Qatar Roster Selection

mrstepp817

1 hour ago, ballerz said:

1) Assuming a 3-5-2 starting lineup 11 of: David (F), Larin (F), Davies (LW), Hoilett (AM), Buchanon (RW), Atiba (CM), Eustaquio (CM), Miller (CBL), Vitoria (CB), Johnston (CBR), Borjan (GK).

(2) Assuming the following six players are possible starters if we use another formation and/or is otherwise a lock on the team: Laryea (WBR), Adekugbe (WBL), Osorio (CM), Kaye (CM), Kennedy (CBL), Crepeau (GK)

(3) Assuming a 26 man roster for Qatar, here are the battles for the remaining 9 roster spots:

Forwards: 5 players (Ugbo, Millar, Cavalini, Corbeanu, Akinola) battling for 2 or 3 spots...and possibly Jebbison

Ugbo plays for the highest profile club. Millar is performing the best at club. Cavalini fills a particular need but seems to be doing better at club in 2022 compared to 2021.

League One is not good enough of a level for the national team but there is a chance Corbeanu can show enough at a higher level. Akinola is interesting if he can return to 2020 level - seems like his recovery is ahead of schedule and he needs to show his stuff at Nations League. Jebbison is a wildcard.

Midfielders: A bunch of guys (Piette, Kone, Fraser, Teibert, Choiniere, Priso, JMR, Nelson, insert another MLS guy, etc, Mitrovic) battling for 3 or 4 spots

We have very thin depth here. I still say Piette is almost a lock on the team due to Herdman’s loyalty to him and his defensive style. Herdman likes Fraser and he has been magnificient for country when called upon, but with someone like Kone emerging, Fraser is redundant to Piette.

We will have an interesting battle to see which young MLS Canadian will have a good year for the remaining 1 or 2 spots. I don’t think we should bend down to Mitrovic/Flores as the MLS level is clearly on par or better than the Serbian league/youth English setup and there are a bunch of youngsters doing as well. But they are true 10s and we don’t have that in the pipeline so any pleading for them to commit is based on positional need and not that their level of play is higher than a kid the same age starting in the MLS.

Really hope a MLS kid takes off because we need it. Can see it with JMR, Nelson or Kone grabbing the opportunity they are given to put in a Buchanan like year and then use the WC as a springboard to Europe.

Wotherspoon's injury recovery timeline is too tight. Paton and Edwards have been too much of an outsider for consideration at this point although they should be given the Nations League for a look. 

Defenders: 6 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Godinho) battling for 3 or 4 spots

CB: Ideally, we would be taking 6 CBs for our system. The battle at CB is 3 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman) for 2 spots.

FB: There is more cover on the right side so I think Gutierrez and not ZBG goes to Qatar. But if the young midfielders don't breakout this year, there might be room for ZBG. 

Keeper: 5 players (Leutwiler, Hasal, Breza, St Clair, Pantemis) for 1 spot

I think the 3rd keeper spot will go to whoever has the best year in the MLS. Hasal is the most clear No.1 at club of the four in MLS. St Clair may have reclaimed his starting job. Both he and Hasal made a TOTW in the young season. Breza had some highs and low but there is still a ton of time to go. I will take anyone who can hold down a MLS starting keeper job over the experienced Leutwiler.

Luca Petrasso and Lucas MacNaughton should be added.

20 minutes ago, QBCS said:

Some people on the outside looking in for me
-Corbeanu

-Petrasso if he keeps form

-Leutwiler, St. Clair is better. I'd be surprised if we bring him

- Kone as of now, but I think he'll be an obvious one come november.

I could see Petrasso and Kone. Not so much for St Clair though.

But if I'm taking 23 to Qatar, then my 23 man squad however would look like this:

GK- Borjan, Crepeau, St Clair (3 goalkeepers)

DF- Johnston, Kennedy, Miller, Laryea, Adekudgbe, MacNaughton (new boy) (6 defenders)

MID- Atiba, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Eustaquio, Kone (new boy), Petrasso (new boy) and Wotherspoon (8 midfielders)

FW- Davies, David, Larin, Ugbo, Hoilett and Cavallini (6 forwards)

This is if we have to take 23 players to Qatar with us

Edited by TGAA_Star

Just now, TGAA_Star said:

But if I'm taking 23 to Qatar, then my 23 man squad however would look like this:

DF- Johnston, Kennedy, Miller, Laryea, Adekudgbe, Henry (6 defenders)

MID- Atiba, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Eustaquio, Kone (new boy), Petrasso (new boy) and Wotherspoon (8 midfielders)

How many are allowed in a roster?

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

DF- Johnston, Kennedy, Miller, Laryea, Adekudgbe, MacNaughton (new boy) (6 defenders)

I love MacNaughton, but I take Vitoria over him. But maybe that's because of the huge smile I saw on his face when he celebrated qualification with his kids yesterday at BMO.

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

I am beginning to wonder if it may already be the end of the road for Vitoria. And he wont be able to go to Qatar.

Hopefully he can come back from his injury and this is just paranoia on my part.

That would suck.  On the verge of a life-moment, and then derailed.  Fingers crossed he can come back 100% and suit up for us in November.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would suck.  On the verge of a life-moment, and then derailed.  Fingers crossed he can come back 100% and suit up for us in November.

That's going to be a feeling for every single player as we near closer to November. It almost feels statistically inevitable that at least one person is going to miss out due to injury.

My 19 man locked in list is that essentially make up the brootherhood.

Goalies: Borjan, Crepeau
Defenders: Laryea, Adekugbe, Vitoria, Johnston, Henry, Miller, Kennedy
Midfielders: Hutchinson, Osorio, Eustaqiuo, Kaye
Attackers: David, Larin, Cavallini, Davies, Buchanan, Hoilett

Leaving 3 spots up for grabs, as one has to be a keeper.

Regularly featured: Piette, Corneilius, Millar, Ugbo, and Fraser.
Been in camp guys: Brym, ZBG, Shaffelburg and Gutierrez 
Young guns: Kone, Priso, Akinola, Corbeanu
Dual Nationals : Jebbison, Flores, Mitrovic, Holmes

That's 17 potential guys to get on the plane. That's why I believe NL will be the final audition for some guys. 
Which will be very interesting in the coming months. 

Someone could even have a breakout tournament at the U20's

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Vitoria was a game time fitness test from playing yesterday and we’re writing his career off to be replaced at the world cup by mcnaughton?

Did i miss something?

I never suggested McNaughton as his replacement.

The guy has played about 1 game in the past 2 months.

Something does not add up here.

9 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Not you specifically. Multiple combined posts above. 

Only 1 person has suggested McNaughton over Vitoria.

I do think that both Petrasso and McNaughton are both in positions to battle for a spot especially since I expect the roster size to be 26 (same as Euro 2020).

I think McNaughton has an okay chance at finding a way into the squad if he can be a consistent starter for TFC, it's not like we have very many options at RCB. 

Petrasso will have a harder time due to the depth we have at wingback, but with the start of the season he is having I think he is in the "battling for a spot" group.

Edited by Xavier.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean I would take Vitoria too but MacNaughton the form he is in, how can you not

2 games in March is not can't miss form. Let's see him do it for a full season at MLS level first. Vitoria has been a starting CB for years in the Portuguese League. MacNaughton has under 200 minutes of highish (MLS) level football. (I love CPL but we all know it's nowhere near World Cup level football) 

Edited by rydermike

39 minutes ago, rydermike said:

2 games in March is not can't miss form. Let's see him do it for a full season at MLS level first. Vitoria has been a starting CB for years in the Portuguese League. MacNaughton has under 200 minutes of highish (MLS) level football. (I love CPL but we all know it's nowhere near World Cup level football) 

Yeah but if Vitoria has a serious injury that could keep him out for months, then who knows. But if he's healthy by November 22nd when Qatar starts, then you have to take Vitoria.

My 26 man roster. 

Goal

Borjan

Crepeau

St Clair

Defenders

Laryea

Sammy

Vitoria  (Pending Injury)

Johnston

Henry

Corneleuis