WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

narduch

• narduch changed the title to WCQ: Panama v Canada - Wednesday, March 30, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Panama City

With Canada vs Panama in Panama, I would rest most of my starters especially giving them rest so they can go back fit for their club teams because we are already qualified anyway but I would probably have like 2 or 3 of our main starters playing but the other 7 or 8 players would be our bench guys

Part of me is thinking we go for a full rotation to reward the bench players but then the other part of me is thinking we're 2 days away from the WC draw and it would be foolish to take the foot off the gas now.

Something like this:

------------Cavallini--David---------------

Millar--------Kaye---Kone------Buchanan

Gutierrez--Cornelius--Henry---Johnston

----------------Crepeau--------------

Looking forward to this one. Still lots to play for.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Part of me is thinking we go for a full rotation to reward the bench players but then the other part of me is thinking we're 2 days away from the WC draw and it would be foolish to take the foot off the gas now.

Something like this:

Generally agree but I wouldnt start David. He's been playing non-stop for club and country the last year so I would give him a break. Ugbo could start in his place

I’d really like to see Ugbo get a start and play close to 90. He’s barely been given a chance to show his stuff (not blaming Herdman or that he’s been robbed for playing time) and show us what kind of threat he can be.

I can tell you one thing, this will be the most relaxed I’ve been watching a game in quite some time 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Something like this:

This. maybe Ugbo for David though, and I'd consider Richie for Tajon too as he's lacking club minutes.

I could see Larin getting minutes, maybe not starting, for the record chase.  

Anyone following the Panamanian team?  Based on what I’m reading, their manager was quite emotional after being eliminated yesterday, and wants to commit to Panama for another cycle.  Salary negotiations being the main obstacle…

https://panamagol.com/la-sele/entre-lagrimas-christiansen-asegura-que-quiere-renovar-con-panama/

i think they will be prepared and give a professional effort on Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think Besiktas wants both Larin and Atiba back in Istanbul.  Perhaps same with Brugge and Buchanan.  

I think this is embedded perhaps in your comment... there is a lot of value in letting guys that are important to their clubs overseas go. Even if it turns out we wind up chasing Pot 3 Wednesday.

These club/country relationships are awkward and can easily go very wrong (see the Swiderski/MLS Charlotte story this weekend). We are not Germany or Brazil (just yet!) and need to put something away in the goodwill bank... we will want to call these guys into camp in the fall and the stance of their club will be important, it's about more than just FIFA dates. For the MLS guys, no issue, but clubs like Brugge, Besiktas (and Reading I assume) will rightly be very worried about the wear and tear we have put on their players ...

Edited by ensco

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I think Besiktas wants both Larin and Atiba back in Istanbul.  Perhaps same with Brugge and Buchanan.  

Do they? GIven the amount of playing time the two have been getting lately, you'd think they hardly knew they had two World Cup players in their team.

That said, they just signed a new manager a few days ago so he may want to get to know his team as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Anyone following the Panamanian team?  Based on what I’m reading, their manager was quite emotional after being eliminated yesterday, and wants to commit to Panama for another cycle.  Salary negotiations being the main obstacle…

They should bring back the twin managers.  I loved those guys. 

image.png.35366ec46fdd36490d36169374cbf59d.png

1 hour ago, ensco said:

I think this is embedded perhaps in your comment... there is a lot of value in letting guys that are important to their clubs overseas go. Even if it turns out we wind up chasing Pot 3 Wednesday.

These club/country relationships are awkward and can easily go very wrong (see the Swiderski/MLS Charlotte story this weekend). We are not Germany or Brazil (just yet!) and need to put something away in the goodwill bank... we will want to call these guys into camp in the fall and the stance of their club will be important, it's about more than just FIFA dates. For the MLS guys, no issue, but clubs like Brugge, Besiktas (and Reading I assume) will rightly be very worried about the wear and tear we have put on their players ...

We are probably going to want to play World Cup prep friendlies on non-FIFA dates (perhaps in July).

Keeping the clubs happy is a good idea.

1 hour ago, ensco said:

Thankfully we don't have to deal with the guys over at Unattached FC anymore 

If we’re already set in pot 4, I would like to see:

Millar            Cavallini           Ugbo                                               

Kaye         Fraser        Koné

Gutiérrez           Cornelius               Henry*           Johnston**

Crépeau

*Henry looked like he had a hamstring niggle against Jamaica. Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him, but obviously replacements are few and far between unless we call in someone from the taxi squad. 

**Feel free to start Laryea over Johnston, or both with Johnston as RCB.