SSS at Woodbine 8000 seats

Obinna

Good news, but this stood out to me.

"It could also be a ground breaking opportunity for the further development of women's soccer in this country, from grassroots to the highest levels of competition."  Um - how?  Is the stadium tied to broader plans to roll out a women's CPL? Is it tied to more resources and capacity for training and coaching specifically for women's soccer? Or just empty marketing rhetoric? 

Just now, kacbru said:

"It could also be a ground breaking opportunity for the further development of women's soccer in this country, from grassroots to the highest levels of competition."  Um - how?  Is the stadium tied to broader plans to roll out a women's CPL? Is it tied to more resources and capacity for training and coaching specifically for women's soccer? Or just empty marketing rhetoric? 

I saw somewhere else they are chasing a professional women's team.

2 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Found it:

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-stadium-woodbine/

The release also indicates that the group behind the project are expecting it to be home for a future women’s team in a domestic professional league, with York United Club President Angus McNab indicating that the Nine Stripes are directly involved in this.

30 minutes ago, kacbru said:

They've spoken with the CSA about this being a permanent training centre for Canada Soccer.

31 minutes ago, RS said:

Between York, Cavalry and the proposed Saskatchewan team, it's become apparent that the best way to get into the CPL is to build/partner with existing horse facilities. 😎

Hey look, whatever it takes!

It's been a loooong time since I've been up there.  Anyone know the development in the surrounding areas ie. pubs, coffee shops, condos, etc.?

1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

Why do all the stadiums need to 3 sided? It drives me up the wall see empty space behind the goal.

Simply avoiding the cost of a fourth stand and it gives more space for other features? It does seem pointless but at least they have an easy additional area to build more seating later.

1 hour ago, Metro said:

It's been a loooong time since I've been up there.  Anyone know the development in the surrounding areas ie. pubs, coffee shops, condos, etc.?

There's going to be a hotel complex going there, I presume with supporting amenities such as coffee shops, restaurants, pubs etc.  

For York...the location is better than York University.  IMO.
This might be the first of a plethora of SSS that pop up in the GTA and in Canada. 

I'm still hoping for news about the stadium in Pickering. 
Durham Region is Bramptons little brother when it comes to player development. 

Edited by Shway

2 hours ago, Metro said:

Lawson said "There's going to be one or two hotels (one currently under construction) adjacent to this national training centre...We're also expecting mass transit in the form of a GO station, which would make this site unequalled in maybe the country in terms of access with three major highways (407, 401 and 427) nearby. 

..the key to the project is the GO station at Woodbine. In 2019, the Ontario government unveiled plans to build a stop at Woodbine on the Kitchener GO rail line but construction has yet to begin. (this line also goes to the airport with Union Airport Express train)

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/sports/woodbine-entertainment-to-provide-land-for-soccer-stadium-training-facility-1.5831755

Being a transit hub, it usually means condos & supporting retail will be coming.

Should add that Woodbine's CEO is part owner of Hamilton Sports Group (ownership of Ti-Cats, Forge, THF).

Edited by red card

If Friend and co can swing something in the Fraser Valley, we also might find an equestrian connection of sorts out there. 

About the name "Racing", which we know from Racing de Avellaneda, name I always loved, and then a few in Spain, starting with Irún, then Santander, then Ferrol. And Lens in France. It is not a horse racing reference, it has to do with teams being founded in the early 20th century and being inspired by car racing competitions. Racing had speed and technology connotations, from what I understand. 

Still, I think it'd work in Canada near a horse track,