Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

4 minutes ago, Califax said:

Like. They should risk losing money for this. 

It's the fucking World Cup. If you are short cash, expedite the Red+and platinum membership

The membership has felt like such a cash grab. I highly doubt there will be a lineup for people to buy another membership with no real games etc coming up

Edited by blueseeka

5 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

The membership has felt like such a cash grab. I highly doubt there will be a lineup for people to buy another membership with no real games etc coming up

yeah I was being kinda tongue in cheek. They know how to grab money, but not how to do the right things with it. 

Jamaica is playing a friendly against Catalonia in Girona on 25 May. 

I would suppose their expenses are being paid. Usually these are intense games. 

We realise that playing against regions not in FIFA means a match is not official, but I have seen some of the best teams in the world play Catalonia over the years, including Brazil and Argentina (I actually sat about 25 seats over from Maradona in that one). The Basques have also played major friendlies. 

I understand this is below us.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

In that interview on sportsnet radio (that i was alluding to), he did say that there were some really big teams wanting to play friendlies against Canada.
edit:

this is what i was referring to: interview starts at 40:04.  For precise comments see 45:50 approx

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/137481550

He has said that on other Canadian Soccer Podcasts, as well.  'Big teams inquiring about friendlies with the CanMNT.' Yet nothing concrete 3 weeks out from the potential dates for friendlies - just us hardcore fans speculating based on crumbs of info. 

On a related point - I am curious to know where the soccer media is on this topic.  They have access to Soccer Canada stakeholders yet have been totally mum on this topic since WCQ ended. They were parroting the party line on all the potential for amazing friendlies, however have reported zero on this topic over the last month. I have even tried to poke a few them on TW, but no takers. 

Some have commented that this Canada soccer media group has been a bit too 'fanboy' and not doing enough hold them to account as any good journalist does holding leaders (in this case Soccer Canada) accountable through asking tough, but fair questions.  Is that a reasonable observation?

All said, if we don't get some concrete news this week its looking highly unlikely that there will be any friendlies of consequence this upcoming June window. All the great momentum that this team had is slowly being drained out by the vacuum of relevant news/updates... 

Herdman said right after the Jamaica game at BMO when we  qualified for Qatar that we cannot let this moment slip away like  1986.  But it really does feel that things  have ramped down vs up since that game and it's not just us hard core fans with eyes on the CMNT any more. It just feels like the CSA is blowing the incredible momentum and hype  built during the Octo. The lack of communication btw the CSA and the fan base is shocking

29 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Herdman said right after the Jamaica game at BMO when we  qualified for Qatar that we cannot let this moment slip away like  1986.  But it really does feel that things  have ramped down vs up since that game and it's not just us hard core fans with eyes on the CMNT any more. It just feels like the CSA is blowing the incredible momentum and hype  built during the Octo. The lack of communication btw the CSA and the fan base is shocking

It’s the CSA …. Why is this shocking ? Why are people are so shocked about this ? They were incompetent before and it’s still run by the same people. So why do we think as fans things would be any different. Little Nicky can’t even pick out a good suit to wear for international TV. 

I don’t know enough about the inner workings of the CSA to have developed opinions on them, but I heard a few Bontis interviews on some podcasts, and even when the hosts throw him absolute lobs his answers felt canned, purposefully vague and unsubstantial. The hosts were obviously trying to make him look good but the guy came off as a car salesman. 

https://www.eurosport.com/football/international-friendlies/2022/calendar-result.shtml

From the calendar above, the dates from the june window to november are filling up very fast.  Mex, US, Bra, Arg, Ecu, Uru, Per, Jpn, Kor, Mor…etc etc all have booked matched during the windows.  The only ones you dont see there are European sides.  But they dont need much travel and prep…

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

In that interview on sportsnet radio (that i was alluding to), he did say that there were some really big teams wanting to play friendlies against Canada.

edit:

this is what i was referring to: interview starts at 40:04.  For precise comments go to 45:50 approx

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/137481550

Oh I don't doubt bigger teams inquired as well, but I tried to address that with my second point. I'm sure a lot of them thought it was now worth their time to play Canada but also expected Canada to then pay their standard appeal fee and were shocked to find the CSA couldn't or wouldn't.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Oh I don't doubt bigger teams inquired as well, but I tried to address that with my second point. I'm sure a lot of them thought it was now worth their time to play Canada but also expected Canada to then pay their standard appeal fee and were shocked to find the CSA couldn't or wouldn't.

I feel like this appearance fee aspect is getting blown out of proportion. We all agree this is amateur hour shit by the CSA but how much do some of these countries (Brazil, Argentina, etc.) demand? I genuinely don’t know. I know Qatar was paying out of their ass but are they more an exception? Hopefully they figure everything out this week and we get some announcements 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If I were Herdman looking at an inept CSA I'd be wondering. 

Well they gave me the job, so that is something. I'm here because they bet on me. But they can't ensure Canada can compete in the terms we require to achieve success. 

When your boss becomes yet another adversary to overcome, then it is time to think seriously about other offers coming your way. It is one thing to overcome the tribulations of the region, weather, travel, dual nationals and the like, quite another to feel your ceiling is being lowered by the very people who are supposed to ensure it's raised.

Given the extreme malaise/incompetence of the CSA during the majority of my life (and I’m not young) I’ve always assumed the CSA appointed Herdman to the MNT for the wrongs reasons and got lucky. Very lucky. 

4 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I feel like this appearance fee aspect is getting blown out of proportion. We all agree this is amateur hour shit by the CSA but how much do some of these countries (Brazil, Argentina, etc.) demand? I genuinely don’t know. I know Qatar was paying out of their ass but are they more an exception? Hopefully they figure everything out this week and we get some announcements 

I don't know the number, but I recall from when Winnipeg hosted the Pan am Games in 1999 that the South American teams did not compete because they wanted a "significant" appearance fee.

9 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Brazil and Argentina are always going to find someone to pay them to play. There's no discount just because Canada made the World Cup.

10 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Apparently Brazil's fee is 7 figures. 

36 minutes ago, Metro said:

Friendly announcement can't be long now, amirite!!!!!

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-mens-national-team-returns-to-british-columbia-in-june-for-concacaf-nations-league-at-bc-place/

This all but confirms no friendly for June...which shouldn't be surprising. 
The reason being we were the last team drawn, and all the other teams had confirmed friendlies before we were put into our group.

Such is life. Such is being a Canadian footy fan.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-mens-national-team-returns-to-british-columbia-in-june-for-concacaf-nations-league-at-bc-place/

This all but confirms no friendly for June...which shouldn't be surprising. 
The reason being we were the last team drawn, and all the other teams had confirmed friendlies before we were put into our group.

Such is life. Such is being a Canadian footy fan.

I was thinking the same thing when i saw no announcement and Vancouver selected. But i have a hard time believe they won't have a friendly in early June. But it doesn't make sense to announce the later date match first

12 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I was thinking the same thing when i saw no announcement and Vancouver selected. But i have a hard time believe they won't have a friendly in early June. But it doesn't make sense to announce the later date match first

The only way it makes sense is because CONCACAF released the entire June Nations League schedule today and it forced Canada Soccer's hand.

It's a slim possibility, though.

15 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Maybe we can hope that the CSA is still negotiating with another federation that is driving a hard bargain?

The phrasing of the press-release for the CNL match in Vancouver drops a brutal hint:

"This will mark Canada’s first home match since qualifying for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ after finishing first overall in the Concacaf Final Round"