Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

8 hours ago, Soro17 said:

It should be a hard-fought match, with Canada the underdogs (sadly). Spain would have qualified for the world cup, but for their love of using ineligible players which saw them kicked out after qualifying (they were booted in 2019 as well).    

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/15/spain-offer-fresh-evidence-in-attempt-to-reverse-rugby-world-cup-ban-union

It's more complicated than that, it's a disgrace and World Rugby is partly responsible for both cases of Spain being denied access to the WC. 

I speak a lot about this with fellow Canadian rugby fans. I'm amazed Spain can keep playing through the aftermath of the mess. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's more complicated than that, it's a disgrace and World Rugby is partly responsible for both cases of Spain being denied access to the WC. 

I speak a lot about this with fellow Canadian rugby fans. I'm amazed Spain can keep playing through the aftermath of the mess. 

Yes, reading about the game that resulted in them getting kicked them out this year, the penalty seems unjust and way out of proportion. 

34 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Yes, reading about the game that resulted in them getting kicked them out this year, the penalty seems unjust and way out of proportion. 

You wouldn't believe the pain in Spain rugby, I have rarely seen anything like it.

In 2019, when Spain needed to beat the worst team in the group--Belgium-- to go the WC over Romania (Georgia was first in the group), they put a Romania ref on the match who performed one of the greatest reffing scandals in rugby history. There are whole Youtube videos going over the entire performance by that ref, by English or Aussie commentators, describing up to 20 clear calls that affected the result the entire way. Spain lost when in the first leg they'd beaten Belgium by 60 of something. Then the players went beserk and their reaction hurt them in the end. World Rugby cynically came up with some player eligibility BS, when they'd approved players previously, and decided to kick Romania out as well--leaving the fourth best team in the Europe B group in the World Cup: Russia. Good show from the rancid old boys network the gentlemen's sport.

This time round, again Georgia dominated, and it was Portugal, Romania and Spain vying for the 2nd spot. Russia got kicked out half way through. Still, Spain played some superb rugby and took out their rivals, qualifying for the WC in France next year. Then the Romanians went at it again and they discovered a player who was eligible had not fulfilled the residency requirement, which forced players to be in the country they were playing for, for longer periods. A ridiculous rule in Covid, when travel was restricted, leagues were stopped. This one guy from South Africa who was nationalised spent too long abroad--but only played in blowouts against the Netherlands, the worst team in the group this time. 

Turns out his club had secretly, unbeknowst to Spain Rugby, falsified some document to prove he'd be residing in Spain. This club has been demoted to 2nd division and its entire board banned from the sport for years. 

In previous WR decisions, a team was only ever sanctioned if it had knowingly broken a rule, which was not the case. There are many decisions where a player deceiving a NT was sanctioned only lightly. Then, Spain presented documentation proving Romania players (and from other countries) had also spent inordinate periods outside the country (scouring Instagram accounts, not hard to do), but WR ignored this identical evidence. There are numerous examples of residency requirement rules being broken by top rugby teams and this never affecting the WC status. 

Key: we are not talking about player eligibility, we are talking about World Rugby enforcing standard rules whereby an originally foreign player should be in the country, and doing so even in the midst of Covid where residency rules should have been waived and players the world over went back to their homes.

World Rugby is one of the most hypocritical organisations out there. You think FIFA is bad, these guys are sickening. They only exist to ensure the top 5 in Europe and big three in the South are happy. Even Argentina are outsiders, what they have done clawing their way into the elite has been with WR putting stumbling blocks from start to finish. The reffing in World Cups is extremely biased in favour of the bigger teams at times--Canada was terribly mistreated last WC, it was shocking-- but rugby fans will go on about what good sports they are, how they have their pint and are all friends, when the entire system protects the elite nations and screws the modest ones over and over again. 

Don't ever let the rugby fans lord it over you, soccer supporters, they are not in any position to claim a higher moral vantage point.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 7/5/2022 at 11:28 PM, Obinna said:

@Blondo How is Cyle Larin moving to Club Brugge being observed by Belgians? Is there any added interest in the player because he will now play with one of the top Belgian clubs?

I guess it depends on the fan, but I imagine some would keep a watchful eye on him now, while others would not be so interested in monitoring a player from Canada, an opposing team Belgium should beat at the WC. 

For Canadians, I think there is optimism about Larin moving from Besiktas to Club Brugge, because it's a small step up and he'll get to play Champions League football once again. Canada will have just 4 players in that competition, unless Red Star Belgrade qualify and David transfers to Bayern.

However, I imagine that Club Brugge is kind of like entry level for a Belgian national team player. Nothing really special. From that perspective maybe there's no feeling or curiosity about Larin moving there?

I currently have others things on so haven't really been paying attention. Not a Club Brugge supporter anyway. Guess they needed a replacement after Dost left. CDK, Openda and Noa Lang might leave too (Openda going to L1). If that's the case they'll need to replenish their ranks again (Belgian clubs often have to leave it late to get good deals/players they otherwise couldn't afford or players that were holding out for bigger clubs). Larin then has the advantage of joining early/pre-season and his prior experience in the Pro League. Instead of adding depth he might get more chances/minutes.

The Belgian FA has a duty to promote the domestic League. Martinez obliges them. He often attends Pro League games and like in other NTs the bar is lowered for these (eligible) players to get a call-up. Last season Union, a club that had been dwelling in obscurity for pretty much a century, all of a sudden had a couple inclusions (they had a great season and the country, alongside football romantics from far and wide, was saddened when they missed out on their fairytale ending). At Club Brugge fans will definitely have a good look at Larin (and Buchanan). After all it's the most dominant club in the league since Anderlecht dropped the ball. Also, plenty of foreign players have won their way into the hearts of Belgians. For example, Perišić is still remembered fondly by Club Brugge supporters.

PS a lot of love is showered on other NTs, from Belgium. Iceland had already reached cult status in Belgium before doing it on the international stage and except for Drogba the bulk of Côte d'Ivoire's golden generation came through at the tiny Belgian club that was Beveren, with the biggest name being Yaya Touré. A bit early doors for Canada but maybe one day, regardless of what happens in Qatar.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:29 AM, Treppy2 said:

FYI, Canada destroyed  Belgium 45-0 in a rugby match at Wanderers’ ground in Halifax on Saturday: https://www.tsn.ca/canada-hammers-belgium-in-men-s-rugby-1.1820413

Whatever happens at the World Cup in November, at least we’ll have that result! 😀

And Belgium are the current Olympic and World Champions of Hockey. Sorta odd Canada is only in the picture when it's the "on ice" variant of Hockey; that one isn't even in the Olympics, prolly in the winter one which nobody watches.

2 hours ago, Blondo said:

And Belgium are the current Olympic and World Champions of Hockey. Sorta odd Canada is only in the picture when it's the "on ice" variant of Hockey; that one isn't even in the Olympics, prolly in the winter one which nobody watches.

Ice hockey: fast = fun.
Field hockey 😂😂😂… we don’t do that in Canada… I remember having to try it in gym class once… the class revolted and just tried to smash the ball as hard as we could at each other … ‘could we just play ball hockey in the gymnasium or parking lot? Plus, it’s so non-inclusive (sticks only shoot one way).

Sounds like Larin and Jutglà will soon be joined by Muriqi at Club Brugge. 10M would be a record fee for an incoming transfer at Club and after Vanheusden it would be the 2nd highest fee ever paid by any Belgian club.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, Soro17 said:

It should be a hard-fought match, with Canada the underdogs (sadly). Spain would have qualified for the world cup, but for their love of using ineligible players which saw them kicked out after qualifying (they were booted in 2019 as well).    

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/15/spain-offer-fresh-evidence-in-attempt-to-reverse-rugby-world-cup-ban-union

Nice call. 57-34 for Spain, and Canada was never really in the match. Sad to see how far Canada rugby has fallen, but there’s only direction to go, right?!

Done deals:

- Lukaku to Inter

- Witsel to Atletico Madrid

- Origi to Milan

- Openda to Lens

- Alderweireld to Antwerp

- Lavia to Southampton (€14M initial fee with a buy-back clause of almost €50M or 20% sell-on clause); picked a good (development) club to get your first minutes of league football and it looks like they value his largely unproven talent. Would be a massive surprise if he gets into the squad for Qatar (even just bringing him for experience; doubt it but hopefully in future tournaments after he comes good).

These seem good choices so far although we'll see when the season starts.

CDK rumoured to be joining Origi and Alexis Saelemaekers in Milan. Might be a tricky move. Tielemans, Mertens, Batshuayi, Januzaj and Denayer are expected to get deals over the line this summer. Maybe a few others too, like Praet and Thorgan Hazard.

On 7/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, Treppy2 said:

Nice call. 57-34 for Spain, and Canada was never really in the match. Sad to see how far Canada rugby has fallen, but there’s only direction to go, right?!

Well, if it is any consolation, the US just lost to Chile as well and are now in the last-chance repechage. Misery loves company. 

Nayef Aguerd, Moroccan centre back probably out of the World Cup.  Had surgery after injuring his ankle in a friendly just after signing in England.

If I was just a national team fan, I would say our secret weapon could be getting West Ham sign more of the players in our group.

We love wrecking a player at my club.

This coach went viral for throwing a water bottle at an opponent in an attempt to stop an attack. The kicker? Apparently he's rumoured to be taking over as Morocco's HC. This is his last game with Wydad. The play here is obviously this means Ziyech and Noussair Mazraoui could return. Which is an uh oh for us.

Edited by VinceA

On 7/29/2022 at 2:48 AM, VinceA said:

This coach went viral for throwing a water bottle at an opponent in an attempt to stop an attack. The kicker? Apparently he's rumoured to be taking over as Morocco's HC. This is his last game with Wydad. The play here is obviously this means Ziyech and Noussair Mazraoui could return. Which is an uh oh for us.

That rumour had already been discredited by their FA and for the umpteenth they reaffirmed they're sticking with the manager that qualified them for Qatar2022 and seeing he did what was asked of him, i.e. extending a hand to the players that were alienated (Mazraoui for example), you wouldn't expect them to change course this late in their WC campaign. Reportedly tomorrow there's yet another meeting in which the manager's letter of resignation will be drafted. We'll see what happens but so far Moroccan journos have been right 0 out of 9,857,998 times. 

You never want to see players get injured. Aguerd would be a big blow as Morocco lack depth at CB. I'm guessing he'll be back in time. Tissoudali had been doing well, for club and country, but Morocco have plenty of other options.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:18 AM, TOcanadafan said:

Anyone catch the Bayern / DC United friendly? An 18 y.o. Croatian started in the midfield with the Bayern first team… wonder if he impressed.

Didn't see that game but it was probably Vidović. He's very highly rated by Bayern, hopefully he'll get a loan this season. There's a number of young Croats in Bayern, Stanišić and Zvonarek too.

New Croatian striker talent popped off. Hajduk loanee Marin Ljubičić played 4 games for LASK so far and has already registered 9 goals. Currently sits on 6 goals in 3 games in the Austrian BuLi. The kid was always talented but couldn't get consistent minutes in Hajduk.

Edited by Brozosexual

According to lequipe.fr Vahid Halilhodzic is finally on his way out. Reportedly, the Moroccan FA are currently negotiating his departure. For about two years there have been rumblings. He has been sacked countless times, at least according to journos. So need an official statement from their FA on this.

Edited by Blondo

On 8/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, Ally McCoist said:

Did anyone see De Bruyne's pass to Haaland today that led to a goal? The man finds holes in places where you wouldn't expect there to be a hole.  

That's what we're going up against in November.

I love the double entendres  of this post, I wonder what you were watching when you posted this 🤔 😜

I agree if we don’t get a friendly against an elite European team, we will be shell shocked against Belgium, I don’t know if our defenders will be prepared for that.

Edited by SoCalTransport

No surprises there. Morocco will be more energized and motivated cause this guy was really hated...as much as it's fun to have a slight edge when the other camp is in disarray, i'll take their best vs our best as a contest to watch. Either way, our boys have to be at their best regardless.

I actually think this is good for us. Their results were with Halilhodzic. 

They will get a new coach and have no time to adjust. Whoever goes in is going on someone else's legacy, and has to deal with that too.

Some argue they'll get players back, but that will also disrupt the group dynamic, which made  it to Qatar without those other prima donna stars. A few starters getting Morocco to the WC are now going to sit, apparently.

I would not be surprised to see a Morocco unprepared and chaotic, with too little time to make the transitions the new manager will want.