WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

26 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Has Canada had him in a game before?

He reffed Costa Rica-El Salvador in October (yellows, a straight red late to the visitors), and the Mexico home draw to Costa Rica last window. That's it. He was the ref for the Gold Cup final last summer. 

In that Mexico match, even though they had 70% possession he still called over 20 fouls on them. I think he's strict and that could benefit us. 

The last time a Canadian saw him was when TFC played away to Cruz Azul last spring, 1-0.

https://www.football-lineups.com/referee/4959/?ft=&

IFFHS voted him best ref in Concacaf for 2021.

16 hours ago, Metro said:

FOYa8BSWUAg3Hq3?format=jpg&name=900x900

Decisions, decisions...

It’s not easy being King. 😉 

23 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

This is my lineup..

Larin

David

Tajon   Kaye Eustaqiuo  Atiba   Laryea 

Miller   Vitoria  Johnston 

Borjan

I feel like 3 back is the way to go. Risky on the road? I don’t see Costa Rica being too threatening where we’re hemmed in for large chunks of the game. Richie will likely play more defensive I would imagine. I chose Kaye as his form has been solid coming in. 

My best guess at the moment.                  

David.               Larin                             

Kaye      Eustaquio     Osorio/Hutch      

Laryea                                                                    Buchanan

Miller      Cornelius/Kennedy  Johnston

Borjan

4-4-2 guess:

David.               Larin                            

Hoilett.                Hutch/Kaye      Eustaquio          Buchanan 

Laryea.                 Cornelius          Kennedy         Johnston

Borjan

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He is. We may see Miller or Cornelius move centrally. Or Herdman goes full wild and puts someone like Fraser there.

Oops, my bad.😊

The guy with the best shot of moving centrally is Cornelius.  The coaching staff had a good look at him in that role in the qualification for the Olympics last year.  I thought he did very well.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Oops, my bad.😊

The guy with the best shot of moving centrally is Cornelius.  The coaching staff had a good look at him in that role in the qualification for the Olympics last year.  I thought he did very well.

That would be nice, he's been deserving of a shot at starting lately with his form in Greece.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cornelius is more suited to play centrally than Miller.

Agree with this. If we go with a back 3, the central CB must be able to deal with high crosses into the box. That is not a strength of Miller or Johnston, so its either Cornelius or Kennedy. The other option if Vitoria is a no go is to use a back 4. The challenge in either case is we don't have  a right footed CB other than Henry & Vitoria

I would prefer to see a back 4 if neither of our top 2 choices are available.   Especially since it is an away-game in a hostile environment (without Phonzie), a “defence first” approach would be prudent.  No disrespect to Cornelius, and I know he has been doing well and playing lots, but I remember him getting caught flat footed on crosses a few times when he used to play for the Whitecaps.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would prefer to see a back 4 if neither of our top 2 choices are available.   Especially since it is an away-game in a hostile environment (without Phonzie), a “defence first” approach would be prudent.  No disrespect to Cornelius, and I know he has been doing well and playing lots, but I remember him getting caught flat footed on crosses a few times when he used to play for the Whitecaps.  

I personally would prefer a back four, even without a naturally right footed CB.  It boils down to which two of Kennedy, Miller, or Cornelius form that central  partnership.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Bit unfortunate that Canada qualifying might come at midnight eastern time.  Doesn't matter to anyone on here, but might to the more bandwagon fans (who are all welcome on board).

I agree to an extent but if you think of the increased exposure the team gets throughout  each window-from roster release to end of last match day- it would be great to qualify on the first match day and then have a full week’s worth of World Cup talk and hype before everyone’s attention switches back to other sports at the end of the window.