WCQ: Canada vs Jamaica - Sunday, March 27, 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific - Toronto

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Probably start Hoillet for this one but I stiil believe that he's best for us off the bench. 

Fully agree. Although Costa Rica had the scouting report on him. They were closing him down as soon as the ball touched his right foot outside the 18.

6 hours ago, Team Canada said:

Will this be the biggest game thread ever on this board?  Or will most of us be at the game on Sunday with our hands too cold to type, and our eyes to blurry to see (from tears of joy of course).....others of course may have blurry eyes well before kick-off I would imagine.....😄

Noob question, but is there a preferred app to use for this forum? Or just mobile browser? It would be nice to post images from the game.

Since people are talking about their first games. My first game was Canada vs Scotland, May 20, 1992. I was a kid and went on a bus trip 2 hours from my home town with my soccer team to watch the game at Varsity Stadium. At first I was a bit in awe at how many people travelled from Scotland to watch the game! Then I had it explained to me that the people cheering for Scotland in all likelihood live in Canada. I didn't go to another game until something like 2011 I think. Even though the crowds have been pro Canada since then, it still feels fresh every time I see people cheering for Canada. The game this weekend will be my 20th or 21st game I believe, but I'm also pretty sure it will be the first full stadium for a Canada game I have been to!

Edited by Kent

I hope we have enough left in the tank for this match, Jamaica has nothing to lose and will have a good amount of support at BMO, they do have some very good players who can cause us problems if they click which they really haven't done in this campaign! Our midfield will obviously be altered a bit, maybe Fraser comes into the mix, he has shown me enough to trust him in a big match, Kone looked very good and if really needed could start! David and Larin ran their asses off last night having to compensate being a player down, I wouldn't be surprised if they both start but we do have options! I think Sam will come into LB and maybe Henry starts, surely we won't see Atiba at CB again?

13 minutes ago, gator said:

I hope we have enough left in the tank for this match, Jamaica has nothing to lose and will have a good amount of support at BMO, they do have some very good players who can cause us problems if they click which they really haven't done in this campaign! Our midfield will obviously be altered a bit, maybe Fraser comes into the mix, he has shown me enough to trust him in a big match, Kone looked very good and if really needed could start! David and Larin ran their asses off last night having to compensate being a player down, I wouldn't be surprised if they both start but we do have options! I think Sam will come into LB and maybe Henry starts, surely we won't see Atiba at CB again?

Meh, only notable players they brought this window were Gray, Morrison and Bailey. There’s a pretty good chance 5-6 starters for them against us will be players from the Jamaican premier league. 

Edited by Atlantic

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I certainly wouldn't argue with this but I also think @N1ckbr0wn's idea of starting Hoilett makes a lot of sense.  He was really effective for us last night when he came on.  And because he was a sub, he should still have lots in the tank.  I could see him playing the first 60-65 minutes and then turning a fresh Kone loose on a tiring Jamaica. 

Either way, I am not worried about MAK's absence

I would be more than okay with this

Lol, Morrison is awful. Big name 8 years ago, but no where closer to a difference maker. The other 2 I agree with. We need to put a ! on this campaign. A hefty win against Jamaica would do the trick. 

13 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Meh, only notable players they brought this window were Gray, Morrison and Bailey. There’s a pretty good chance 5-6 starters for them against us will be players from the Jamaican premier league. 

Went through the game thread and re-watched the highlights of the 0-0 draw back in October to refresh my memory:

- Empty stadium in Kingston, poor pitch didn't work in Canada's favour.

- Henry and Cornelius were the CBs (not sure what the backline will be for Sunday but these two might work out well).

- Lots of professional fouls by Jamaica to slow things down and frustrate.

- Laryea and Buchanan both unavailable. Davies played.

- Brym and Shaffelburg came off the bench late.

Obviously each game is different but worth noting lots of factors will be different for Sunday.

7 hours ago, zeelaw said:

My first match I ever watched on TV was Rob Friend's header vs Jamaica to win - '06 I think, in Kingston.

Don't you mean in Montreal? Because that was the first Canada match I watched too. It was a 1-0 victory, and Rob Friend's first goal.

Funny how it's all coming full circle :lol:

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Probably start Hoillet for this one but I stiil believe that he's best for us off the bench. 

He is but Jnr has also played his best footie v Jamaica. If he's fit I think he starts. We also need Kennedy's pace and height on the back line. Think a lot of the vets will want to start this game given its significance...Atiba, Larin, Henry, Jr, Oso. 

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He is but Jnr has also played his best footie v Jamaica. If he's fit I think he starts. We also need Kennedy's pace and height on the back line. Think a lot of the vets will want to start this game given its significance...Atiba, Larin, Henry, Jr, Oso. 

Exactly what I’m thinking too. Hoilett vs Jamaica in Toronto is a recipe for a masterclass. 

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

I am thankful that we are the earliest kickoff on Sunday.  So we have the opportunity to clinch qualification before another team can do it for us.  

I really wanted this to be wrapped up last night to take the pressure off and make it a celebration match right from kick off but that obviously didn't happen so this will be another exciting match day full of nervous energy and when we do the business it will be like nothing most of us have never seen before! An earlier kick off is a good thing for travel and for those having to work Monday as well!

29 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Just watching the JJDTV preview for the Jamaica game on YouTube and the Jamaican pundit he always has on seemed to be quite certain that Leon Bailey and Morrison both wouldn't travel to Canada for the game. They were probably the 2 best players for them in the last game. 

Incoming 5-0?