Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Just booked my flight to Vancouver.

---

If you are looking to do any activism, I'd stick to something remembering the victims of that terrible tragedy and maybe something supporting the right of women to attend football matches.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/30/blame-game-after-iran-women-pepper-sprayed-at-world-cup-qualifier

Remember that the guys on Team Melli aren't clerics; they are progressive dudes who are no fans of the government.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1193765/Iranian-footballers-World-Cup-qualifier-wear-green-Mousavi-apparent-protest.html

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just booked my flight to Vancouver.

---

If you are looking to do any activism, I'd stick to something remembering the victims of that terrible tragedy and maybe something supporting the right of women to attend football matches.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/30/blame-game-after-iran-women-pepper-sprayed-at-world-cup-qualifier

Remember that the guys on Team Melli aren't clerics; they are progressive dudes who are no fans of the government.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1193765/Iranian-footballers-World-Cup-qualifier-wear-green-Mousavi-apparent-protest.html

There are reports in the press of the Iranian players protesting their National Federation as recently as last autumn, saying their equipment, and even their shirts, were old and worn. So there is a current that is not satisfied with the conditions they play in, especially since they've achieved their goal in flying colours.

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

People are stupid? Cmon dude. A foreign military shot down a commuter plane filled with innocent Canadians. It's an act of war really

Almost all of the dead were Iranian or Iranian-Canadian. It’s considered a major tragedy in the Canadian Iranian community. One Toronto restaurant still has the names of the dead engraved/painted on the window in the entranceway. 

Edited by ECW

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The more I think about this. Should have Canada agreed to a friendly with Iran. With all the history , political stuff and the airplane tragedy and even to this day families haven’t been really compensated. 

They're getting roasted over the coals on Twitter for this.

But I also think the many people in the comments think the Iran team represents the government which they do not at all. Many of the players have spoken out on things like the stadium ban and most players try to get out of Iran as soon as they can. They just get a pass because of the team's success and the discontent that would generate in the public if the government took action against them.

One thing to understand is the Iranian community in Canada generally has a deep-seated hatred of the regime there.

20 minutes ago, VinceA said:

But I also think the many people in the comments think the Iran team represents the government which they do not at all. Many of the players have spoken out on things like the stadium ban and most players try to get out of Iran as soon as they can. They just get a pass because of the team's success and the discontent that would generate in the public if the government took action against them.

One thing to understand is the Iranian community in Canada generally has a deep-seated hatred of the regime there.

You’re right they don’t represent the government, neither did the Russian players, but they were boycotted by the world…

20 minutes ago, VinceA said:

For me, it just looks bad and is this the best we can do ? Yes Iran is decent team, they did get beaten by South Korea though. 

this is just another CSA failure. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

You’re right they don’t represent the government, neither did the Russian players, but they were boycotted by the world…

For that matter, if we’re going this low, let’s play Russia in a friendly, they are talented, probably cheap, and definitely available…

8 hours ago, Ruud said:

Pretty clear we could have had a bigger match with Argentina had the conditions been met regarding budget and location !  Surely their first choice was not to go to Australia

Was Iran the only World Cup team willing to play turf?  CSA really wanted a game in Vancouver I guess leading up to curaçao.  

Finally!  This is a high quality opponent, delivering plenty of opportunity for the team to test themselves.

As for the political angle?...try picking any Top40 opponent without any skeletons in the closet, and that can be discussed in another thread as to how horrific their past behaviour has been.  It's human nature...not Iranian nature...that sucks.

5 hours ago, eramosat said:

Finally!  This is a high quality opponent, delivering plenty of opportunity for the team to test themselves.

As for the political angle?...try picking any Top40 opponent without any skeletons in the closet, and that can be discussed in another thread as to how horrific their past behaviour has been.  It's human nature...not Iranian nature...that sucks.

People upset about playing Iran should probably boycott watching the World Cup in Qatar while they are it.

At least be consistent 

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

this is just another CSA failure. 

I am hard pressed to think of an opponent to schedule a friendly with that would provide adequate preparation for Morocco (which one would hope would be the goal of these friendlies) that wouldn't elicit this opinion from you.

6 hours ago, eramosat said:

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

People upset about playing Iran should probably boycott watching the World Cup in Qatar while they are it.

At least be consistent 

If we're going to boycott Iran then let's be consistent and boycott the states also.  In 2003 they invaded a sovereign country by lying about their motives and in the interim they killed over a million Iraqis, splintered the country and sent it back into the stone age. But we don't boycott them, do we? I wonder why these activists aren't protesting our games against the USA?

From a footballing perspective, I am fine with playing Iran.  This is the type of team that we rarely play and is good prep.

From a social perspective, I'm also fine with people demonstrating outside (or even inside if it doesn't disrupt the game).  Shines a light on a tragedy that maybe was forgotten quicker than it should have.

I don't think you have to be on one side or the other.

For those saying that Iran is good prep: well maybe. 

It is good prep because it is a good team, rock hard, very physical (looking at their roster, they are huge), with a strong block and intense team spirit. We may have more glowing talent but I think they'll be hell to play against in their group stage. There is this assumption about playing teams from Islamic nations.

I am not sure they are similar to Morocco however, who are a bit more anarchic and rely on different footballing principles. These corelations are common, I am fine with them, but I am not sure Iran would be better than Ghana or Cameroon, teams with more flash, less order, who use their physicality in a different way.

The Islamic connection does not really hold up, and then even less so with a non-Arabic team like Iran. I think in fact Turkey would be more similar to Morocco. Saudi Arabia is closer to Iran from the few things I know. But since we will have few friendlies, playing the best team this last qualifying campaign from Asia is still a good test. 

An aside: I think it may not be a very good game at BC Place, or at least not a game with a lot of chances, if Iran plays to their level.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For those saying that Iran is good prep: well maybe. 

It is good prep because it is a good team, rock hard, very physical (looking at their roster, they are huge), with a strong block and intense team spirit. We may have more glowing talent but I think they'll be hell to play against in their group stage. There is this assumption about playing teams from Islamic nations.

I am not sure they are similar to Morocco however, who are a bit more anarchic and rely on different footballing principles. These corelations are common, I am fine with them, but I am not sure Iran would be better than Ghana or Cameroon, teams with more flash, less order, who use their physicality in a different way.

The Islamic connection does not really hold up, and then even less so with a non-Arabic team like Iran. I think in fact Turkey would be more similar to Morocco. Saudi Arabia is closer to Iran from the few things I know. But since we will have few friendlies, playing the best team this last qualifying campaign from Asia is still a good test. 

An aside: I think it may not be a very good game at BC Place, or at least not a game with a lot of chances, if Iran plays to their level.

Good because it’s a good team and not a concacaf side but otherwise not so much. 

(My Iranian friends tell me this is the previous manager’s team and that Canada’s team spirit is currently much superior, btw.) 

2 hours ago, CalgaryKicker said:

From a footballing perspective, wouldn't it be better to play our June matches on natural grass and not artificial turf at BC Place, since the World Cup in Qatar will be played on natural grass?

I mean… yes? But it would also be even better if they just faced a team in Qatar too. Lots of factors at play here beyond on field prep

7 hours ago, CalgaryKicker said:

From a footballing perspective, wouldn't it be better to play our June matches on natural grass and not artificial turf at BC Place, since the World Cup in Qatar will be played on natural grass?

Yes. 

It's obvious it's not ideal. 

But what's most important is this reset and prep for Qatar. And more so after the letdown of the last window. 

With Vitoria playing few minutes in 2022 with injury issues and out of contract and ditto for Doneil, I hope Herdman gives playing time to Kennedy and Cornelius during the upcoming 2 games or perhaps just the CNL game. We need someone to be able to step into that central CB position in a back 3 or even RCB in a back 4 if either Vitoria or Henry are not fit. I don't think Johnston or Miller have the height to play in the centre of a back 3. Although the defensive unit as a whole played well in CWCQ, I still think our CBs are our weak link going into Qatar.

20 hours ago, CalgaryKicker said:

Yes there will be many subs for these games and CSA will look mostly to cash in while building goodwill for what’s to come in hosting 2026.  I don’t even  consider this preparation- only for fringe players to show their stuff 

12 hours ago, Kadenge said:

With Vitoria playing few minutes in 2022 with injury issues and out of contract and ditto for Doneil, I hope Herdman gives playing time to Kennedy and Cornelius during the upcoming 2 games or perhaps just the CNL game. We need someone to be able to step into that central CB position in a back 3 or even RCB in a back 4 if either Vitoria or Henry are not fit. I don't think Johnston or Miller have the height to play in the centre of a back 3. Although the defensive unit as a whole played well in CWCQ, I still think our CBs are our weak link going into Qatar.

As I believe both Kennedy and Corelius are left footed, i doubt you see them at RCB but I wouldn't be surprised to see Waterman called and to get some time at RCB.  I think Kennedy could play in the center of a back 3 though.  I definitely think he should get some time there.