Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

10 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

On the Northern Futbol podcast today they said the CSA is trying to secure a friendly "with a top 4 or 5 CONMEBOL nation to be played in Europe".  

This sounds like it's either Peru or Colombia.

On that podcast, Nick Bontis himself was on there talking about his phone ringing off from top nations....we ended up with Iran, and Panama.

So here, go and pick that salt up...

Salt Bae Reaction GIF

Edited by Shway

6 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

yes it sucks,i was being sarcastic on the lack of news.i dont want to be the blame for 10 pgs of Shawarma talk

any news on bigger sponsors like CIBC ?

Considering recent events, I'm not sure we would see a lot of new sponsors coming in....or maybe that could also be the contrary. 

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

What is Argentina doing?

Being unhappy.

http://www.tycsports.com/amp/seleccion-argentina/la-afa-ya-puede-ir-al-tas-por-el-brasil-vs-argentina-suspendido-llegaron-los-fundamentos-de-la-fifa-id445734.html

We can't be linked to either Argentina or Brazil until both teams get their shit together and says "fine, we will play our interrupted WCQ match".

12 hours ago, Metro said:

Well, it looks like plenty of sponsors have begun to walk away from Hockey Canada due to the sexual assault scandals.  Maybe Bontis should be out there with a sign that reads "This Way Please".

He better. A World Cup and Soccer is 10 times more exposure than anything Hockey can do.

I totally forgot about the Sponsors pulling out of Hockey Canada  with the scandal going on over there . This is a good time to move in there  for the CSA but Im sure If The CSA  did land these Corporate partners people here will just whine non stop,

I find it interesting that those cool looking Canada Cups are being sold by 7-Eleven an American Company, Nice to see a American company step up to the plate .

From a Toronto Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/authors.arthur_bruce.html

In 2018, Canada Soccer signed a deal with an organization called Canadian Soccer Business, which is tied to the owners of the five-year-old Canadian Premier League. The deal guaranteed Canada Soccer a baseline level of revenue of $3 million a year, and the vast majority of everything after that — chiefly sponsorship deals and broadcast revenues — goes to CSB. 

So the CSA doesn't benefit from any new corporate sponsors like Osmows?

Does this mean that the CSA only makes money from gate receipts?

1 hour ago, The Pessimist said:

My guess is that when you buy a shawarma, CSB gets the revenue....

23 hours ago, narduch said:

they charge extra for hummus. That is ludicrous 

... and the CSA gets the revenue from the "extra hummus" surcharge.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

17 minutes ago, The Pessimist said:

From a Toronto Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/authors.arthur_bruce.html

In 2018, Canada Soccer signed a deal with an organization called Canadian Soccer Business, which is tied to the owners of the five-year-old Canadian Premier League. The deal guaranteed Canada Soccer a baseline level of revenue of $3 million a year, and the vast majority of everything after that — chiefly sponsorship deals and broadcast revenues — goes to CSB. 

Does this mean that the CSA only makes money from gate receipts?

Nobody knows for sure how the deal works.

It's part of the reason that June window shit show happened

It would be interesting to know how something related to specific players factors in - e.g. "brand ambassador"

And if it is separate $, I wonder if the player's would pool some of that so the whole team benefits in some way.

Possible?