Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

7 minutes ago, PendezLeBurke said:

We've done pretty well for a bunch of Futbolsheviks.

Hmm.  Averaged over the past 36 years since the 86 World Cup Canada has had the world's 10th largest economy where Soccer is the #1 amateur sport and yet we manage to make the World Cup again by 2022.  That is not bad luck, that is pure incompetence.  The only reason the Women are top 10 in the world is because 190 countries in the world think women's soccer is a joke.  So there's about 20 countries competing at women's soccer and Canada has managed to float to the top half, thanks to a feminized Canadian psyche.   They dropped the ball after 86 and they will drop the ball again.

28 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Great!  Another Canadian feature - we can't even generate our own health-killing fast food - we allow foreigners to get rich off of killing us.  What else is on your mind this evening - neighbourhood rub'n tug or Leafs crashing for their 55th year in a row?  Garbage in Garbage out.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We took the 86 loss against the soviets so poorly that our nation and also soccer association adopted their politics

Not far from it.  We've been on a downward slide since about that time.  Canada has gone from being the world's 7th largest economy that year to now just barely breaking the top 20.  So what would you call that?

4 minutes ago, DJKnox said:

Hmm.  Averaged over the past 36 years since the 86 World Cup Canada has had the world's 10th largest economy where Soccer is the #1 amateur sport and yet we manage to make the World Cup again by 2022.  That is not bad luck, that is pure incompetence.  The only reason the Women are top 10 in the world is because 190 countries in the world think women's soccer is a joke.  So there's about 20 countries competing at women's soccer and Canada has managed to float to the top half, thanks to a feminized Canadian psyche.   They dropped the ball after 86 and they will drop the ball again.

As the kids like to say... Facts

We need stadiums in this country. It's impossible to due business in Canada so why bother and when people do try against all odds we tend to want to crap all over them. Anyways I don't want to throw fuel on whatis a massive thread derail but it's extremely frustrating to see people speculate on why we can't have nice things in this country when the answer is really always right in front of their face while people actively perpetuate thae same old attitudes thats the source of the same old problems

2 hours ago, RS said:

The only way it makes sense is because CONCACAF released the entire June Nations League schedule today and it forced Canada Soccer's hand.

It's a slim possibility, though.

Mexico and the US are also in Concacaf. Yet they seemed to have lined up all their friendlies:

Mexico

vs Nigeria 28/5

vs Uruguay 3/6

vs Ecuador 6/6

vs Paraguay 1/9

US

vs Morrocco 1/6

vs Uruguay 6/6

5 minutes ago, DJKnox said:

Eesh. Can't disagree with your point on soccer but can't go along with your "Feminized Canadian psyche" thesis. Seems like you have a very particular axe to grind, friend, and I don't think this is your venue. Personally, I'm just here to commiserate and share in the anti-CSA snark.

7 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

It never ceases to amaze me just how far these threads can get derailed

Yup.  Everytime i think of something that can be critical of the CSA, I have to refrain to post because there is always this onslaught of ppl ready to pile on with this over the top diatribe blaming the CSA for everything from the death of Elvis to who knows what.   People who were just waiting from something to pounce on the CSA for.   Its been like this for 20 years.   

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I feel like this appearance fee aspect is getting blown out of proportion. We all agree this is amateur hour shit by the CSA but how much do some of these countries (Brazil, Argentina, etc.) demand? I genuinely don’t know. I know Qatar was paying out of their ass but are they more an exception? Hopefully they figure everything out this week and we get some announcements 

After the World Cup n 2014, the press in Asia was ripping on Brazil and Argentina for demanding $2M appearance fees per game for their September tour.  

I remember reading back in the late 2000s about the business success of the Mexican team.  At that time, their SUM contract was $2m per game played in the US.  The current figure is likely higher.

One challenge for the CSA is that they've already sold their TV rights to Onesoccer for peanuts.  In an ideal world they could schedule Argentina and then turn around and demand a fortune from TSN.

10 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I don't think it is politics.  Looks more like misogyny to me.

Spoken like a true snowflake.

I'm a big World Cup fan - have been watching and/or attending them since 1970.  And I am a big supporter of the CanWNT and the CanMNT.  But this is nothing but pure incompetence on behalf of the Soccer Canada.  They will pump 50% of the FIFA payday into the women's game - just to be politically correct - but the truth is that the men's game will cost an order of magnitude more to compete.  I am not mysogynist - I just don't have my head in the sand.

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

One challenge for the CSA is that they've already sold their TV rights to Onesoccer for peanuts.  In an ideal world they could schedule Argentina and then turn around and demand a fortune from TSN.

Good point. Hopefully they can coordinate something similar like they had with Sportsnet. Maybe TSN wants to get in on the mix as they build towards November.

6 minutes ago, DJKnox said:

Oh boo hoo.  Can't take some hard truths.  I've said nothing offensive.

No, it's because you are posting many things and very few of them are about "Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation".

This isn’t the place for generalized ranting.

Stick to the topic at hand.

---

The FIFA window begins May 30th.

The BC Lion's play at home on June 3rd.

The Whitecaps play at home June 4th.

So I guess that would leave Sunday, June 5th as an option if we wanted to host a match?

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No, it's because you are posting many things and very few of them are about "Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation".

This isn’t the place for generalized ranting.

Stick to the topic at hand.

---

The FIFA window begins May 30th.

The BC Lion's play at home on June 3rd.

The Whitecaps play at home June 4th.

So I guess that would leave Sunday, June 5th as an option if we wanted to host a match?

OK.  Back on topic then as I thought we were talking about speculation on friendlies.  So why were the WC qualifying match tickets only sold 2 weeks before the matches and why does the most improved team entered into the World Cup not have friendlies lined up?  And why are there no communications from Soccer Canada and why was Canada the VERY LAST team on the FIFA ticket portal to offer fan-based tickets?   I offered some possible explanations.

28 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

As was done for the Canada v Mexico send-off match prior to WWC 19, TSN can buy the rights off OneSoccer.

TSN isn't also in a position to pay a fortune anymore unless they believe it will get 1 million+. It won't get that for a friendly competing against NHL & NBA playoffs along with a year where is a high interest in the Jays.

2 minutes ago, red card said:

As was done for the Canada v Mexico send-off match prior to WWC 19, TSN can buy the rights off OneSoccer.

TSN isn't also in a position to pay a fortune anymore unless they believe it will get 1 million+. It won't get that for a friendly competing against NHL & NBA playoffs along with a year where is a high interest in the Jays.

The point was that the CSA would not be the party receiving the money.  The business case for shelling out a 7 figure appearance fee to a top tier opponents is tougher when there are no TV rights to sell.  Sure, Onesoccer would be ecstatic because they paid for a 1980 hyundai with no radio and ended up getting a Lambo.   

1 hour ago, DJKnox said:

Oh I see.  Canadian women simply outpeform Canadian men at the Olympics because they work so much harder at it huh?  The CanWNT is a money loser that is heavily subsidized by woke politics.  I like the ladies and so that's fine.  But now it's time to step up and properly support the MNT and that is not happening.

Keep your neanderthal political and misogynistic beliefs to yourself or take a hike.

Edited by Razcal