Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

After the defeat against Holland we got the response we were looking for from the players, and then some. They scored quite a few beauties, especially Trossard's 2nd one, best goal in the NL so far. Great sub and I'm also happy for Openda that he got a goal on his debut. The difference in intensity, tempo and focus was night and day. When the team bothers showing up and puts in the effort they usually have us crowing with pleasure.

Our defence didn't get tested all that much as the team kept pushing forward looking to add to the score. Attacking is what they do best after all (attack is the best defence, right?). Dendoncker did again prove himself a viable option for the backline (Castagne could also provide depth atb but is better used as wingback). Faes looked nervy during the few minutes he was given; would love to see Theate given a chance in the upcoming games. That double pivot in front of our backline still worries me but they acquitted themselves better this time round.

KDB is still the most decisive player on the team. Lukaku would most likely have scored a few if he hadn't been injured in the previous game. Hazard is slowly getting back to his level. Had a decent game despite that one miss. The actual prep ahead of Qatar will happen at their clubs so will have to wait and see how Hazard fares there.

Poland qualified for the WC beating Sweden, but they barely got by them. They have a couple big name players but they are in flux with a manager who is still new and whose ideas are still unclear. All that being said, that Belgium performance was scary. I lost count of how many times they threaded the ball between the lines. If Batshuayi was any good it could have been even more...

42 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Poland qualified for the WC beating Sweden, but they barely got by them. They have a couple big name players but they are in flux with a manager who is still new and whose ideas are still unclear. All that being said, that Belgium performance was scary. I lost count of how many times they threaded the ball between the lines. If Batshuayi was any good it could have been even more...

Exactly my point that I was trying to hammer home especially when you know this is a team Canada has to face in November at the World Cup, especially in your opening game. Belgium being massive favorites and Canada simply put are not. Canada are heavy underdogs and if we're being honest brutally honest Canada has no chance against Belgium. We would even be lucky to escape that game with a draw given how potent Belgium are in their attack or how potent they continue to be even if people try to write them off, they still have one of the best goalkeepers in the world in Courtois. Not to mention the best midfielder in the world in KDB. Lukaku and both Hazard brothers Eden and Thorgan are there. Need I say more.

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Belgium and Morocco look to be in fine form hell even Croatia does too 

I wouldn't describe losing to the USA 3-0 and scraping a home win against 69th ranked South Africa as being in "fine" form. 

I would even hesitate to say we are "in form" at the moment, and we just clocked a 4-0 home win against 79th ranked Curacao. Though if we beat Honduras away on Sunday I would probably drop the hesitation.

We were terrified of Dutch speaking nation Suriname, then washed them. We were concerned about Dutch speaking nation Curaçao and washed them. And now we are afraid of Dutch speaking Belgium and somehow still worried? Only thing I’m worried about is which MLS side picks up Courtois after we drop 5 goals on him and wash him out of Europe.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

We were terrified of Dutch speaking nation Suriname, then washed them. We were concerned about Dutch speaking nation Curaçao and washed them. And now we are afraid of Dutch speaking Belgium and somehow still worried? Only thing I’m worried about is which MLS side picks up Courtois after we drop 5 goals on him and wash him out of Europe.

We have like 2 guys who would make the bench of the Belgium team

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He would definitely start for Belgium 

Cool. When is the last time a Dutch speaking nation has beat us?

edit: meant to quote the other guy’s post. Belgium is toast. We sent our boys over there in the 40s to liberate them, and we’re gonna liberate them from the World Cup too.

Edited by InglewoodJack

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Belgium drew 1-1 with Wales in Nations League today, giving up a late equalizer. 

At least over 3 games vs top opposition you learn things. Little details maybe. Their older CBs are still reliable. Mignolet is strong cover for Courtois. Hazard is really in decline and not clearly a starter. 

In contrast, all we've learnt is brudderhud brudderhud brudderhud. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At least over 3 games vs top opposition you learn things. Little details maybe. Their older CBs are still reliable. Mignolet is strong cover for Courtois. Hazard is really in decline and not clearly a starter. 

In contrast, all we've learnt is brudderhud brudderhud brudderhud. 

Wouldn't that be Brüderschaft?

Germany already has dibs on "die Mannschaft" but Brüder-shaft is available.