Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Nick Bontis was on a local radio show (during the drive home hour) 4-5 weeks ago.  He was mentioned how the phone was ringing off the hook with teams inquiring to play Canada and that there several really big and prominent international sides amongst the group looking to play Canada.  

So what happened?   How could there still be nothing announced?  Very odd, I find.  Were they slow in firming up commitments with their dance partners?  Is it because of their lack of experience at this exercise?  Is it our lack of facilities?  I don’t know but it’s becoming a bit of a concern.  

meanwhile:

International friendlies 2022 fixtures, results & tables - Football - Eurosport

Edited by Free kick

It’s called the CSA would fuck up a one car funeral! I swear they are so clueless. 
like all the major teams at the World Cup draw had presidents, managers all there and what do we do , we send little Nicky there looking like an idiot with a horrible blue suit on and that’s yet. Herdman was in street clothes on TSN. I’m sorry that’s not professional! 

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Nick Bontis was on a local radio show (during the drive home hour) 4-5 weeks ago.  He was mentioned how the phone was ringing off the hook with teams inquiring to play Canada and that there several really big and prominent international sides amongst the group looking to play Canada.  

So what happened?   How could there still be nothing announced?  Very odd, I find.  Were they slow in firming up commitments with their dance partners?  Is it because of their lack of experience at this exercise?  Is it our lack of facilities?  I don’t know but it’s becoming a bit of a concern.  

meanwhile:

Some speculation:

- I'm sure plenty of teams did inquire about playing Canada. But there's problem a limit to how far down the rankings you'd actually want to go, and we have no idea how many of these inquiries he was getting were from teams in the 100+ world ranking. 

- I'm sure some bigger teams did inquire as well. I'm also sure they would demand larger appearance fees the CSA either didn't want to pay (for fear of not recouping it) or couldn't pull the money together in time to commit to it.

Regardless, it's still all a bad look for the CSA.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

meanwhile:

The reason Bontis' phone was ringing off the hook was because a twelve-year-old prankster in  Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan doxxed Bontis' phone number as the local ecstasy dealer.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

- I'm sure some bigger teams did inquire as well. I'm also sure they would demand larger appearance fees the CSA either didn't want to pay (for fear of not recouping it) or couldn't pull the money together in time to commit to it.

Sort of playing devils advocate on this, but in this instance, couldn’t you also argue that if you secured a match with a big name team in Canada, you know you’d generate the revenue in due time? Hypothetically if say they got Portugal and were assured of a Ronaldo appearance (maybe this is an extreme example) wouldn’t they role the dice? 

23 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Sort of playing devils advocate on this, but in this instance, couldn’t you also argue that if you secured a match with a big name team in Canada, you know you’d generate the revenue in due time? Hypothetically if say they got Portugal and were assured of a Ronaldo appearance (maybe this is an extreme example) wouldn’t they role the dice? 

Problem is our big stadiums don't have grass. 30K cap at BMO is not large enough to generate the revenue vs a team like Portugal. The  cost of laying down temp grass is significant

10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

It’s called the CSA would fuck up a one car funeral! I swear they are so clueless. 
like all the major teams at the World Cup draw had presidents, managers all there and what do we do , we send little Nicky there looking like an idiot with a horrible blue suit on and that’s yet. Herdman was in street clothes on TSN. I’m sorry that’s not professional! 

You should be thankful the event was available in colour.

43 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Problem is our big stadiums don't have grass. 30K cap at BMO is not large enough to generate the revenue vs a team like Portugal. The  cost of laying down temp grass is significant

Not trying to cause a stir but what are you basing your "not large enough" claim on? Do we know what the appearance fee of a top tier (top 10 maybe?) team is? Could we make a reasonable guess at how much the average ticket price would be as well as how much concession/merch revenue (other sources I'm probably missing) would be generated? Just curious. Also, extremely neurotic and obsessive at this point😬

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This is the excuse they could give but I’m not buying it-nor should you.

Fifa is about to give us 10M for the World Cup, that’s money we know that is coming in. Reality is we won’t “need” friendlies like we do now, as in the future we are heavily occupied with GC and NL.

So bring Italy in MTL, pay the appearance fee (which shouldnt be like a WC teams price 🤭) pay the price to put down grass in the unused Olympic Stadium and give it time settle. Increase prices, sell out 60+ and let’s win.

Money should not be an excuse. I repeat money should not be an excuse! 

I don’t have to know, but I’m sure they (the CSA) have made more money than they forecasted. 

If I were Herdman looking at an inept CSA I'd be wondering. 

Well they gave me the job, so that is something. I'm here because they bet on me. But they can't ensure Canada can compete in the terms we require to achieve success. 

When your boss becomes yet another adversary to overcome, then it is time to think seriously about other offers coming your way. It is one thing to overcome the tribulations of the region, weather, travel, dual nationals and the like, quite another to feel your ceiling is being lowered by the very people who are supposed to ensure it's raised.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I think you are right.  We do have a stadium issue in Canada.  But at the same time there has to be someone out there, who will be in Qatar, needing a friendly regardless of where its played.   I doubt that its matters all that much in the preparation, if the game is played in canada or elsewhere. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is the excuse they could give but I’m not buying it-nor should you.

Fifa is about to give us 10M for the World Cup, that’s money we know that is coming in. Reality is we won’t “need” friendlies like we do now, as in the future we are heavily occupied with GC and NL.

So bring Italy in MTL, pay the appearance fee (which shouldnt be like a WC teams price 🤭) pay the price to put down grass in the unused Olympic Stadium and give it time settle. Increase prices, sell out 60+ and let’s win.

Money should not be an excuse. I repeat money should not be an excuse! 

I don’t have to know, but I’m sure they (the CSA) have made more money than they forecasted. 

We dont know the whole story so i am speculating here.   If money is not an issue, then perhaps its logistics that are an issue.   The CSA doesnt own the stadium, nor do they operate them.  So i dont think that its as simple as someone from the CSA picking up the phone and asking:  Go and install grass on this date at this facility. 

Edited by Free kick

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Some speculation:

- I'm sure plenty of teams did inquire about playing Canada. But there's problem a limit to how far down the rankings you'd actually want to go, and we have no idea how many of these inquiries he was getting were from teams in the 100+ world ranking. 

Regardless, it's still all a bad look for the CSA.

In that interview on sportsnet radio (that i was alluding to), he did say that there were some really big teams wanting to play friendlies against Canada.

edit:

this is what i was referring to: interview starts at 40:04.  For precise comments go to 45:50 approx

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/137481550

Edited by Free kick