Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:
1 hour ago, Califax said:

Yeah, I know.  Criticism is due.  I get it.  I was responding tongue in cheek to goofball who claimed that the CSA should've lined something up back in December.

I mean, he was a DJ which infers 'mastermind in the art of scheduling' and all that it entails 🤷‍♂️🤣

On 5/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, Shway said:

Believe it or not, you may bring up a great point. I'll reserve this comment for when they release the 2022 CSA report and we see the breakdowns. 

However this is a separate conversation. 

The 2021 annual report came out on the weekend. Haven't seen the financial report yet.

But they do disclose source and use of funds in 2021. Men's teams got bulk of spend. WCQ > Olympic prep.

https://issuu.com/canadasoccer/docs/2021-cs-annualreport-issu-en

CSA2021SourceUseFunds.jpg

Edited by red card

32 minutes ago, red card said:

The 2021 annual report came out on the weekend. Haven't seen the financial report yet.

But they do disclose source and use of funds in 2021. Men's teams got bulk of spend. WCQ > Olympic prep.

*sarcasm font* Are we sure they're not using that feminized Canadian math to hide their massive expenditures on the women's program? 

Edited by PendezLeBurke
Left a word out

3 hours ago, red card said:

I think the CSA spending double on the mens team in 2021 should dispell any myth the association is driven by some ideological progressive agenda to support the women's program. Far more likely is that Canada Soccer has simply been pragmatic during the lean years of men's soccer and allocated resources where they could generate the best returns, which for years has been the women's game.

Count me amongst those who were frusturated the men never got the funding necessary to turn the program around, but at this point I think all can be forgiven. Both programs are now competitive and both are money makers. Fantastic!

The CSA decided to prioritize the women's team, now it's flipped and they are backing the men. They are clearly chasing the dollars and putting money into what's hottest at the moment if you ask me, which is totally reasonable, if not commendable.

15 hours ago, red card said:

That 14% is full of commie money hell bent on being average.  Thats why we lose dammit

41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

One other thought about this Iran friendly; suspect that there will be a very very healthy turnout from the Iranians across North America.  

I really don't know the pattern of Iranian immigrants to Canada, as many simply will not support the country's national team. There is a bit of ambiguity there I believe. 

I recall a student in Vancouver who did a project in the context of a specific class on how, when she was young, her mother was humilliated, arrested and taken to trial for not wearing appropriate clothing in Teheran. They left for reasons directly related to the country's politics. But the point is that I recall speaking to her about football--as I often do-- and she said the whole family were radical Persepolis fans, they had their club and if they returned were keen to go watch them play, but where not keen at all about the national team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

This makes for an interesting set up going into two friendlies at BC Place. 

Do you go see the friendly vs the stronger side where you have to put your best players on the field? The first definitive preparation match for the World Cup.

Or do you prioritise the official match vs an inferior team where we may rest some regular starters?

If it was a choice of one match or the other, I'd go to see Iran.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

This makes for an interesting set up going into two friendlies at BC Place. 

Do you go see the friendly vs the stronger side where you have to put your best players on the field? The first definitive preparation match for the World Cup.

Or do you prioritise the official match vs an inferior team where we may rest some regular starters?

If it was a choice of one match or the other, I'd go to see Iran.

They actually have a pretty decent deal of getting 25% off if you purchase tickets to both matches.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I really don't know the pattern of Iranian immigrants to Canada, as many simply will not support the country's national team. There is a bit of ambiguity there I believe. 

Yeah you clearly didn't see the number of flags and jerseys in the Richmond Hill/Markham area over the last two world cups... it was comparable to Italians in Woodbridge during the Euros or Portuguese along St. Clair.

Sure a lot of Iranian/People of Persian origin have understandable issues with government (don't really think we need to get into that on this forum), but from my experiences they're very proud of where they're from and will gladly support their national team.

edit: to add, Toronto/GTA has the most Iranian's, but both Montreal and Vancouver have large populations as well

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

5 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Yeah you clearly didn't see the number of flags and jerseys in the Richmond Hill/Markham area over the last two world cups... it was comparable to Italians in Woodbridge during the Euros or Portuguese along St. Clair.

Sure a lot of Iranian/People of Persian origin have understandable issues with government (don't really think we need to get into that on this forum), but from my experiences they're very proud of where they're from and will gladly support their national team.

edit: to add, Toronto/GTA has the most Iranian's, but both Montreal and Vancouver have large populations as well

There is a massive Iranian population in the GTA and from the ones that I know.  They are very prideful of their country, regardless of historically government/policing issues they may have encountered in the past.  If it was in Toronto, BMO would sell out that friendly without a doubt.

Edited by Corazon

10 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

They actually have a pretty decent deal of getting 25% off if you purchase tickets to both matches.

Thanks, hadn't seen the details yet.

But still, I wonder how many fans will go to both games. Is it over 10 or 15 thousand?

Could someone post prices when you see them, I am looking at the CSA site and can't see if they have tix available yet?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist