Iran Football Scenerio

lbula17

Just now, SpecialK said:

WoW The Canadians have really changed. This has nothing to do with the World Cup. FIFA is not Canada or the CSA. The CSA gets an Canadian sports federation who receives tax dollars and now has scheduled a game vs Iran, a country who has killed Canadians and more. 

🙃🤡🤡🤡

I know it sounds dumbly nebulous but after being in the ‘every country is corrupt and so is Quatar (and FIFA for that matter)’ camp I’m sort of on the fence about the Iran match. From the beginning it seemed a manifestation of the CSA’s incompetence at least, but now I’m listening to those directly affected by the tragedy and to the more politically aware Iranian Canadians. 

I don’t think I would buy tickets if I was in Vancouver.

This is from the twitter account of the spokesperson for ‘the flight’. He is stridently against the match and, frankly, that makes complete sense.

At Canada Soccer we believe in the power of sport and its ability to bring people from different backgrounds and political beliefs together for a common purpose,” it said. “Iran is one of 32 participating member associations at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and Canada Soccer continues to follow all international protocols in staging this match.

Iran KILLED Canadians ! Again Iran Killed Canadians. And we are paying Iran 300,000 dollars to come play Canada in Canada. And us Canadian soccer fans are ok with this ??? Oh we need to prepare for the World Cup That’s your reasoning to make this ok. When our  sports association is so incompetent and they can not plan and organized a friendly a head time they had to go to Iran ! And again we are ok with this because oh we get to see Davies and David playing live. 
I am not Iranian , I have no Iranian heritage whatsoever just make that clear. This makes me sick to my stomach. What’s worse most of here are ok with this whole thing. We are saying it’s all good you killed Canadians, your welcome come play soccer here in Canada. Get all the press coverage and you get to stand side by side with Davies and David, oh wait here’s a bonus we will pay you with Canadian tax dollars. Imagine if Iran beats Canada in Canada. What do you think the headlines will be in Canada and Iran. 

This is plan stupid and wrong  !!!! and us supporters should be sending message to the CSA . 

Edited by SpecialK

On 5/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, SpecialK said:

The CSA is basically in the same boat. Can’t get any real Friendlies because of piss poor planning. 

From what I heard from someone I know inside, is that it all came down to cash…Canada had a lot of teams interested in playing them, but they weren’t willing to pay the fees these teams wanted. 

The CSA is just underfunded, they thought they would get more funding, because they qualified for the World Cup, but it never happened.

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

From what I heard from someone I know inside, is that it all came down to cash…Canada had a lot of teams interested in playing them, but they weren’t willing to pay the fees these teams wanted. 

The CSA is just underfunded, they thought they would get more funding, because they qualified for the World Cup, but it never happened.

But then what happens if Canada they do well at the World Cup too and then for example either go far in Nations League or even win it, then could we get more funding?

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

But then what happens if Canada they do well at the World Cup too and then for example either go far in Nations League or even win it, then could we get more funding?

That would be up to the powers that be, but I think that’s been an issue with the CSA for decades…they should have lobbied to have certain parameters in place if they qualified for the World Cup. It’s not like our government is afraid to spend money.

1 hour ago, SoCalTransport said:

As others have pointed out the CSA will receive quite a lot of money from FIFA for qualification in 2022. 2 million US for preparation and 10 million for participation in the group stage. 

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

At Canada Soccer we believe in the power of sport and its ability to bring people from different backgrounds and political beliefs together for a common purpose,” it said. “Iran is one of 32 participating member associations at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and Canada Soccer continues to follow all international protocols in staging this match.

Iran KILLED Canadians ! Again Iran Killed Canadians. And we are paying Iran 300,000 dollars to come play Canada in Canada. And us Canadian soccer fans are ok with this ??? Oh we need to prepare for the World Cup That’s your reasoning to make this ok. When our  sports association is so incompetent and they can not plan and organized a friendly a head time they had to go to Iran ! And again we are ok with this because oh we get to see Davies and David playing live. 
I am not Iranian , I have no Iranian heritage whatsoever just make that clear. This makes me sick to my stomach. What’s worse most of here are ok with this whole thing. We are saying it’s all good you killed Canadians, your welcome come play soccer here in Canada. Get all the press coverage and you get to stand side by side with Davies and David, oh wait here’s a bonus we will pay you with Canadian tax dollars. Imagine if Iran beats Canada in Canada. What do you think the headlines will be in Canada and Iran. 

This is plan stupid and wrong  !!!! and us supporters should be sending message to the CSA . 

This makes complete sense. I don’t think the CSA will listen at all (since when have they?) but it can’t hurt to send them an email in protest. Maybe better to contact our federal MPs. 

50 minutes ago, ECW said:

As others have pointed out the CSA will receive quite a lot of money from FIFA for qualification in 2022. 2 million US for preparation and 10 million for participation in the group stage. 

You’re right, but that’s peanuts when it comes to big soccer programs.

It’s pretty well know that Argentina wanted this match, but they have offers all over the world. So I would estimate that they want 3 million minimum to do a match like this. Iran probably had limited offers because of the political implications of playing them, so they would take almost any offer.

The funny thing about it is that Trudeau is now saying that it was a bad decision to play Iran, which he’s right, considering the history.

The federal government could have easily  offered funding, so they could have played another team.

It just smells bad, and very opportunistic politically in my opinion from our government.

18 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

You’re right, but that’s peanuts when it comes to big soccer programs.

It’s pretty well know that Argentina wanted this match, but they have offers all over the world. So I would estimate that they want 3 million minimum to do a match like this. Iran probably had limited offers because of the political implications of playing them, so they would take almost any offer.

The funny thing about it is that Trudeau is now saying that it was a bad decision to play Iran, which he’s right, considering the history.

The federal government could have easily  offered funding, so they could have played another team.

It just smells bad, and very opportunistic politically in my opinion from our government.

Yes, true, though I don’t see quite see what the federal government gets out of this match or why they would encourage it. 

On 5/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, ECW said:

Yes, true, though I don’t see quite see what the federal government gets out of this match or why they would encourage it. 

I don't think SoCalTransport is saying the government in any way encouraged this match intentionally, but the lack of funding that people are talking about (I assume they are referring to funding from the government? As opposed to from FIFA or some other source?) may have impacted who Canada could play friendlies against.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't think SoCalTransport is saying the government in any way encouraged this match intentionally, but the lack of funding that people are talking about (I assume they are referring to funding from the government? As opposed to from FIFA or some other source?) may have impacted who Canada could play friendlies against.

That’s exactly what I meant, especially with what the government wastes their money on. I can’t turn on YouTube without seeing a climate ad from the Canadian government…

Just imagine the scene Messi comes to BC Place, it will be like a celebration of Canadian Soccer, 40 years in the making.

If it’s just about money, Argentina is a big name club, you can charge about $120/avg for tickets, and you will recoup your investment for sure…

On 5/18/2022 at 9:12 AM, SoCalTransport said:

Under what pretext would the CSA get more funding because the MNT qualified for the WC? From the government? Does this happen in other sports in Canada? Does the CSA receive bonus funding when the WNT qualify for a major tournament?

I haven't looked at the CSA FS in a few years but if I recall correctly all government grants made up about 15% of total revenue so to afford some of the big name teams that have mentioned it would have required a huge bump. And I don't understand how that would even be possible? Sport Canada doesn't have reserve funds just sitting around to be handed out, they work through grants and contributions which for obvious reasons have rigorous oversight and application processes.

11 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Under what pretext would the CSA get more funding because the MNT qualified for the WC? From the government? Does this happen in other sports in Canada? Does the CSA receive bonus funding when the WNT qualify for a major tournament?

I haven't looked at the CSA FS in a few years but if I recall correctly all government grants made up about 15% of total revenue so to afford some of the big name teams that have mentioned it would have required a huge bump. And I don't understand how that would even be possible? Sport Canada doesn't have reserve funds just sitting around to be handed out, they work through grants and contributions which for obvious reasons have rigorous oversight and application processes.

Your an idiot ! FIFA gives extra money for training and for qualifying for the World Cup. 2 million for Prep and 10 million from the group stage
https://www.vbetnews.com/sport_type/fifa-world-cup-2022-prize-money/

Edited by SpecialK

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Your an idiot ! FIFA gives extra money for training and for qualifying for the World Cup. 2 million for Prep and 10 million from the group stage

I believe he is taking a federal funding from the Canadian government not FIFA funding. 

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

That's not what we're talking about.

I'm getting pretty tired of your petulant behaviour. Insults and name calling will not be tolerated. 

6 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I believe he is taking a federal funding from the Canadian government not FIFA funding. 

Regardless the mens and women's national teams will get more money because of their World Cups. Also the women’s team got more funding because they went to Olympics plus more money because they won gold. 

Also the CSA was entitled to covid money to help pay for staff and FIFA loans 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

That's not what we're talking about.

I'm getting pretty tired of your petulant behaviour. Insults and name calling will not be tolerated. 

Calling you an idiot is not name calling mate it’s the truth. Don’t Abuse your power

57 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Calling you an idiot is not name calling mate it’s the truth. Don’t Abuse your power

That makes no sense. It might be true, but it definitely is name-calling, which is typically not allowed on online forums. It's uncivil and dumb and there is no need for it.

See what I did there? I called your points stupid rather than calling you stupid. That is something you could argue against by showing how your point is not stupid and maybe something meaningful comes out of it. But, if I called you stupid, there's no recourse for you other than hurling an insult right back at me and nothing good comes from it. Be more like me.

Edited by ssk