WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

narduch

It looks like there may be two prevailing logics here for starting players; one being rewarding some guys who havent played much vs playing for pot 3 and a few other things still up for grabs. 

Its close, I admit that. I would argue for the latter camp and say play our best 11 or as close to (if fit and willing) for our last WCQ. There is still alot to play for and we should be trying to continue to set and reach high bench marks and goals. 

We still have a realistic chance at pot 3 (yes, I know the math and permutations vs other confederations). We will most likely have to win our last game for the ranking points anyway. We should care about the ranking points regardless.  This alone should be reason enough.

Second, we are still playing for 1st in Concacaf.  The states still have a shot despite our goal difference over them. A loss vs Panama and a large American win could yet seal it for the yanks. Playing for 1st, is what we should be doing to close this out as it breeds that winning and prepared mentality for the WC. We wont play a bigger game until the group stage and is a great way to shift our focus immediately to competing at the big show.

Third, Larin deserves a shot at the scoring title. Among minor reasons: this game is good prep for our top guys anyway as Panama will not be out for a draw or loss or a friendly game anyway. They will be highly competative, filled with emotion at home. Their next cycle starts in this game. We have already lost our undefeated run. A win in Central America is just a great way for us to claw some of this back and is another serious take away we can look back at when future teams look at what we did right in this cycle. Overall we are really only still learning how to get away results in CONCACAF. They are not guaranteed in the future just because we are better and every win down there teaches Canadian soccer on and off the pitch, not to mention the confidence factor. 

I get the sentiment to reward our guys I just dont think this last game is the time for this. It does depend on your goals. If you are happy with qualification alone, I see your side. 

If we would have sowed up everything already, personally I would say play the non regulars hands down. 

I am also completely confident they will get their shots to play after WCQ. 

34 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

If we’re already set in pot 4, I would like to see:

Millar            Cavallini           Ugbo                                               

Kaye         Fraser        Koné

Gutiérrez           Cornelius               Henry*           Johnston**

Crépeau

*Henry looked like he had a hamstring niggle against Jamaica. Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him, but obviously replacements are few and far between unless we call in someone from the taxi squad. 

**Feel free to start Laryea over Johnston, or both with Johnston as RCB.

This is a perfect line up for the Panama game

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think Besiktas wants both Larin and Atiba back in Istanbul.  Perhaps same with Brugge and Buchanan.  

They just brought in a new manager.  He plays a 3-4-3 system.  Larin is a free agent, so it will be interesting to see what interest there is out there for him.

I feel like this last game could be a tough one.  2 days of partying is a tough way to prepare for a match..lol.  The boys deserved their fun though!  I'm hoping to see Ugbo and Kone for sure.

Edited by prairiecanuck

Just now, prairiecanuck said:

They just brought in a new manager.  He plays a 3-4-3 system.  Larin is a free agent, so it will be interesting to see what interest there is out there for him.

I feel like this last game could be a tough one.  2 days of partying is a tough way to prepare for a match..lol.  The boys deserved their fun though!  I'm hoping Ugbo and Kone for sure.

Looks like they are all at the Raptors game.

Larin, Atiba and Tajon are still with the club as the whole squad is at the Raptors game. The only player not there as far as I noticed was Borjan.

there’s a lot of partying and celebrating, I’m not sure if they care much at all about the Panama match.

edit: MAK isn’t in the pic either 

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Joe Keeper said:

It looks like there may be two prevailing logics here for starting players; one being rewarding some guys who havent played much vs playing for pot 3 and a few other things still up for grabs. 

Its close, I admit that. I would argue for the latter camp and say play our best 11 or as close to (if fit and willing) for our last WCQ. There is still alot to play for and we should be trying to continue to set and reach high bench marks and goals. 

We still have a realistic chance at pot 3 (yes, I know the math and permutations vs other confederations). We will most likely have to win our last game for the ranking points anyway. We should care about the ranking points regardless.  This alone should be reason enough.

Second, we are still playing for 1st in Concacaf.  The states still have a shot despite our goal difference over them. A loss vs Panama and a large American win could yet seal it for the yanks. Playing for 1st, is what we should be doing to close this out as it breeds that winning and prepared mentality for the WC. We wont play a bigger game until the group stage and is a great way to shift our focus immediately to competing at the big show.

Third, Larin deserves a shot at the scoring title. Among minor reasons: this game is good prep for our top guys anyway as Panama will not be out for a draw or loss or a friendly game anyway. They will be highly competative, filled with emotion at home. Their next cycle starts in this game. We have already lost our undefeated run. A win in Central America is just a great way for us to claw some of this back and is another serious take away we can look back at when future teams look at what we did right in this cycle. Overall we are really only still learning how to get away results in CONCACAF. They are not guaranteed in the future just because we are better and every win down there teaches Canadian soccer on and off the pitch, not to mention the confidence factor. 

I get the sentiment to reward our guys I just dont think this last game is the time for this. It does depend on your goals. If you are happy with qualification alone, I see your side. 

If we would have sowed up everything already, personally I would say play the non regulars hands down. 

I am also completely confident they will get their shots to play after WCQ. 

The decision of whether to go for it or not will be made for Herdman. Every other game of consequence to the pots will be finished by tomorrow.  We will know exactly what result we need for pot 3 and if it is possible to get there.

Edited by footballfreak

2 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

The decision of whether to go for it or not will be made for Herdman. Every other game of consequence to the pots will be finished by tomorrow.  We will know exactly what result we need for pot 3 and if it is possible to get there.

That is how I see it going as well.  We are no longer undefeated so that isn't at stake.  I suspect whatever team we field will be capable of getting at least a draw against a beaten Panama team, so I don't see a ton of risk in rotating some guys to placate their clubs.  For me the big issue is Pot 3.  If we still have a chance at it with a win, we probably go full strength because that could provide a very real and very important advantage at the WC compared to a pot 4 seeding.  That would be worth aggravating some of the clubs.  But if that can't happen with a win, I think we see some rotation.  Not going to predict specific like whether or not Larin starts to try and get the record, but I do think you would see guys like David, Vitoria, Buchanan either sitting it out or starting on the bench.

52 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Yes, i know the kick off times too. I think there are other highly valid reasons for putting up our best 11 possible as I stated in my post though. I also dont see John picking his side based only on interconfederation math. I think Herdman wants to give a good final account of our selves. The final overall record really seems to matter to him. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

@narduch @jonovision @Gian-Luca

say it with me, “the spirit of Gerry lives in me” 🤣

The guy in the hoodie is Shane Lammie…one of the assistant coaches. 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=1804&teamId=2078

Haha thanks. There is no way that I thought that was Cornelius (or JDG), but he was one of the only guys not accounted for. 

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Haha thanks. There is no way that I thought that was Cornelius (or JDG), but he was one of the only guys not accounted for. 

Yea I was having a laugh, but it wasn’t easy since he’s not listed anywhere.

I used to play with him when I was in NTC Ontario for a bit, so I instantly recognized his face. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like they are all at the Raptors game.

Was at the game and can confirm a few things:

1. The name Wotherspoon looks ridiculous on the back of a Raptors jersey, I don't know how they fit it on there.

2. Kamal Miller seems like a guy I'd love to go on a night on the town with

3. Borjan, MAK, Cornelius, and I guess Piette were the only guys at BMO yesterday that I did not see today

2 hours ago, Shway said:

@narduch @jonovision @Gian-Luca

say it with me, “the spirit of Gerry lives in me” 🤣

The guy in the hoodie is Shane Lammie…one of the assistant coaches. 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=1804&teamId=2078

My recollection of him was that he was quite the prospect and a striker I believe but then had a serious injury that derailed his career.

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Help me out here: who are the players between Eustaquio and Crepeau and who is in the white hoodie to David's right?

I heard that ZBG  - along with Piette and Wotherspoon - was invited to the Jamaica game. It kinda looks like him.