WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

4 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

In terms of ridiculous CONCACAF things that call doesn’t even make the top 100.

Kaye was pissed, jawing at the opposite team, walked directly in the other dude’s direction, knew he was going to run into the Costa Rica player at some level. All on the road, while on a yellow in a critical game.

I’m sorry man, but this is like going to the worst neighbourhood in town and leaving your wallet on the park bench. There is no crying about it. You’re at fault for being conned so easily. 

Jawing at the opposite team and walking in the direction of a player isn't a foul, let alone a yellow. You're allowed to touch another player with your shoulder. I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to iterate my original point that according to the rules of the game, that was not a foul, it was not a yellow, it was simulation, and it was a referring error.

Kone looked good but hopefully he will be taken care of by both Herdman and  Nancy . Know when to play him and when to not . One thing you have to give the Whitecaps credit is the way they handled Alphonso Davies with his playing time . Kone is definitely a talent and hopefully he is coached properly in terms of when he is played and how many minutes he is given in games. However, from what I’ve seen of him with Montreal this season and in the minutes he played against Costa Rica I think this kid is the real deal.

Edited by SoccMan

Started watching the game late, so I had to avoid being online in order to not give myself any spoilers.  

I’m sure you guys have covered it all already, but man, what a really good performance!  Obviously not the result anyone wanted, but the actual play was pretty impressive. 

MAK: obviously it was a harsh second yellow. But still, he should know better than to put himself in that position on the road in CONCACAF.   We really could have used his hight defending that header in the middle of the box that resulted in their goal.  Can’t really fault Eustaquio on it. He was challenging for that header, but he just lost out to a bigger guy in Celso. 

My minor complaints would be that Herdman should have used his full bench and started doing it earlier. Even though they were playing well, all the extra running due to being down a man caused some heavy legs in the last 20min and some of the guys were visibly worn out. 

I can’t complain about the subs JH did make.  Kone didn’t look out of place at all. But I would’ve liked to have seen him take out David & Buchanon.  Maybe given Cav & Liam Millar some minutes. 

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

Jawing at the opposite team and walking in the direction of a player isn't a foul, let alone a yellow. You're allowed to touch another player with your shoulder. I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to iterate my original point that according to the rules of the game, that was not a foul, it was not a yellow, it was simulation, and it was a referring error.

When you are in playing distance of the ball, this wasn't the case, don't blame the ref for this yellow, all on Kaye.  

14 minutes ago, gator said:

These guys have played in Concacaf at different age levels for years and should know better, this is nothing new and he has to keep his shit together, absolutely no excuse for that 2nd yellow as embarrassing as the simulation was, there was contact, he had no business going anywhere near him!

If bumping into a guy is contact enough to say he's guilty, we're setting the bar pretty low for what we should expect in terms of Concacaf simulation.

Was it stupid to walk near him? Sure. But if a Costa Rican player bumped into one of our guys, he would not go down so easily and the Costa Rican would not have received a caution. Kaye took a chance and he paid. Venegas simulated, and he didn't pay. That is wrong. 

14 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So, what are the scenarios for Sunday? We qualify if:

1. We win

2. We tie

3. Costa Rica loses

4. Costa Rica ties

5. We lose AND Costa Rica win AND USA lose or draw

USA and Costa Rica play on the final day, so one could catch us but not both in that scenario.

Edit: Poorly worded. A USA loss or draw qualifies us regardless of any other outcomes.

Edited by footballfreak

Oso was real good tonight. Eustaquio was a bit rusty at first, but man did he come on. Tajon seemed a bit too jacked at first, but he settled in, especially in the second half, and nearly scored.  David was solid, tracked back in D, nearly scored. Laryea showed why he is a difference maker, and this after not seeing the field with his new club yet.  Junior has some made skills, and audacity. (This team has several players who play with audacity.)  

Disappointed we did not pick up a point tonight, but I am damned impressed.

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

When you are in playing distance of the ball, this wasn't the case, don't blame the ref for this yellow, all on Kaye.  

The two players walked into each other. If Kaye went down instead of the Costa Rican player, would it have been a yellow for the Costa Rican?

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

Why is he even making contact with an opponent after the play? Your not allowed to touch players after the whistle, especially afer being let off the hook for a potential red. Go back to Reddit.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

These are rules but not the practicality of how things work. Especially not in CONCACAF.

We can rage against reality or we can accept it and adapt. This team has been successful in qualifying because it has largely done the latter, in fact it’s even embraced its own mind games. 

Doniel Henry doesn’t show up next to the corner flag at an uncomfortable distance by accident. Did you notice when they came out to amped-up crowd, for the first 20 minutes we stood over or threw away every dead ball for Costa Rica? That our keeper belaboured every goal kick?

Let’s just accept shit for what it is.

Just now, SirBobsaget said:

Why is he even making contact with an opponent after the play? Your not allowed to touch players after the whistle, especially afer being let off the hook for a potential red. Go back to Reddit.

Did my comment hurt your feelings? I'm sorry.

Just now, frmr said:

The two players walked into each other. If Kaye went down instead of the Costa Rican player, would it have been a yellow for the Costa Rican?

HAHA, we've seen it before, 2 players come together and they both try to win an oscar rolling around on the ground, mortally wounded.  You've got VAR, endless replays after the game, you should punish the obvious cases with fines or suspensions after the fact.  

Just now, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes the Costa Rican player overreacted, but Kaye clearly made the contact.

Yes, the Costa Rican player overreacted by hitting the turf. If he doesn't hit the turf it's not a yellow. So it's simulation and shouldn't have been a yellow.

I undestand all of the nuance here, I'm just saying simulation should not be rewarded and that should not have been a yellow.

I accept that is was, I accept that MAK should have known better, all true. But it's still not a yellow.

I’m so confused…do guys really think that was plausible second yellow? Not even a first yellow in my books.

It was a Concacaf mastery, kudos to Johan for winning the game for them. 

Referee was consistently bad. Matarittas yellow on Tajon wasn’t a yellow either.

Kaye should’ve known better, but I’m not going to give him the Saka treatment like what I’m reading.

Edited by Shway

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If bumping into a guy is contact enough to say he's guilty, we're setting the bar pretty low for what we should expect in terms of Concacaf simulation.

Was it stupid to walk near him? Sure. But if a Costa Rican player bumped into one of our guys, he would not go down so easily and the Costa Rican would not have received a caution. Kaye took a chance and he paid. Venegas simulated, and he didn't pay. That is wrong. 

There was no need to go anywhere near him, this is nothing new in Concacaf I have seen the same thing happen over and over, whether we don't simulate like that doesn't matter, they do and we should know that, I will not be convinced that wasn't a selfish idiotic second yellow to take after somehow not going off with a red a moment earlier no matter how low the bar is from these refs!

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I’m so confused…do guys really think that was plausible second yellow? Not even a first yellow in my books.

It was a Concacaf mastery, kudos to Johan for winning the game for them. 

Referee was consistently bad. Matarittas yellow on Tajon wasn’t a yellow either.

Let’s be clear. Almost nobody thinks this is actually a yellow card or an accurate interpretation of the laws of the game. 

What we all think is that this was very, very predictable in a CONCACAF setting and our player fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Just now, ag futbol said:

Let’s be clear. Almost nobody thinks this is actually a yellow card or an accurate interpretation of the laws of the game. 

What we all think is that this was very, very predictable in a CONCACAF setting and our player fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Are you sure about that? There's been a lot of posts saying "don't' blame the ref, blame MAK".

WHY ARE WE NOT BLAMING THE REF IF HE'S SENDING PLAYERS OFF OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE RULES OF THE GAME?!

Some of you guys need to lay off the Concacaf juice, it's distorting your view of the game.