Oh Canada Oh Baby ( : The dream is now a reality, Canada is going back to the World Cup after 36 long years !!!!!

Cblake

Hoping by putting some thoughts down I’ll be able to go to bed and get some sleep (just after midnight here). 

Leading up to this match it felt like qualification was in the bag. In fact, the feeling of jeopardy really dissipated for me after the last window. I was actually starting to feel a bit wistful. I’ve been overseas for almost 10 years now and haven’t been to a match at home since Costa Rica in the Gold Cup in Toronto in 2015 and an away match since Scotland in 2017. I was feeling like the better the team got, the farther away I felt. Seeing people struggle to obtain tickets wasn’t something I’d ever thought I see and then the realisation of seeing how hard it is to actually get World Cup tickets, I wondered if I’d get to see Canada in person again. 

So going into the match I was happy but feeling a bit odd by it all. The match was coming to an end and I was thinking “oh cool, they did it, well done” and then Wheeler said that Canada was going to the World Cup and I just started crying. The emotions really swept over me. Think it was a mix of previous heartbreak supporting this team and everything that has been happening over the past few years. Being away from family and friends for such a long time, being locked in my flat with covid the past week (including my sons third birthday today.) It was all very emotional. 

I just want to say thank you to everyone here, the team, the coaches, supporters all over Canada and the world. This will means many things for many people. Enjoy it. 

46 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Devin is the goto guy at CBC for curling, and I was impressed by his reporting of the olympics and paralympics, including a story on paralympic athletes not getting any compensation for medals won (this policy has since changed). 

Hoping CBC will dispatch him to Qatar for the WC.  

Edited by cornerkick

I was 14 when we last made the World Cup. It has been tough being a fan of our national team for the past 36 years. I remember attending a WCQ match at Swanguard where us Voyageurs were out numbered 5 to 1 by the fans of the opposing team (Honduras, I think).  But there's been a core group of fans who've never given up on our program, most of us dwelling here to share opinions, organize our chants, bolster our spirits, and otherwise keep fanning the flame of hope that someday we'd have the sort of program that might just make it to the hex.

And here we are, brothers and sisters, bearing witness to a transformation that we could only dream of, a transformation that was several years in the making, but in many respects happened over the past 12 months.  

Kudos to all you Voyageurs, especially those who've been around for longer than Atiba has been in the program. (Yes, that long!) I don't mean to overstate this, but without doubt we've played our role in this team's success.  The players know this, Herdman knows, the media knows this, and now we should all take a moment to reflect on how we've done our part to support this team over the years.

We're going to Qatar!!