Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

12 hours ago, Shway said:

Why Austria and not a place like England?

Selfish reasons for myself, as I would have double the reason to visit my brother…but I wonder what goes into the decision making.

Is it cheaper?

Austria has lot of little stadia and training centres. Clubs and national teams regularly go their for preseason /  pre-tournament prep. I went last time Canada played in Austria. It was a really good trip and Vienna is a world class city if you can add it to your trip. 

19 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Hearing that victims of Paraguayan death squads now living in Saskatoon were not consulted before the match. As a result, Canada looks forward to playing Suriname in Reykjavik.

Those death squads are from Bolivaguay.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

He may have good sources but until this is officially announced I still don't trust the CSA

So you trust the CSA on matters of player eligibility but not on matters of setting up a friendly match.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

We are probably getting some of that sweet dirty oil money from Qatar

Tbh this match-up benefits Qatar more than it benefits us. We better be getting a fat stack of cash out of this. Our match-up might help them prepare for Ecuador and Senegal. Who does Qatar help us prepare for?

Edited by Ally McCoist

1 minute ago, Ally McCoist said:

Tbh this match-up benefits Qatar more than it benefits us. We better be getting a fat stack of cash out of this.

Actually Qatar is in a group with Netherlands, Ecuador and Senegal, and Uruguay with Portugal, Ghana and South Korea. 

The friendlies do not directly and clearly benefit any of the three teams if playing style were the consideration. 

It is just playing two WC teams with solid quality, and in the case of Uruguay some excellence both in defence and offence, and matching ourselves against them, nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Tbh this match-up benefits Qatar more than it benefits us. We better be getting a fat stack of cash out of this. Our match-up might help them prepare for Ecuador and Senegal. Who does Qatar help us prepare for?

Well it avoids us playing Panama, Curacao or Honduras again cause we made a shit show of our last window and cant get anyone better??  

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually Qatar is in a group with Netherlands, Ecuador and Senegal, and Uruguay with Portugal, Ghana and South Korea. 

The friendlies do not directly and clearly benefit any of the three teams if playing style were the consideration. 

It is just playing two WC teams with solid quality, and in the case of Uruguay some excellence both in defence and offence, and matching ourselves against them, nothing more.

Senegal is similar to us in terms of their offensive mindedness and speed. Ecuador is similar to us in terms of their group cohesiveness and mental toughness.