Iran Football Scenerio

lbula17

7 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

Not meant to be political, I just see it trending on twitter😂

On the surface it may not seem political, like everything else but it is

But yah who knows likely someone from that region. Who could be UAE who happens to be fighting a proxy war with Iran in Yemen lol. Maybe to really make someone drop a bomb on the World Cup just replace them with Isreal

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

If Iran gets removed from the world cup, what teams could replace them and what are the seeding/pot implications?

They will just give the spot to the next AFC team in line.

May not have enough time to change the draw.

The winner of the Australia v UAE playoff would go to the World Cup and the loser would play the Conmebol team?

I can't imagine they screw with the pots/seedings, the replacement team would probably just Iran's spot as is. If Iran do get booted it would likely be after the draw anyway which would make things an even bigger nightmare if you wanted to re-jig things.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Can we dig up some dirt on SKorea Japan, Serbia etc? Let's get in to pot 2 if we can. I doubt any of these countries are down with LGBTs

There's plenty of genocide against the Igbo people of Nigeria, but the Super Eagles got in their own way and took themselves out of the running, so that's one less nation we need FIFA to dig dirt on and kick out to support our Pot dreams. 

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Surely this belongs in the "World Soccer" forum, we have enough new topics in the "Men's National Teams" forum lately 😂

Agreed, although since we are in the upcoming World Cup, I had been wondering whether a sub-section for "World Cup 2022 Qatar" within the Men's National Team forum would be a good idea. We are bound to be posting a crapload of news about the World Cup, some of which will be related to (if not directly about) the Men's National Team. For example, I'm assuming we will be doing possible opponents watch/scouting threads for all three teams we face in the first round and also the teams in the group that we'd meet when we get to the round of 16 (knock on wood), not sure it makes sense to post all of that stuff in the World Soccer forum.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

There's plenty of genocide against the Igbo people of Nigeria, but the Super Eagles got in their own way and took themselves out of the running, so that's one less nation we need FIFA to dig dirt on and kick out to support our Pot dreams. 

Your point is well taken, but the difference here would be that the Iran action happened at a FIFA event and therefore is in their purview to punish. Similar to the reasoning behind the NFL punishing guys more severely for betting on games or taking PEDs than for brutally assaulting their wives. Not saying I agree with that thinking, but that would be their rationale.

In the end I can't see FIFA doing anything about this.

FIFA needs to stop getting involved in politics.

They had a strict rule about governments not getting involved in football. They clearly didn't/don't care about the politics of Qatar hosting the World Cup.

The irony of FIFA banning Russia from a World Cup in Qatar is just too much. 

The common denominator all of this, as usual, is money. 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

FIFA needs to stop getting involved in politics.

They had a strict rule about governments not getting involved in football. They clearly didn't/don't care about the politics of Qatar hosting the World Cup.

The irony of FIFA banning Russia from a World Cup in Qatar is just too much. 

The common denominator all of this, as usual, is money. 

Pulling politics out of sport is like trying to remove egg from a cake. It’s already baked in.

But setting aside the bad take, even in the narrowest of interpretations this is well within FIFA’s remit. Women were tear gassed and beaten for trying to attend an Iranian football game, thereby violating FIFA’s statutes against gender discrimination. FIFA has been on Iran’s case about this since at least 2019. 

If Iran wants to stick to its guns, maybe they should form their own global football governing body with no girls or icky politics allowed. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2022 at 12:45 PM, VinceA said:

Is Iran getting kicked out a possibility?

Highly unlikely. The Iranians I know are much more worried about their current manager being ousted by their federation. Their football association sounds about as incompetent as the CSA. 

Edited by ECW