Oh Canada Oh Baby ( : The dream is now a reality, Canada is going back to the World Cup after 36 long years !!!!!

Cblake

12 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I was 14 when we last made the World Cup. It has been tough being a fan of our national team for the past 36 years. I remember attending a WCQ match at Swanguard where us Voyageurs were out numbered 5 to 1 by the fans of the opposing team (Honduras, I think).  But there's been a core group of fans who've never given up on our program, most of us dwelling here to share opinions, organize our chants, bolster our spirits, and otherwise keep fanning the flame of hope that someday we'd have the sort of program that might just make it to the hex.

And here we are, brothers and sisters, bearing witness to a transformation that we could only dream of, a transformation that was several years in the making, but in many respects happened over the past 12 months.  

Kudos to all you Voyageurs, especially those who've been around for longer than Atiba has been in the program. (Yes, that long!) I don't mean to overstate this, but without doubt we've played our role in this team's success.  The players know this, Herdman knows, the media knows this, and now we should all take a moment to reflect on how we've done our part to support this team over the years.

We're going to Qatar!!  

Fire up the planes everyone...flying to Qatar 

Such a long way from a Guatemala at Swangard in 2004. Loved the extended Sportsnet coverage with Forrest, DeRo, Debrun, Arash, that Faizal kid, so happy (and quite drunk) right now. Thinking of old friends met in those days, Nolando, Vancouver Fan, and those lost like Current Champ. And where the fuck is Grizzly right now?

(Nothing like making a year book comment in your 40s. Love you Vs).

15 minutes ago, Cblake said:

"We're a football country"

- John Herdman after Canada's World Cup Qualification 

Well we are on our way to becoming one especially if we keep producing footballers and developing them but also if we get said players playing in Europe and we qualify for World Cups on a consistent basis after 2026, then of course 

The US went 40 years (1950-90) between World Cup appearances. When the qualified for 1990 they were already going to be in the 1994 edition as the host. With Canada clinching a spot in 2022 ahead of being the co-host in 2026. 1990 marked a run of 7 straight World Cup appearances, which I see as being the same for Canada in 2022 hopefully without the stumble the US suffered ahead of 2018. This is the start of something special for Canada.  

18 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The US went 40 years (1950-90) between World Cup appearances. When the qualified for 1990 they were already going to be in the 1994 edition as the host. With Canada clinching a spot in 2022 ahead of being the co-host in 2026. 1990 marked a run of 7 straight World Cup appearances, which I see as being the same for Canada in 2022 hopefully without the stumble the US suffered ahead of 2018. This is the start of something special for Canada.  

Well we are in the middle of a golden generation of Canadian football 

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Such a long way from a Guatemala at Swangard in 2004. Loved the extended Sportsnet coverage with Forrest, DeRo, Debrun, Arash, that Faizal kid, so happy (and quite drunk) right now. Thinking of old friends met in those days, Nolando, Vancouver Fan, and those lost like Current Champ. And where the fuck is Grizzly right now?

(Nothing like making a year book comment in your 40s. Love you Vs).

that young Man Faizal was struggling to keep his emotions in check  during his broadcast kind of felt the same way myself.