Oh Canada Oh Baby ( : The dream is now a reality, Canada is going back to the World Cup after 36 long years !!!!!

Cblake

13 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Know what day today is????

.......it's the day after Canada qualified for the world cup, that's what today is!!!! 

Can't wait for Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday can't come soon enough for me

15 hours ago, Cblake said:

The US went 40 years (1950-90) between World Cup appearances. When the qualified for 1990 they were already going to be in the 1994 edition as the host. With Canada clinching a spot in 2022 ahead of being the co-host in 2026. 1990 marked a run of 7 straight World Cup appearances, which I see as being the same for Canada in 2022 hopefully without the stumble the US suffered ahead of 2018. This is the start of something special for Canada.  

This 100% is the start of something special. With the WC being expanded to 48 teams, CONCACAF now has 6 guaranteed spots going forward.

Canada will be one of those 6 best teams for decades to come.

Welcome to the new era.

Excellent article from Stephen Brunt. I love the intro.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadas-world-cup-journey-a-seminal-moment-for-sports-culture-in-this-country/

"This one’s for you…. if you spent your Saturday mornings tuned in to Graham Leggat; if you ever had to explain that soccer wouldn’t really be better if only they would score more goals; if you suffered through 8-1 in San Pedro Sula; if you shed a quiet tear watching Owen Hargreaves playing in the World Cup for England."

Also, I didn't think about it during the game, but on the way home I realized. I didn't see even 1 Jamaican fan at the game. I mean, there had to be a few, but that is my 20th or 21st Canada game, and I have ALWAYS seen fans of the other team. Remember when there was concern about playing this game in Toronto due to all the Jamaican fans?! The paid pre-sale probably prevented some from being able to get tickets, and of course already being eliminated, but mostly I think it can be summed up by the demand for tickets for people that were cheering for Canada. I love it!

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Excellent article from Stephen Brunt. I love the intro.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadas-world-cup-journey-a-seminal-moment-for-sports-culture-in-this-country/

"This one’s for you…. if you spent your Saturday mornings tuned in to Graham Leggat; if you ever had to explain that soccer wouldn’t really be better if only they would score more goals; if you suffered through 8-1 in San Pedro Sula; if you shed a quiet tear watching Owen Hargreaves playing in the World Cup for England."

Also, I didn't think about it during the game, but on the way home I realized. I didn't see even 1 Jamaican fan at the game. I mean, there had to be a few, but that is my 20th or 21st Canada game, and I have ALWAYS seen fans of the other team. Remember when there was concern about playing this game in Toronto due to all the Jamaican fans?! The paid pre-sale probably prevented some from being able to get tickets, and of course already being eliminated, but mostly I think it can be summed up by the demand for tickets for people that were cheering for Canada. I love it!

I saw a couple in line and in the stands, but compared to the game in 2008, it's amazing how the make up of the crowd changed. Also, there were no "Boom"s in the Jamaican anthem this time.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

.......it's the day after Canada qualified for the world cup, that's what today is!!!! 

And here I thought it was the day you waxed and polished your crystal ball

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

My kid asked me for him to stay home on Friday to watch the draw. I immediately called the school and told them that he could not attend on friday!

I just want to say, I don’t know any of you personally, I know many faces from social media, etc. I have been reading this board (and other forms of it) and contributing since 2000. Almost everyday over the years I would log on and read when nobody ANYWHERE was talking Canadian soccer and if I brought it up to friends you either got scoffed at or had to really educate. This place has been a constant for me since I was 16 and I would just like to thank everyone who talks this sport and more importantly this amazing mens team. Last night was always a bucket list game for me. I can’t believe I was there to witness history. 

Edited by Alex