WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Costa Rica bringing on Ruiz was hilarious. A total -1 for them since he had no interest in running at all.

They don't have the horses.  

We're going through on Sunday night unless an ice storm turns the pitch at BMO in major factor and Jamaica bunkers their way to a win.

Edited by BearcatSA

Wow, that was exhausting to watch.

I can't for the life of me understand why Herdman did not have the faith to insert Kennedy or Cornelius in the middle of the back line.  Their aerial abilities was sorely needed and it would have pushed Hutch up into a pivot with Eustaquio with Kaye being a 2nd half option.  Costa Rica can't run or score; what was Herdman worried about?

Brilliant 2nd half though by Canada.  Showed a lot of toughness to turn it around and show who the better team is even when down a man and away.

Kone is going to turn into a beast, isn't he? 🙂

Edited by Metro

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This was definitely the trashiest opponent we've faced in this cycle. No self respect, no football, just absolute dreck.

So many dark arts.   You did a favour to NZ today because in a neutral pitch they will be outclassed,  costaricans look so out of shape !  No stamina a very old weary squad

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

So what needs to happen on Sunday?  Only scenario draw or better or are there some scenarios on a loss?

CR draw or loss, we in.
Mexico or US loss and we in (probably; would go to GD potentially)
I think there's other scenarios too but I'm too lazy to look. No reason why we shouldn't be beating Jamaica at home.

Well, we can qualify at home, that's a silver lining. Kaye and posts delayed the qualification. Lots of positives. Loving Kone out there, came right in and and was a bright spot. Great along the wings. Stings but a positive character performance after the red. Not much more to be said. Another quantum fluctuation in our favour and the ball bounces the couple inches we need and in.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Unfortunately, a lot of new fans are watching, and many are starting to show their disdain for Kaye.

Someone needs to be the focus and scapegoat in any team I suppose.

This is how life long fans of a prem team feel when they get bought by a mega rich billionaire and  bunch of new fans jump on the wagon.....but I feel you.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

So what needs to happen on Sunday?  Only scenario draw or better or are there some scenarios on a loss?

We could go through with another loss if Costa Rica don't win in El Salvador or the US don't win at home to Panama.

But essentially we are through unless we start losing games 4-0. Costa Rica currently has a -11 goal differential in comparison to us, which they would have to make up on the road in ES and then at the expense of the US in the final game. If that happens the US's goal differential would take a huge hit

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I really like Bernier in studio.

He's not bad, I'd like to see him in the regular rotation. He was a higher level player than Dunfield and Hume. One tip for him would be to end his thoughts a sentence or two earlier, he has a tendency to ramble at times (no judgment from me though, I am a terrible rambler when I speak)\

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Unfortunately, a lot of new fans are watching, and many are starting to show their disdain for Kaye.

Someone needs to be the focus and scapegoat in any team I suppose.

He made two absolutely terrible decisions today.
1) Got lucky with the first yellow. If that happens to any of our players were screaming at the ref for a sending off.
2) Having just done 1), he proceeds to let his anger get the best of him by stupidly bumping into the CR player after being tackled poorly by the guy.

No ones ego should be above the team and he unfortunately succumbed to his. He did look much better today on the ball than against the US in Hamilton. He was shocking that day.

What a performance by Canada.  Disappointed that we didn't clinch tonight and disappointed that we are no longer undefeated.  But there is very little too be upset about with that performance.  It's going to feel good to hopefully watch them clinch on home soil on Sunday.

Borjan - Hardly had to do anything for most of the game.  Couldn't do anything on the Costa Rica goal but did have a couple scares including that one scare where he almost cleared off the Costa Rican and into our net.

Hutchinson - Very solid performance considering he had to play CB.

Kamal Miller - Again another solid performance.  He continues to impress me every game.

Johnston - Solid game overall.  Better than he's looked for Montreal.

Laryea - Incredible performance.  I'm just in shock with how good he looked given his club situation.

Kaye - He actually looked quite tidy on the ball and with his footwork.  Incredibly lucky not to be sent off for his first yellow.  And an absolutely ridiculous decision on the second yellow.  Not a good time to be making silly mistakes with a player like Kone coming into the program.

Eustaquio - He was all over the place tonight.  Had a great match aside from a couple of very poor touches.  I think he is solid on set pieces as well.

Tajon - Incredible 1v1 skill but the final product was lacking at times.

Osorio - Thought he did very well.  Especially playing a man down.

Larin - Had glimpses but not his best performance.  Should have done better on a few chances, especially that cross in the first half.

David - He was incredible tonight, even without scoring a goal. He truly is the elite of Concacaf strikers.

Hoilett - I think he needs to start the next game. He was very good and he brings creativity that we just lack when he's not out there.

Ugbo - Not really able to get into the game.

Kone - Man, he looks good.  So smooth on the ball.  I really hope he starts with Eustaquio on Sunday.

Edited by Corazon

3 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

So many dark arts.   You did a favour to NZ today because in a neutral pitch they will be outclassed,  costaricans look so out of shape !  No stamina a very old weary squad

Actually it was just Venegas.  In MAK's defense, we all wanted to punch him in the mouth, didn't we? If anything, just for his hair.