Mataeo Bunbury

Dominic94

1 minute ago, yomurphy1 said:

This is an irrelevant aside but I assume Teal is still eligible for Canada? Only played friendlies for the US, 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/teal-bunbury/nationalmannschaft/spieler/141217/verein_id/3505

I believe Teal filed a one-time switch from Canada to the US, so he's cap-tied. Ultimately a hilariously stupid decision, but hindsight is 20/20.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm surprised Alex hasn't then had Mataeo spend a couple of years with a CPL team to get him eligible for Canada.

I think that Alex allows Mataeo to make his own football related decisions.   The debacle with Teal still cuts deep.  

I wonder if this is with Birmingham's blessings.  Teams like Benfica don't randomly invite young Canadian players to train with them.  I am quite sure that he has been on their radar for a while.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, solsous said:

I think that Alex allows Mataeo to make his own football related decisions.   The debacle with Teal still cuts deep.  

I wonder if this is with Birmingham's blessings.  Teams like Benfica don't randomly invite young Canadian players to train with them.  I am quite sure that he has been on their radar for a while.

Debacle ? Teal made a choice.

12 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Debacle ? Teal made a choice.

The thing is, there is no pr from the USL or Birmingham.  Sometimes personalities like Alex can be heavy-handed in their children's professional development.  I hope that Mataeo doesn't get backlashed by his team.

35 minutes ago, solsous said:

Word is, Benfica has asked Mataeo to stay for an extra week for training/trailing.  I am elated to hear that, because it means that he will NOT be trialing/training with his dad's former team (Maritimo).  However, still crickets from Birmingham/USL.

Would imagine he’s going to be staying at benfica. 

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Isn’t he a dual of x country ?

He is a usa can duel - as per transfermarket. Does not have EU citizenship. 

But i'm not an expert of the rules. I don't think he is able to stay due to the lack of a Portuguese or EU passport.

Edited by Vasi

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

He is a usa can duel - as per transfermarket. Does not have EU citizenship. 

But i'm not an expert of the rules. I don't think he is able to stay due to the lack of a Portuguese or EU passport.

I think the best thing for this kid is that he is competing with his peers (u-19).  It should give him a good measure of where he stands.  Additionally, Benfica has some of the best youth coaches in Europe.  That said, he is still under contract with the Legions. 

17 hours ago, solsous said:

I think the best thing for this kid is that he is competing with his peers (u-19).  It should give him a good measure of where he stands.  Additionally, Benfica has some of the best youth coaches in Europe.  That said, he is still under contract with the Legions. 

I totally agree. Benfica has a great youth setup. Just depends on him being eligible to stay there. I'm not sure what the rules are in Portugal for foreign kids under 18.

Edited by Vasi

12 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If wikipedia is to be believed he was already with Sporting Lisbon's youth setup from 2016-19:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mataeo_Bunbury

Maybe Alex Bunbury was with Maritimo long enough to acquire citizenship or some sort of right to residency.

I believe that Alex has citizenship.  However, I think the plan is, if signed, he would be loaned back to Birmingham until he turns 18 in June.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So he’s likely to be signed ?

I am not sure, but he was asked to stay for a 2nd week.

There is a high profile American player(Joshua Winder) in camp.  I think Benfica would sign him before they sign Mataeo.

Edited by solsous
Additional information.

43 minutes ago, solsous said:

I am not sure, but he was asked to stay for a 2nd week.

There is a high profile American player(Joshua Winder) in camp.  I think Benfica would sign him before they sign Mataeo.

The Americans are taking over…. I thought Bunbury was one of the better Americans ?

I am glad to read that Alex is being  honoured by his Club CS Marítimo.  If Alex had not been cut from our National team back in the years by I think Lenarduzzi, we would have qualified sooner for a World Cup.  Alex was the best we had and he can score goals.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/o-alex-do-maritimo-bunbury-honoured-as-club-legend/

3 hours ago, The Ref said:

I am glad to read that Alex is being  honoured by his Club CS Marítimo.  If Alex had not been cut from our National team back in the years by I think Lenarduzzi, we would have qualified sooner for a World Cup.  Alex was the best we had and he can score goals.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/o-alex-do-maritimo-bunbury-honoured-as-club-legend/

Lenarduzzi, perhaps more than any CMNT coach had his favourites and those to whom he never gave a chance.

Radzinksi, Fernando Aguiar, Nick De Santis,  and one other fellow playing in Montreal were routinely excluded by Lenarduzzi during his tenure as coach.

Think with Tomasz Radzinski it was more a case of not showing up in case it harmed his club career, but why Fernando Aguiar wasn't being called up was definitely a mystery and was questioned through the media by the player himself AFAIR. Lenarduzzi appeared to have a bit of a bias in favour of players with a BC/86ers background who were a good fit for Tony Waiters style tactics and Aguiar didn't tick either of those boxes.

Bunbury and Aguiar were regular starters under Lenarduzzi. It was Holger who dropped them from the national team due to his own infantile reasons. In Bunbury's case he turned down an invite to the first friendly game under Holger because he was in the process of negotiating his transfer from Portugal to the MLS. Holger apparently took it as a personal snub and never called him after that. Not sure what Aguiar did to piss him off.

Radzinski failed to show up for a WCQ when he had accepted a call up. He didn't get on the plane and never informed the team that he wasn't coming. He was rightly suspended, although Lendarduzzi should shoulder some blame for the circumstances that led to that incident.