Oh Canada Oh Baby ( : The dream is now a reality, Canada is going back to the World Cup after 36 long years !!!!!

Cblake

Both Qualifications are awesome but this one is a bit more special just cause we had to go through the long route , and of course beating both the Americans and Mexico and really annoying them is extra special . And like Ozzie The Parrot says "Just getting there doesn't have to be the pinnacle this time"

Watched the game on CBC was it Steve Armitage with the play by play ?

indoor Soccer at the time really screwed things up for Canada , players didn’t have the conditioning as if playing outdoor as well the indoor soccer playoffs overlapped with the start of the 1986 World Cup and clubs eeent releasing players if still in the playoffs. Paul Dolan 18 years old had to start for Canada vs France because Tino Lettieri wasn’t released yet in the eve of the World Cup ,literally what kind of experience did Dolan have prior?Bless his Harare though he pulled it off admirably.playing the likes of PCOV AND Coquitlam metro Ford ,Pegasus etc.Proves the competitive ness of the Vancouver metro league.

Finally incredible Canada is going to the World Cup wow! Incredible scenes at the stadium today especially when that final whistle blew , very emotional I’m so happy for all the old timers , the new people on board , the young kids that are following the team right now and especially for all these players the older ones and the younger ones and of Atiba what a player so happy for him . Andiamo a Qatar baby incredible.

Well I count myself as fortunate, not sure how many people attended WCQ matches in the final round of qualifying in both 1985 and 2022, but I have that privilege as in addition to attending games at BMO today & last year, I was at the 1985 opening 1-1 draw against Costa Rica at Varsity Stadium.

It's been a long 34 years since a miserable pair of days in October 1988, which is when the World Cup disappointment set in. After we qualified with the only available spot for the 1986 World Cup, I never dreamed it would take this long to qualify again, I expected we would get to Italia 1990, so to be eliminated after 2 frickin' games on away goals (and not "goal differential" as Gareth Wheeler claimed in today's broadcast) was an incredibly crushing disappointment at the time, especially as it felt like we were eliminated by a team that was inferior to us. Then we came so close for USA 94, only to be be denied by a blind asshat of a German linesman incorrectly flagging Peschisolido for offside on Lyndon Hooper's goal (with some dubious officiating in Honduras to award them two PK's earlier on not helping even though we came away with a 2-2 draw). And then to lose on a PK shootout to Australia (who I hope make the World Cup just so we can beat them and get revenge since Russia/USSR and Hungary won't be around to meet us this time as they did  in 1986).

1998's WCQ was very depressing and frustrating, 2002 was the same coming right after (the same year!) as our Gold Cup triumph. 2004 was "everything that could go wrong or conspire against us" did campaign, 2008 again so disappointing after so much promise in the 2007 Gold Cup. By now I had got used to Canada not qualifying and expecting it to not happen.

All this to say, I'm happy for the boys, but also extremely thankful to all the players and everyone involved to make this dream become a reality. It was a completely anti-climactic and undramatic victory to qualify, which is just how I like it.

There's not much to add. Thrilled, but also a bit sad that we will never see a qualifying cycle like this again. My soccer friends in NZ dread the international window because club football goes on pause. I used to feel similar, back in the days where the CMNT played so infrequently, or were eliminated so early. But over the last year and a half - what a treat. So spoiled, I actually complained about the two match window.

Just a final thanks to Jamie @Admin for keeping this space alive over the years and all those who supported him and all those that posted here. 

Un-fucking believable indeed! 

I was a 13-year old watching Canada qualify for the World Cup in 1985. Yesterday I took my 13-year old son to the game and it was incredible. It took a whole generation of pain and heartache, but we made it! The change in just 6 months is unreal. My son plays rep soccer, and the majority of parents in September had no idea Canada was playing a World Cup qualifier against Honduras at home. Compared to yesterday where many were in the stadium and the rest watching at home. This is going to get very BIG indeed! 

What else can be said...This is a great story unfolding....Who doesn't feel the love that the guys have for one another? Which -like Eustaquio said-makes the results seem secondary...The story is only gonna get bigger and better from here on out! I love this team!

So glad I got to share that afternoon with my ten year old.

It was nice to see many of the old faces at the stadium yesterday - I missed you Rudi and any Keays that were there but I saw a few ancient u-sector survivors.

Sil I yelled at you on the concourse but you couldn't hear me. So "hello!"

I haven't been involved in Vees organizing for many years, but it's been a long journey since those early days of group buying and hoping (I still haven't told mom and dad about the $300 I lost group buying for Macedonia when I couldn't unload those tickets and gave them away outside the stadium, to the chagrin of the scalpers)

Gone are the days of being outnumbered at home, or getting asked to sit down or be quiet.

Many thanks to those that have picked up that mantle and made days like today a reality.

Edited by The Real Marc

Qualifying for the World Cup is one thing, dominating along the way is another. This team is 14 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss with 54 goals scored to just 7 against. Entering the octagon you could sense the other nations in CONCACAF were scared to go to battle with the best. This is a team that couldn’t even play in their own country in the first two rounds due to the pandemic. We are going from the octagon to the Royal Rumble with 31 other teams in Qatar. Time for Canada to shock the world and be the last one standing come December 18th.

No photo description available.