WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

narduch

34 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Let me be specific. BMO being in Canada's largest city and with demographics that can generate a massive fan base should be much larger than 29K. I get that TFC has not been on fire the last few years but presumably  mgt are going for increased attendance with the signing of Insigne. A stand at the north side (I know the Argos) and a 2nd level on the south end, would get us to +40K?.  Re Commonwealth it needs upgraded facilities and a grass pitch. BC place needs a grass pitch. This will all be required if those 3 cities are hosting WC games in 2026 so why not get cracking sooner rather than later.  Open ends at BMO and @ Commonwealth stadium just don't give them a soccer feel. If Canada can sustain it's level of quality and continue to improve, we are going to have to upgrade the soccer infrastructure in this country to accommodate the increased fan base.

Commonwealth needs grass, but what else does it "need". The generosity of businessmen with taxpayer dollars for fancy restaurants and lounges (that most (me) will never be in)  in sports facilities gets me.

Edited by clamlinguine

Just now, clamlinguine said:

Commonwealth needs grass, but what else does it "need". The generosity of businessmen with taxpayer dollars for fancy restaurants and lounges in sports facilities gets me.

There was an article/ report re upgrades required (other than grass) after FIFA officials toured the stadium re suitability for hosting WC games for 2026. 

24 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

Commonwealth needs grass, but what else does it "need". The generosity of businessmen with taxpayer dollars for fancy restaurants and lounges (that most (me) will never be in)  in sports facilities gets me.

that's the world we live.... back in 2014 when the Miami heat were the best team, my friends and I paid for platinum seats to the game. A half time the "Cher Club" opens up (its basically a club inside the Scotiabank) that isn't available to all....they spent the rest of the game inside their, watching the game on the TV screens. 

Those amenities are literally for the people who don't really care about the sport, want to show their status and are just there to have conversation.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Let me be specific. BMO being in Canada's largest city and with demographics that can generate a massive fan base should be much larger than 29K. I get that TFC has not been on fire the last few years but presumably  mgt are going for increased attendance with the signing of Insigne. A stand at the north side (I know the Argos) and a 2nd level on the south end, would get us to +40K?.  Re Commonwealth it needs upgraded facilities and a grass pitch. BC place needs a grass pitch. This will all be required if those 3 cities are hosting WC games in 2026 so why not get cracking sooner rather than later.  Open ends at BMO and @ Commonwealth stadium just don't give them a soccer feel. If Canada can sustain it's level of quality and continue to improve, we are going to have to upgrade the soccer infrastructure in this country to accommodate the increased fan base.

The thing with BMO Field is that it does not need to be expanded for TFC. Maybe Insigne and new winning ways changes that.

But currently there is nearly zero secondary market for tickets. That basically dies when they expanded from 20,000.

I am a little shocked they can still maintain 20k+ season ticket holders. If you have to miss a game its hard to sell tickets even at cost.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

that's the world we live.... back in 2014 when the Miami heat were the best team, my friends and I paid for platinum seats to the game. A half time the "Cher Club" opens up (its basically a club inside the Scotiabank) that isn't available to all....they spent the rest of the game inside their, watching the game on the TV screens. 

Those amenities are literally for the people who don't really care about the sport, want to show their status and are just there to have conversation.

Yeah that stuff is fine, even great,  but I wish it wasn't an essential criteria. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I want Larin to score a couple to over take the lead in the overall FIFA World Cup qualifying scoring title.

Currently 1 behind some guy from UAE.

Doesn't UAE potentially have two more games?  vs. Australia and then potentially vs. Peru?

1 hour ago, clamlinguine said:

I'm going to really enjoy the game today. Nice and tension free. Just gonna enjoy the sport, and hopefully check out some of the guys we haven't seen much of so far.

TENSION FREE!!!!!!!??????? ARE YOU MAD, MATE???????? *breathe*breathe*breathe again*. There's first overall at stake and did you forget Pot 3? 

Okay. I'm going to a safe place now.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The thing with BMO Field is that it does not need to be expanded for TFC. Maybe Insigne and new winning ways changes that.

But currently there is nearly zero secondary market for tickets. That basically dies when they expanded from 20,000.

I am a little shocked they can still maintain 20k+ season ticket holders. If you have to miss a game its hard to sell tickets even at cost.

Pre Covid/Armas era, Toronto FC was essentially 3rd/4th highest attendance in MLS between 2014 through 2019.  Essentially selling our or close to for most games.  Unfortunately it looks as though it might take some time to get back to those numbers based on early attendances so far this year.  It also helped that several of those teams were some of the best in the league.

1 hour ago, clamlinguine said:

I'm going to really enjoy the game today. Nice and tension free. Just gonna enjoy the sport, and hopefully check out some of the guys we haven't seen much of so far.

I was thinking the same thing but with the pot 3 scenario and just the thought of putting an ! on winning the group I will be pumped up for the match for sure! It is nice to know we are qualified and we don't have to worry about unlikely results screwing us!

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the cmnt is a money maker moving forward. We need better stadiums in this country. We need to figure it out 

If they wanted to make something happen for 2026, they better start sending out RFPs and planning.  Don’t think there’s enough time though…the Qatar stadiums started construction well before 2018 i think.

58 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the cmnt is a money maker moving forward. We need better stadiums in this country. We need to figure it out 

At the very least, you would think between TFC, a WSL team, both Mens / woman’s NT, they could fix BMO field to be a proper stadium and let the argos go elsewhere.

There is enough soccer being played to justify it. Leaving that aside, the argos would be better suited elsewhere.