WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

narduch

14 hours ago, Shway said:

Yea I was having a laugh, but it wasn’t easy since he’s not listed anywhere.

I used to play with him when I was in NTC Ontario for a bit, so I instantly recognized his face. 

I know Shane well.  When did you train with him at NTC?

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

My recollection of him was that he was quite the prospect and a striker I believe but then had a serious injury that derailed his career.

Incredible player at the 88 age group.  One of the top prospects in the country for sure.  Shane is actually his middle name and what he goes by but his real name is actually Selvin so you might find more about him under that name.  Represented Ontario and Canada at many youth levels.

After playing he stayed involved at both the OSA & then CSA levels and has worked his way up.

Edited by Corazon

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I wonder if he won’t even coach tomorrow? I would assume he does but he likely doesn’t give AF at this point 

Wishful thinking. He came off the pitch in tears last match so if this is indeed the end he'll want to finish strong.

The players caring is another story. They are at home so I would expect a tough match, just like you would for any international match.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I know Shane well.  When did you train with him at NTC?

Like 16 years ago…2006 I believe wow.

I joined when it was the last year of it I believe. Hes a few years older than I am, but he was one of the guys that I remember who ran the show/did what they want lol. Him Nana, AJ - were close. 

He was as baller but like a lot of guys who had his profile, opportunities passed YNT, or provincial teams was very slim. 

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

Like 16 years ago…2006 I believe wow.

I joined when it was the last year of it I believe. Hes a few years older than I am, but he was one of the guys that I remember who ran the show/did what they want lol. Him Nana, AJ - were close. 

He was as baller but like a lot of guys who had his profile, opportunities passed YNT, or provincial teams was very slim. 

All the best players from 88 age group (Nana was an 89).  I believe Kennedy Owusu-Ansah was younger as well.  As was Junior who played that age group before moving to England.

Players like those above including Shane would have gone on to do much greater things in the sport today in Canada.  Remarkable the growth we have seen in the past 15-20 years.

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

All the best players from 88 age group (Nana was an 89).  I believe Kennedy Owusu-Ansah was younger as well.  As was Junior who played that age group before moving to England.

Players like those above including Shane would have gone on to do much greater things in the sport today in Canada.  Remarkable the growth we have seen in the past 15-20 years.

Gabe Gala was another guy part of that NTC Ontario group. 

On 3/28/2022 at 11:18 AM, RJB said:

The Panama game deserves full rotation.  Think of those guys like Cornelius that have barely played, they deserve it!  I'd start Crepeau, Cornelius, Ugbo, Millar, Kone, Fraser, and whoever else has barely played. It's a dead rubber, and you have to reward the guys who have been along.  

With Pot 3 in play, the dynamic changes qite a bit.

Soooo, I wonder if the hotel that the team stayed at for the 2014 WCQ in Panama comped us some free rooms tonight to make up for the unfortunate disturbances on our previous stay.  @RS surely has some good memories.  

Edited by sstackho

10 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Soooo, I wonder if the hotel that the team stayed at for the 2014 WCQ in Panama comped us some free rooms tonight to make up for the unfortunate disturbances on our previous stay.  @RS surely has some good memories.  

I'm assuming Canada learned their lesson and are not staying in the downtown core this time around (even though there's no longer anything in it for Panama).

2 hours ago, RS said:

I'm assuming Canada learned their lesson and are not staying in the downtown core this time around (even though there's no longer anything in it for Panama).

I can tell you that they were nowhere near the central core of San José.  It was one of the nicest Marriotts I’ve stayed in.