Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

17 hours ago, Califax said:

I suppose, but had they announced in a timely manner, those looking to travel would have had the best of both worlds. 

I doubt the euro will offset the jump in fares due to Air Canada's recent cutback announcement. 

Anyhow, I'm happy we're in europe against what I assume will be solid competition.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the cost of the team's travel. 

If we're anywhere within reason in Europe I'd try to go, but if those southern France rumours hold I'll be thrilled. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the cost of the team's travel. 

If we're anywhere within reason in Europe I'd try to go, but if those southern France rumours hold I'll be thrilled. 

Me too. Be the perfect spot. 

Not the best opponent but at least it’s someone new, and Paraguay does have some guys playing for some really good teams, so it’ll still be a good test. 

that said, being that it’s Paraguay, they better not fuck this up- a stupid 2-1 loss on a great Austrian pitch two months before the WC would be a mega black cloud over this team.

Paraguay is a decent opponent.

Feels a bit underwhelming considering everything about wanting to first wanting to play a top nation, then wanting to play a top 4-5 south american nation. Fine if they landed on Paraguay, but they are not a top nation, nor are they top 5 in conmenbol.

Still, they are a good side and it should be a good test for us. I don't recall playing them anytime in the past 2 decades.

6 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You guys are happy with Paraguay as our World Cup preparation match? I'm sorry but that's a garbage match up. Why are we selling ourselves short?

It’s a new name, and official confirmation that Canada gets to play elsewhere for the first time in forever. I’m also under the impression that the plan is for the other game to be against an elite team, so goes the rumours. If it ends up being Paraguay and a top 20 country, I’d say that’s a good lineup. One game you should smoke the other team, one game tests you against the best of the best.

6 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You guys are happy with Paraguay as our World Cup preparation match? I'm sorry but that's a garbage match up. Why are we selling ourselves short?

Garbage? I think that’s a tad much. I get your sentiments in wanting a stronger opponent but let’s see what the next matches will be in this window and just before the World Cup 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Paraguay is a decent opponent.

Feels a bit underwhelming considering everything about wanting to first wanting to play a top nation, then wanting to play a top 4-5 south american nation. Fine if they landed on Paraguay, but they are not a top nation, nor are they top 5 in conmenbol.

Still, they are a good side and it should be a good test for us. I don't recall playing them anytime in the past 2 decades.

The CSA just needs to stfu, and just announce things when its finalized at this point. Because tbh, I think I would've been alright with Paraguay before....but with all the talk from Nick & Earl in regard to the things you mentioned, this is COMPLETELY underwhelming. 

But I guess it is what it is, at least its something right?🙃

EDIT: @EJsens1 right, lets see what the other matches will be. 

Edited by Shway

46 minutes ago, Shway said:

The CSA just needs to stfu, and just announce things when its finalized at this point. Because tbh, I think I would've been alright with Paraguay before....but with all the talk from Nick & Earl in regard to the things you mentioned, this is COMPLETELY underwhelming. 

But I guess it is what it is, at least its something right?🙃

EDIT: @EJsens1 right, lets see what the other matches will be. 

This is a great point. It’s all about perspective. If this had been announced like a normal federation does shit weeks ago, this would clearly have been viewed with a more positive reaction, but here we are. Personally I believe the antics of the last window in Vancouver are exaggerated in terms of countries wanting to deal/play with us. I think it’s just a lack of experience and competence in getting deals done that’s holding things up