Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

20 hours ago, red card said:

The 2021 annual report came out on the weekend. Haven't seen the financial report yet.

But they do disclose source and use of funds in 2021. Men's teams got bulk of spend. WCQ > Olympic prep.

https://issuu.com/canadasoccer/docs/2021-cs-annualreport-issu-en

CSA2021SourceUseFunds.jpg

The difference in spending Men vs Women is easily explained by the fact that the Men's team had an unprecedented 17 games in 2021.  

I think people trying to infer CSA priorities etc. through one year's worth of spending, especially a year so unusual, are chasing their tails.

4 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Anyone that has Red + Gold, what tickets are available? Is it only lower bowl right now?

Ticketmaster link goes live a 2 EST/11 PST. In classic fashion, the link Canada Soccer sent for the two match package is broken. 

Ticket Limit is 9

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

42 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Look at Canada Soccer's most recent IG post. Why did they post a random picture with a vague caption of the two matches instead of posting a graphic that clearly outlines they are against Iran and Curaçao?

🤣

It's copied verbatim from the teaser text in their press release.

"Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team announces international friendly match on 5 June as part of two-match homestand in Vancouver BC Place 🍁"

That works fine at the top of a press release because people can read the rest to find out what it's about. For an IG post it's piss poor.

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Just a reminder, but when is the next window time frame for us to schedule friendlies/stage a camp in the fall?

19-27 September, maximum 2 matches, according to the official FIFA match calendar.

Players must be released before the WC by Monday 14 November. One week prep before the festivities begin. Our first match is on 23 November, a Wednesday.

Most major European leagues will play the previous weekend, EPL plays matchday 16 on the weekend of 12-13 November.

The MLS final will be played the previous weekend, Saturday 5 November. That suggests we might be able to get a chunk of our squad into a camp early, but playing a friendly before the WC would be impossible. So we get Iran and 2 more in September: hope we play in Europe.

For the most part it feels like to me the RedWhite package is a $50 scalper tax.

I'm very interested to see how sales go but I think that RW window will be gobbled up by people working the secondary market

Edited by SpursFlu

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Working on it.  Presale likely tomorrow (both games)...more info to come from Jamie once we get it from Canada Soccer.  

So it appears that 201-203 and 222/224 seem to be blocked out, going to assume 201-203 will be the V's allocation.

Only the lower bowl is available for sale at the moment with prices ranging from 34.75-106.

Curucao pricing also the same

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

So it appears that 201-203 and 222/224 seem to be blocked out, going to assume 201-203 will be the V's allocation.

Only the lower bowl is available for sale at the moment with prices ranging from 34.75-106.

Curucao pricing also the same

I'm pretty sure that's where it's been in the past 

34 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Just dug further, Red & White starts at 3 pm PT and goes til tomorrow at 11:59 pm PT.  Red & Gold gets a 3 hrs advanced window (ticketing shuts down for an hour at 2 pm PT).

That certainly is not much notice.

Pretty disappointing in how these matches have been handled so far. Especially for those that paid for the Canada Red + White/Red + Gold ticket pre-sale programs. 

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Do I just go through the Vs for supporters section tickets or am I going to have to also use my CanadaRED. Sorry I know this has probably been asked 100x, I’m just trying to line up a group buy (5+ Most likely)

The max buy is 9 for the rest of the stadium.  Can’t be sure that’s the case for the Vs but would be surprised if it was different 

Just now, JamboAl said:

The max buy is 9 for the rest of the stadium.  Can’t be sure that’s the case for the Vs but would be surprised if it was different 

Okay sweet thank you. I don’t have to join any pre sale queues yet I can just wait for the Vs to release their set of tickets? Sorry for the questions.

5 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

For Canada vs. Iran, lower bowl is on sale. Price points look to be $34.75 (end behind goal), $56.75 (end + corners), $81.75 (side), $106.75 (centre).

Compare that to a friendly being played in Barcelona on the same day, Peru-New Zealand. Prices start at 70€ and that price range is already sold out. Some still available at 80, 100€, but it will likely sell out with mostly Peruvians in Spain.

But still, our Canada friendly is 25-30% cheaper and playing at home.