Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

42 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Or why not set up a friendly with Ukraine?

Probably because they are playing WCQ and Nations League in June and Nations League in September.

🙃

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Second_Round

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_UEFA_Nations_League_B

This isn't hard information to find.

51 minutes ago, Buchta said:

According to the press in Iran, the CSA paid a 'significant' amount to bring Iran over for a friendly.  The report says $300,000.

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1824609/سود-قابل-توجه-فدراسیون-فوتبال-از-بازی-با-کانادا

That is how you have to do it, especially if you want to play at home and get them to travel like that. I've heard Argentina or Brazil drawing anywhere from 1-3 million, depending on the stadium being used by the host.

We are selling over 3 million in tickets for the Iran game, of course not all goes to the CSA but it is a reasonable calculation.

I am not sure if the CSA makes anything back in rights, tv feed. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If we sell 50k in tickets and we make on average $50 per ticket (I assuming after ticketmaster fees and bc place rental) that equates to $2.5m before deducting the $300k for Iran. And before any merchandise sales. I suspect concessions go to Bc place. But there should be a net revenue gain of $2m plus for the association which isn’t bad and is badly needed

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay then then why not face an African team or South American team in September for friendly

I think we may see something like us at a European venue playing Tunisia or Senegal. Or playing in either of those locations, also good to get a bit of heat and local fans on our backs.

Then see if any of the Far Asian teams are playing friendlies in Europe, say Korea or Japan. At least these latter two are more technical and have skill in the midfield, know how to keep possession, so you are getting something of what you want to prep for Belgium and Croatia.

Because we won't be able to play European teams. Hope they cancel Nations League in the lead-up to future World Cups, it is really an impediment to proper prep.

I realise it is not fully satisfactory, but given our group, and potential knock-outs if we get out of it,  playing a South American side is what would be least beneficial.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think we may see something like us at a European venue playing Tunisia or Senegal. Or playing in either of those locations, also good to get a bit of heat and local fans on our backs.

Then see if any of the Far Asian teams are playing friendlies in Europe, say Korea or Japan. At least these latter two are more technical and have skill in the midfield, know how to keep possession, so you are getting something of what you want to prep for Belgium and Croatia.

Because we won't be able to play European teams. Hope they cancel Nations League in the lead-up to future World Cups, it is really an impediment to proper prep.

I realise it is not fully satisfactory, but given our group, and potential knock-outs if we get out of it,  playing a South American side is what would be least beneficial.

Then I would prefer to face Tunisia especially since they play similarly to Morocco

Off topic from our friendly but I just wanted to mention that Mexico has included 38 players for their upcoming friendlies vs Nigeria, Uruguay & Ecuador and their two Nations League games vs Suriname & Jamaica.

Easier to get players capped and acclimatized to a program when the federation is bringing in 38 players to an international break.

I’ll be hoping for 25 to 30 players for Canada but I fear that might not even happen.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Maybe there is something to @JAVIERF 's Aegentina in Montreal rumours.

Rollins is saying the #CanMNT will likely be in Montreal in September.

Pretty sure he meant France, not Montreal. Sounds like something brewing with Algeria. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:52 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don’t quite get the point of Nations League in a World Cup year unless it’s for the benefit of the countries not going to the World Cup. Which is fine but makes qualifying bittersweet. 

4 hours ago, ECW said:

I don’t quite get the point of Nations League in a World Cup year unless it’s for the benefit of the countries not going to the World Cup. Which is fine but makes qualifying bittersweet. 

It is extremely inconvenient for all WC qualified nations, you are right. I've been saying this for months.

Nations League should be waived in the lead up to a WC. If it were a summer WC it would be even more ridiculous.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hope they cancel Nations League in the lead-up to future World Cups, it is really an impediment to proper prep.

I hope that this year is just difficult because of the Winter World Cup.  Maybe in the future that won't be such a problem?

I think that running the Nations League every two years can work, but I really think they'll have to reduce the Gold Cups.  Or better yet, play them both on four year cycles.  

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

I hope that this year is just difficult because of the Winter World Cup.  Maybe in the future that won't be such a problem?

I think that running the Nations League every two years can work, but I really think they'll have to reduce the Gold Cups.  Or better yet, play them both on four year cycles.  

I agree

We have a friendly on June 5 (against Iran) while the USA has one against Uruguay the same day.

But the USA also has one against Morocco on June 1. Any chance we still have another friendly to be announced? Though timeline is getting tight.

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

We have a friendly on June 5 (against Iran) while the USA has one against Uruguay the same day.

But the USA also has one against Morocco on June 1. Any chance we still have another friendly to be announced? Though timeline is getting tight.

I don't see why we couldn't, but there's a snowball's chance in hell we would, because ...CSA.

Now that we are without a friendly in the upcoming international window, what teams would/could be avilable as Canada seeks a replacement opponent? I would assume that hotel, training etc... were already taken care of and a new opponent could simply substitute in at this time IF the game was June 5 and in Vancouver.

Thoughts? Ideas? What national team would be available?

12 minutes ago, Rougeisthecolour said:

Now that we are without a friendly in the upcoming international window, what teams would/could be avilable as Canada seeks a replacement opponent? I would assume that hotel, training etc... were already taken care of and a new opponent could simply substitute in at this time IF the game was June 5 and in Vancouver.

Thoughts? Ideas? What national team would be available?

It could end up being a CONCACAF team honestly. If we do even re-schedule this.

Perhaps someone like Bolivia could be an option. I don't know what their June looks like.

33 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It could end up being a CONCACAF team honestly. If we do even re-schedule this.

Perhaps someone like Bolivia could be an option. I don't know what their June looks like.

Venezuela is playing June 1 and 9.  They would appear to have a window to add a match.