WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

Remember that Costa Rica is desparate, and will be going full out.  I expect this will be our most difficult test to date (I feel like I keep saying that!).  A Costa Rica loss and a Panama win puts them four points behind fourth - that's tough.  But a Costa Rica win and a Panama loss puts them in the drivers seat.  

The bottom line is that they will expect to get a result.  I like our team a lot, but I think that one point at this Costa Rica team would be a superb result.  To think that we are a shoe-in for three points would be a bit naive, although we all know we are capable of it.

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If we get a point and draw this game then depending on other results we could qualify even with a draw

Panama v Honduras kicks off an hour prior to Costa Rica v. Canada. Conceivably, just after half time, both teams could have a lot clearer picture of what's at stake. That's got to figure in the manager's strategy for the first half, no?

5 minutes ago, Liam Collins said:

Panama v Honduras kicks off an hour prior to Costa Rica v. Canada. Conceivably, just after half time, both teams could have a lot clearer picture of what's at stake. That's got to figure in the manager's strategy for the first half, no?

I don’t see it having a big impact on strategy TBH. At kickoff under any realistic scenario, job one is not conceding and getting at least an away point.  That will virtually lock up an auto qualifying spot. Even if Panama runs up the score a bit against Honduras, they finish off the window away to the US and then host Canada.   Given Canada’s +13 goal differential it is extremely unlikely that it comes into play for 4th spot.   For us, getting a point in CR gets us to Qatar, and unless Panama is up like 6-0 at halftime, that won’t change.  

I agree that CR will come out strong and try to take it to us. They'll feed off the crowd, and we can expect gamesmanship (which we are getting pretty good at!).

So you could argue that this is one of the clearest cases for a countering strategy. Absorb, hit them on the counter. We happen to have the players to do it.

Thing is, another clear clase was Azteca, and then away to the US, and even the US in Hamilton, and we still pressed fairly high and found ways to take it to our opponents. While the Americans like to say we parked the bus at Hamilton, the facts show the contrary: where were we on our first goal? High press, steal and an attack straight through them: our out of the gate set-up was not sitting back, we did more after the goal. 

So that is the question. If we have had success by being a bit on the front foot, then we may continue with that and see what it gets us. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t see it having a big impact on strategy TBH. At kickoff under any realistic scenario, job one is not conceding and getting at least an away point.  That will virtually lock up an auto qualifying spot. Even if Panama runs up the score a bit against Honduras, they finish off the window away to the US and then host Canada.   Given Canada’s +13 goal differential it is extremely unlikely that it comes into play for 4th spot.   For us, getting a point in CR gets us to Qatar, and unless Panama is up like 6-0 at halftime, that won’t change.  

I'll buy all of that. What about Los Ticos though? They will be trying to win - their back is against it. But if Panama draws, and Costa Rica know they can hold that one point gap and take less risk at the start of this window, they might think about taking the foot off the gas.

Which would then make things interesting from a Canadian perspective, vis-a-vis the USA-Mexico match a few minutes ahead of ours.

3 minutes ago, Liam Collins said:

I'll buy all of that. What about Los Ticos though? They will be trying to win - their back is against it. But if Panama draws, and Costa Rica know they can hold that one point gap and take less risk at the start of this window, they might think about taking the foot off the gas.

Which would then make things interesting from a Canadian perspective, vis-a-vis the USA-Mexico match a few minutes ahead of ours.

I just don’t think that factors into our game plan.  Well in advance of the game, Herdman will have a tactical setup and game plan in mind.   I suspect it will emphasize defensive strength, soaking up pressure for the first 15 or 20 minutes when CR inevitably come out swinging and likely a plan to exploit their older players on the counter - and I don’t think any external factors at kickoff will influence that.  The worst thing he could do would be to suddenly shift the tactical focus a few minutes before kickoff because Honduras is up 2-0 (or whatever).

While CR have their backs to the wall and have the crowd behind them, they also know that a loss will  kill off their chances to qualify. A tie is ok but not what they need as Panama will  get the win v Honduras. So there's a lot of pressure on them. They have a very well organized vet team, Navas in goal and are difficult to breakdown but they have to be weary of our speed up front. We have to be strong on their set pieces, be patient and convert our chances. CR are very good at defending a lead. Just hope Vitoria is good to go 🙏

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Costa Rica have been one of the lowest scoring teams in the Octagonal. 

They only have 8 goals in 11 matches. Only El Salvador and Honduras have less.

I could see this being a 0-0 draw or we win 1-0.

I will take a boring 0-0 right now.  Then we all go to Barrio Escalanté and drink the place dry!  😂

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Isn't he a shell of his former self?

I think he's in a better place now than he was in 2016 and he cooked the US in that game that ultimately got Klinsmann fired. 

I'm still scared I suppose I feel like CR playing for their lives will make this game really intense and this will be Canada's toughest test since Azteca.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Training hype video.

I understanding they're training in Florida before travelling to CR but having "Florida" as the featured location of this video with the same eery music just doesn't give off the same spooky vibes as having "San Jose, Costa Rica". 

Either way, hype video as usual. Loved their social media posts throughout the qualifiers.

Edited by Ally McCoist

5 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I understanding they're training in Florida before travelling to CR but having "Florida" as the featured location of this video with the same eery music just doesn't give off the same spooky vibes as having "San Jose, Costa Rica". 

Either way, hype video as usual. Loved their social media posts throughout the qualifiers.

I presume the San Jose, CR hype video will be released tomorrow..

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think he's in a better place now than he was in 2016 and he cooked the US in that game that ultimately got Klinsmann fired. 

I'm still scared I suppose I feel like CR playing for their lives will make this game really intense and this will be Canada's toughest test since Azteca.

I think that this will be tougher than the Azteca. The Azteca was tame and not full when we played. They did not expect us to put up a fight. 

But the fighting for their lives thing might play to our advantage with our counter attack style. We might pick them apart.