuela : play Malta June 1st, and Saudi Arabia June 9th

6) Bolivia: don't see any friendlies scheduled

7) Egypt: Play Guinea June 2nd, and then South Korea June 14th

Of all of these, Cameroon (ranked 37th) looks like a good option in terms of scheduling, quality of opponent, lack of any controversial issues..

Edited by pod818

29 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Just throwing out some countries that I've done a quick search, maybe others can confirm availability for June 5th:

1) Cameroon: Only see a Africa Cup of Nations Match on June 14th vs Burundi (location TBD)

Of all of these, Cameroon (ranked 37th) looks like a good option in terms of scheduling, quality of opponent, lack of any controversial issues..

Qatar is an obvious opponent. They possibly serve as a Morocco analog, they will be in the World Cup, and most importantly they appear to be the best team that's completely available. Plus, don't the USA possibly play group A in the R of 16? Possible scouting opportunity for the USA there, although Qatar is not favoured to advance. All of these are pros.

Con: We just cancelled a friendly due to a human rights issue, only to book a replacement friendly with another country with human rights issues? 

Even if this game did go through I have a funny feeling that this match would have been a security nightmare in and around   BC Place . I am sure that the right wing media would create such a hysteria in the days leading to the game  also. I also think the reason the CSA  choose I ran was because they wete the only team that would have given us a game in fairnesse 

Any new rumours for a possible game on June 4/5? I was scouring various sites and it looks challenging. We could fly South Africa over for a game before they play Morocco on June 9. Hope that we can play the Ukraine/Scotland loser . . 
in reality my fear is we will only have the Canada vs Curucao game with 7000 people (including  me and a friend) rattling around the lower bowl. 
Great way for us to show off to the FIFA contingent who will no doubt be watching and to inspire our team in the last home game before the World Cup. 

7 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Any new rumours for a possible game on June 4/5? I was scouring various sites and it looks challenging. We could fly South Africa over for a game before they play Morocco on June 9. Hope that we can play the Ukraine/Scotland loser . . 
in reality my fear is we will only have the Canada vs Curucao game with 7000 people (including  me and a friend) rattling around the lower bowl. 
Great way for us to show off to the FIFA contingent who will no doubt be watching and to inspire our team in the last home game before the World Cup. 

I doubt they can pull it off at this point

On 5/27/2022 at 9:27 PM, pod818 said:

Thanks for the list.

I think however it would have to be a nation that already has matches scheduled. Setting up a camp, gathering all the players, and organizing the trip to Vancouver in less than a week would seem impossible.