WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

narduch

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the cmnt is a money maker moving forward. We need better stadiums in this country. We need to figure it out 

Soccer is really going to have to take off in this country to get more stadiums built, because the CFL isn't rich enough and taxpayers are getting tired of footing the bill for sports toys. The only major stadia built this century are in the CFL's two flagship cities, and a Lego stadium in the city with the most benevolent ownership. Only in Toronto, IMO, could a business case be made for a new stadium that wouldn't turn out to be a white elephant.

Edited by jonovision

Lineup I want to see tonight (4-3-3)

Millar-Cava-Ugbo

Kaye-Fraser-Kone

Adekugbe-Kennedy-Henry-Johnston

Crepeau

Almost full rotation. Nobody starting three matches. Get Gutierrez in there for a good run out in the second half.

Pots be damned, but this lineup can beat a beaten Panama anyway. I don't know enough about Ugbo to know if he can play there, but Buchanan has played enough minutes for club and country lately.

Edited by jonovision

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The only major stadia built this century are in the CFL's two flagship cities, and a Lego stadium in the city with the most benevolent ownership.

Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton and Toronto have all had new major stadia built this century. Which is which?

Additionally, Montreal got its own Lego stadium as well (too small to be considered "major" in this context), and Vancouver had its 80s-era concrete bowl massively upgraded into a modern jewel.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton and Toronto have all had new major stadia built this century. Which is which?

Additionally, Montreal got its own Lego stadium as well (too small to be considered "major" in this context), and Vancouver had its 80s-era concrete bowl massively upgraded into a modern jewel.

Somehow I forgot about Toronto. Is BC Place a modern jewel now? From TV broadcasts it's hard to tell the difference. Lego stadium is Hamilton.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Somehow I forgot about Toronto. Is BC Place a modern jewel now? From TV broadcasts it's hard to tell the difference. Lego stadium is Hamilton.

With grass, BC Place would be the best stadium in the country, IMO.

Interestingly, of the four stadia I originally mentioned, BMO Field is the one that was mostly paid for by its tenants, at least when taking total construction spend into account (the 2015-16 $150 million renovation was almost entirely paid for by MLSE).

I saw a comment on twitter that Herdman has used a different XI in every match of the Ocho so far. I don't suppose this is that uncommon, given the harsh suspension rules, and other factors. In any case, one has to imagine that will continue this evening, with the chance to insert a few different players.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This will be the last ever WCQ match for Hutchinson and others. Maybe the last time they ever play an away match in CONCACAF as well (if they're not involved in nations league). 

Def for WCQ Maybe not for CONCACAF, Borjan seems to want Hutchinson to play until 2026 WC

Canada is currently a -110, with the draw at +225.

I'm not one to be trusted to pick a lineup but I what the hell...

--------------- David ---- Larin -------------------

Millar ------ Eustaquio ----- Kone ------Buchanan

---------------------Fraser------------------------

------Miller----------Henry---------Johnston-----

--------------------Crepeau-----------------------

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Lineup I want to see tonight (4-3-3)

Millar-Cava-Ugbo

Kaye-Fraser-Kone

Adekugbe-Kennedy-Henry-Johnston

Crepeau

Almost full rotation. Nobody starting three matches. Get Gutierrez in there for a good run out in the second half.

Pots be damned, but this lineup can beat a beaten Panama anyway. I don't know enough about Ugbo to know if he can play there, but Buchanan has played enough minutes for club and country lately.

I like the 11 you picked.  I'm also liking the Kennedy/Henry combo.

I just don't recall us playing 4-3-3- in a while, it's been mostly 4-4-2 and 3-5-2/3-4-3, i'd stick to the systems to make everyone learn the system as mush as possible.  

31 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Amazing that we have played 25 games in the last 12 months.  Unthinkable for any international side.

It's funny that a daunting task that looked like it would be very tough to navigate in the end has surely helped us gel as a team and given JH plenty of opportunities to look at the player pool and apply different strategies!

49 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Canada is currently a -110, with the draw at +225.

I'm not one to be trusted to pick a lineup but I what the hell...

--------------- David ---- Larin -------------------

Millar ------ Eustaquio ----- Kone ------Buchanan

---------------------Fraser------------------------

------Miller----------Henry---------Johnston-----

--------------------Crepeau-----------------------

Seems plausible, though I am curious about whether Henry is fit enough to start. Ditto for Vitoria. If Hutchinson is still with the squad then he's likely to be the man to start if the two regulars are unable to go, but if not perhaps we finally see a lefty in the middle, which a lot of people have called for. 

I don't see how Millar doesn't start this one, so I suspect you've gotten that right. I would personally like to see Cornelius get in there somehow and he started away to Jamaica, maybe we see him. 

Like others, I am hoping and thinking Ugbo gets the nod from the start. I see Kaye getting into this one, with possibly Eustaquio, but I want to see Kone get big minutes in this one. I would also like to see Gutierrez. If we don't see him tonight I will be surprised. It will be interesting to see if Herdman would trust him from the start. 

Considering all that, here's my stab at it (even though it's a fool's errand with Herdman):

--------David-----Ugbo------

Millar---Kaye--Eustaquio--Buchanan

Gutierrez--Cornelius--Vitoria--Johnston

------------Crepeau-------------

This is admittedly more of what I would like to see, but it's influenced by who I think Herdman will start.