WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

I think what also makes Kaye look even more dumb is the fact his team kept the ball in. Then they had possession and kept playing. Meanwhile rather than be involved in the play he has no interest in the ongoing game and does that. 

I'm not for dropping him from Qatar, but that was ridiculous by him on so many levels.

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think what also makes Kaye look even more dumb is the fact his team kept the ball in. Then they had possession and kept playing. Meanwhile rather than be involved in the play he has no interest in the ongoing game and does that. 

I'm not for dropping him from Qatar, but that was ridiculous by him on so many levels.

Yeah in final squad for Qatar, sure you can keep him within the team but he damn sure won't be in my starting XI OH NO NO NO NO!!!

The big key in any sport is that the letter of the law doesn't really matter in any given game. What matters is how the ref will enforce the rules. In contests where a ref is very unpredictable, players need to avoid providing situations where they can be punished.

We can complain about it not being a card or that the rules were wrongly enforced all we want, but that will never change what was enforced on the field. 

9 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

The big key in any sport is that the letter of the law doesn't really matter in any given game. What matters is how the ref will enforce the rules. In contests where a ref is very unpredictable, players need to avoid providing situations where they can be punished.

We can complain about it not being a card or that the rules were wrongly enforced all we want, but that will never change what was enforced on the field. 

Exactly my point which is why in the Panama game he should not be starting 

To state the obvious we are in first place with 2 games to go. Our players (ALL of them) and our coaching staff have brought Canada to the brink of qualifying for Qatar. Like everyone, I'm a bit down with the result but not  the effort. Players are human just like us. Why are we being so hard on guys that  have proudly worn the shirt  Put it behind and move on. Let's get  behind these amazing band of brothers on Sunday at BMO!

7 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Ya and you idiots downvoting will see how MAK will not be trusted going forward. This board is a waste of time. You all don't understand anything., MAK is not going to be featuring going forwards, book that. 

Sir, this isn't Reddit.

7 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Is now a bad time to remind everyone that the ref against Panama is Jair Marrufo? We need to approach that game VERY carefully. Anyone you absolutely do not want to miss the start of the World Cup needs to come off the second they get a yellow. 

Card accumulation doesn't carry over to the world cup

1. Kaye made a very stupid mistake that I'm sure he would admit was a stupid mistake.  I'd be more hesitant to throw him out there in an important game but he will get chances and will need to show he won't make it again.  He put himself above the team for a few seconds, and that's something we've largely avoided. 

2. Venegas dove and I'm not sure why there's a rule for simulation if it isn't enforced there.  But even if you give him that yellow, it's still a second yellow for kaye so the result is the same for this game.  But I would really like to see stuff like that called. 

3. As others have mentioned, if we played with 11 the way we played with 10 were in Qatar right now.  

4. I've never seen a team take fewer, stupid, long shots with no prayer.  The ones where you know the rest of the team is pissed at the guy for taking.  Now we also often try to get too cute, but this team really does not have much selfishness at all.  Makes kaye's bit stand out a bit more 

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know it isn't the result we wanted but I honestly don't feel bad about it.  The level of play was impressive and the willpower to still seek a tying goal under those circumstances showed our new spirit.  Other Canadian teams might have wilted completely.  We have seen it.  Not this bunch - and good on them.

Having slept on it, this is still the takeway for me.  While I would have loved to clinch last night, I can't be disappointed in the team and am honestly barely disappointed in the result. 

- We got CONCACAF'd with a very dubious second yellow, dominated play and possession despite being down a man, and got robbed by a post and a crossbar.  It happens. 

- A bit of adversity isn't a bad thing.  This will help everyone learn.  From MAK's personal lesson (which I won't belabour) to the team's response, there were things in this game that will help us grow into the team we need to be in Qatar. While going the entire campaign undefeated would have been a pretty cool factoid, a bit of humility can also be valuable.  You don't always have to feel completely invincible to play with swagger and confidence.  

- This loss now allows us to clinch on home spoil.  Assuming we do the job against Jamaica (and the level of play I saw last night makes me confident it will happen with a win), no one will be dwelling on the loss to CR when we are all celebrating like mad.  More eyes will be on the team as casual fans watch us qualify for the WC - that will help continue the growth of support in this country. 

- Our guys showed massive heart in not giving up or dropping their heads - they ploughed forward and played in a way that deserved an equalizer.  The pressure we applied and the composure we showed in the face or pressure and adversity was something that Herdman can point to despite the scoreline.  Even the nature of MAK's second yellow can be used as a galvanizing factor. 

- The reality is that we are still in the midst of a qualifying campaign that is truly unprecedented.  We are still in first place in WCQ, we have been consistently playing an exciting brand of footy that I have never seen before, and a win on Sunday very likely sees us finish the campaign first overall given our goal differential, regardless of the result last night or what happens in Panama.   

I really am proud of the boys despite the loss. 

As poor as Costa Rica looked for much of this game, they now have the best record of any team in the second half of the Ocho (they're at 4 wins and a draw, we have 4 and the loss). I don't have a lot of respect for the way they play, but whatever they've been doing has been working. There's no shame in losing a game or two out of 14, and I'd rather see how this team responds to a bit of adversity now rather than in November.

Many of the younger players on this name have experienced nothing but success with the squad since Gold Cup 2019.

14 hours ago, sstackho said:

Were there any hotel commotions affecting the players last night?  I'm getting some third-hand comments from a guy who knows some guys in CR that there was honking and fire truck sirens at the hotel "all last night" - but I'm doubtful since I read nothing of the sort on Twitter today.  And I read all of Twitter today. 

Nada.  The Marriott is extremely nice (and conveniently located 30 mins from downtown San José).

2 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Until the 0.000001 chance is eliminated I’m going to be nervous. Can’t follow this team for so long without having PTSD

I was with you up until Panama dropped points last night.  The whole issue of goal differential vs CR has finally settled it for me.  We are +11 compared to CR so there is no way they  push us into 4th (they would have to pound the states so hard that US goal differential would also suffer).  I know it isn't mathematically certain quite yet, but the specific scenarios of us being moved into 4th are so implausible I have finally accepted that we are in. 

Yes Canada is in Qatar because of yesterday's results.  CR got out of the cage in Jamaica,  they are so wrong.  But they have a good keeper and yesterday they were mischievous and very lucky both situations saved them.   In a neutral venue they have no chance because they behave like a drama soap opera cast.  Shameful of some team in Concacaf.  Show respect for your rival

The morning after..obviously disappointed we didn’t win/tie/clinch, but like so many have said, gritty performance. It was also a learning experience for this team.

I didn’t read through this whole thread, but could you guys hear the fireworks going off during our national anthem? We were seated right next to it. I was raging when that was occurring. Bunch of donkeys