WCQ: Canada vs Jamaica - Sunday, March 27, 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific - Toronto

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 13
Canada vs Jamaica
Sunday, March 27 2022
4pm Eastern /  1pm Pacific
BMO Field, Toronto
Online Broadcast:
ONESoccer , FuboTV
TV Broadcast: Sportsnet Pacific/West/Ontario/East, Sportsnet 1 (Only SN1 will have the pre-game show) (EN)
RDS (FR)

Canada Squad
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-march-squad-for-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers/

Vitória is dealing with muscular issues
Kennedy came out of his last club match injured but is "fine" according to @Ian Kennedy
Hoilett has a bit of a knock but can still play
As far as we know, all other players listed are 100%

Canadian players that are suspended due to a red card or yellow card accumulation (2 cards from 2 different matches)
Kaye

Canadian players that are on a yellow card
Cavallini
Brym
Buchanan
Eustáquio
Fraser
Kaye (but he is already suspended for the next match anyways)
Laryea
Piette

Jamaica Squad
https://twitter.com/jff_football/status/1505970530373054466

Jamaican players that are suspended due to a red card or yellow card accumulation (2 cards from 2 different matches)
Damion Lowe

Jamaican players that are on a yellow card
Shamar Nicholoson
Blair Turgott
Kemar Lawrence
Oniel Fisher
Kemar Roofe
Andre Gray
Anthony Grant
Leon Bailey
Javain Brown
Ethan Pinnock
Ravel Morrison
Devon Williams
Richard King

The Referee
Fernando Guerrero Ramírez
He was our ref for the home match against Honduras back in September.

The weather
Cloudy, a bit windy and around -2°C

----

Qualification Scenarios:

1. We win against Jamaica
2. We draw against Jamaica
3. We lose to Jamaica and Costa Rica fails to win their match against El Salvador later that day
4. We lose to Jamaica and Panama wins or draws their match against the USA later that night.

Just now, theaub said:

This match is going to be absolutely wild.

First MNT match I saw, back when I was young and stupid and thought qualifying was easy, was Canada/Jamaica at BMO in '08,  Not much for symmetry but...

My first match I ever watched on TV was Rob Friend's header vs Jamaica to win - '06 I think, in Kingston.

Lots of interesting lineup decisions:

1. Can Eustaqiuo start again? If not, without MAK and Atiba(probably) our midfield is in trouble. I think Steph will be ok in the end. Wouldnt be surprised to see Ikone starting.

2. Can Laryea go again? Maybe not as crucial since Adekugbe is back but Richie was amazing last night 

3. Think Doneil likely starts - I’m sensing it’s unlikely we see Vitoria at all this window. Maybe we play a traditional back 4 with Doneil and Kennedy as the central defenders.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada better beat Jamaica on Sunday

I’m all for what we’d like to see / suggestions on how we can achieve victory on Sunday, but let’s get the positive vibes flowing.  This team has more than exceeded our expectations and now is the time to applaud their amazing effort and celebrate.  For all of us who are fortunate enough to attend this game, it’ll be the biggest party of our lives… and I can’t wait!

25 minutes ago, theaub said:

This match is going to be absolutely wild.

First MNT match I saw, back when I was young and stupid and thought qualifying was easy, was Canada/Jamaica at BMO in '08,  Not much for symmetry but...

That was my first match as well! Feels like fate to be back at BMO against the same opponent

This is how I would line us up at BMO.

Midfield is kind of thin, as much as my heart wants to start Kone I think we see Oso drop to an 8 and Junior take the 10 spot

really wanted to fit Laryea again, I think we see a fresh Adekugbe start on the left, and there’s no way Buchanan doesn’t start in such a big game. Could start him up top with David to get Laryea in, but I don’t see Herdman not starting Larin.

thought of a 3-4-3 to get everyone in but I think we play our best with 3 midfielders.

Kennedy if healthy could slot in for Miller but Miller was great v Costa Rica. 

tough for Millar, hope he gets some minutes. Deserves to start IMO but hard to make it work.

4B83180F-53F3-4B7E-B646-2477D3362C41.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I doubt this is that controversial but:  

Ismael Kone should start against Jamaica.

I certainly wouldn't argue with this but I also think @N1ckbr0wn's idea of starting Hoilett makes a lot of sense.  He was really effective for us last night when he came on.  And because he was a sub, he should still have lots in the tank.  I could see him playing the first 60-65 minutes and then turning a fresh Kone loose on a tiring Jamaica. 

Either way, I am not worried about MAK's absence

57 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

This is how I would line us up at BMO.

Midfield is kind of thin, as much as my heart wants to start Kone I think we see Oso drop to an 8 and Junior take the 10 spot

really wanted to fit Laryea again, I think we see a fresh Adekugbe start on the left, and there’s no way Buchanan doesn’t start in such a big game. Could start him up top with David to get Laryea in, but I don’t see Herdman not starting Larin.

thought of a 3-4-3 to get everyone in but I think we play our best with 3 midfielders.

Kennedy if healthy could slot in for Miller but Miller was great v Costa Rica. 

tough for Millar, hope he gets some minutes. Deserves to start IMO but hard to make it work.

4B83180F-53F3-4B7E-B646-2477D3362C41.jpeg

- Hutchinson will be playing for sure. 
- I would drop Larin (he was dropping way too deep when we needed an outlet), push Hoilett up top.
- Maybe Kennedy instead of Vitoria since he's still recovering and will be susceptible to Jamaica's speed 

I don't actually remember my first match, but it was early 90s at Swangard. I'm guessing 91-93, somewhere in there. I'll be there on Sunday, so to think it's been 30 years or thereabouts of suffering and disappointment (2000 notwithstanding), I'm percolating.

And if we play like we did last night, I think it'll be a a rout. Come on you reds!!!!

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

- Hutchinson will be playing for sure. 
- I would drop Larin (he was dropping way too deep when we needed an outlet), push Hoilett up top.
- Maybe Kennedy instead of Vitoria since he's still recovering and will be susceptible to Jamaica's speed 

I wonder if part of the odd decision to play Hutch at CB was an attempt to save his legs for Sunday. 
Not that it ended up playing out that way as they all had to bust a gut once down to 10.