WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

So its just personal preference. Because you didn't state where the challenge was in the middle that Piette would've mitigated. 
To me Piette is good at one thing, and one thing only. Breaking up plays, and his positioning which attributes to his breaking up plays.His passing isn't great, his agility is lack there of, he doesn't have an aerial presence, but he fights.

In the modern game, the classic CDM doesn't really exist anymore. It's evolved to where they have to break up plays, and make deep lying passes. He doesn't have that. Fraser on the other hand does.

I should've grouped Fraser into the Atiba/Piette group. Ever since the USA nations league game I've grown to like him. I agree his passing range is better than Piette's but Sammy as a pure destroyer still has a place in this team. Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Oso, Kaye, Piette, and Fraser is the group of midfielders I would want at the WC because of their variety.

I didn't put much effort into the original phrasing, but my main goal was to state that he has an important place in the rotational squad when healthy.

After some reflection and discussion with @JDub who was able to watch the game I am still really pissed at Kaye and to a lesser extent Herdman, right after Kaye's initial yellow which should have been red they were running at him and he was pulling out of challenges, that is why I strongly suggested getting him off immediately! I wasn't expecting such a bone head second yellow from an experienced player like MAK, just utter madness, selfishness and stupidity, he was so lucky to still be on the field and of course the ref is not going to give him any more breaks after over ruling VAR! We were back on our heels early and looked disorganized, funny enough we seemed to be just settling into the match when Kaye had his moment of madness, I didn't think Atiba a CB was a good idea either although he started some plays from the back nicely when we pressed for the goal to send us to Qatar! The positive is we ended up playing well and did not ship a bunch of 2nd half goals narrowing the GD tie breaker and Panama dropping points is huge! It will be interesting to see how we set up Sunday as there will be some very tired legs from chasing a game with 10 men for an hour at altitude!

41 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

But double yellows do. Marrufo hands out cards like candy, so as soon as a player gets one they need to come off or risk missing the first match of the World Cup.

A two yellows from two different matches will not carry over.

That was my worry last year with Cavallini and the CONCACAF Nations League (before I had gone looking for the fine print)

A direct red when we play Panama ( or two yellows during that match ) WILL carry over.

Unfortunately i haven't been on the forum much in the last 48 hours. so i dont know if this has been mentioned or not.

But that that gesture to have the fireworks show when the Canada's national anthem played, was one of the more "Low class"  things that i have ever seen in Concacaf.   And yet, I was one that was lauding CRC for being different than ES, PAN and HON when it came to kicking you below the belt.    But now,  as of last night,  i believe that CRC are at the bottom of barrel of Concacaf as far as class.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That was my worry last year with Cavallini and the CONCACAF Nations League (before I had gone looking for the fine print)

A direct red when we play Panama ( or two yellows during that match ) WILL carry over.

Not to get snippy, but you are now the second person who has responded without reading what I wrote.

Accumulated yellows do not carry over, but a double yellow (like Kaye suffered last night) would.

As such, anyone who gets a yellow In the Panama game should be subbed out immediately to avoid a potential double yellow (again, not the same as accumulated yellows).

15 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Not to get snippy, but you are now the second person who has responded without reading what I wrote.

Accumulated yellows do not carry over, but a double yellow (like Kaye suffered last night) would.

As such, anyone who gets a yellow In the Panama game should be subbed out immediately to avoid a potential double yellow (again, not the same as accumulated yellows).

Sorry! Wasn't 100% sure what you meant by double yellow within the context of that post.

Re-reading it now it was clear you meant two yellows from the same match.

My apologies, my bad.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

... that gesture to have the fireworks show when the Canada's national anthem played, was one of the more "Low class"  things that i have ever seen in Concacaf...

i was thinking same thing.  at first, i thought it was from the stadium officials celebrating kick-off, but then i saw the boys singing!  theres no way it was deliberately done by the stadium officials, ...right?

anakin-and-padme-2562984967.jpg

so surely that was a co-ordinated effort by their supporters group, and set just outside the reach of the FCRF, right?

Edited by kungfucious
found meme

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Will carry over to Nations League, which is an official competition. 

If it were not for Nations League, we'd only have friendlies until Qatar and you'd be correct.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will carry over to Nations League, which is an official competition. 

If it were not for Nations League, we'd only have friendlies until Qatar and you'd be correct.

The two yellow from two different matches will not carry over. Only red cards ( either a direct red or two yellows in the same match ) carry over to the next official competitive match ( if the team does not qualify for the World Cup ) .

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

Unfortunately i haven't been on the forum much in the last 48 hours. so i dont know if this has been mentioned or not.

But that that gesture to have the fireworks show when the Canada's national anthem played, was one of the more "Low class"  things that i have ever seen in Concacaf.   And yet, I was one that was lauding CRC for being different than ES, PAN and HON when it came to kicking you below the belt.    But now,  as of last night,  i believe that CRC are at the bottom of barrel of Concacaf as far as class.

Man if you watched Argentina vs Venezuela in La Bombonera mystic stadium.  There were some strong challenges more nasty and harder than the yellow of Kayé.  Only Brazilians still relay on going theatrically to the ground, the rest of the other 9 teams respect the opposition.  Its funny Brazil because they don't need those dark arts.  

3 hours ago, kungfucious said:

i was thinking same thing.  at first, i thought it was from the stadium officials celebrating kick-off, but then i saw the boys singing!  theres no way it was deliberately done by the stadium officials, ...right?

anakin-and-padme-2562984967.jpg

so surely that was a co-ordinated effort by their supporters group, and set just outside the reach of the FCRF, right?

yes, its precisely because it had to be organized and coordinated that made it low class and made this incident a new low in my opinion.   I could accept the plastic bottles thrown on the field, or bags of urine,  making noise outside opponents hotels, or even the theatrics and other things that fall under the category of dark arts. That stuff is spontaneous and has on-the-field implications only.   But when an opposing team's national anthem is playing, just shut the f*** up.   And yet, i am not one who big as others on the nationalistic elements of sports.  I might even be ok if you remove the national anthems altogether.   

But when someone stoops to this level of coordinated and planned disrespect towards an opponents country that you are not at war against, well what can you say.   I was actually hoping that they qualify as the 4th team in Concacaf.  But after that incident, i might not be that upset if we lose to Panama if it means that CRC is out.  

Edited by Free kick

On 3/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, BearcatSA said:

Laryea is pretty crafty in dark art antagonism, imo.  Henry?  Still strikes me as the guy prone to the big error in trying to make s big play challenge.

It hasn'tburned him so far. Would not have thought it possible. Any excuse would do normally.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:32 AM, ag futbol said:

I think he made mistakes tonight but I’m not voting for banishment. Give him the chance to learn. There’s time. 

Fingers very much crossed we qualify next game. If that’s the case,  Panama is very much a place where you can show you’re able to keep your cool and bounce back.

Nor I. I still think he is a great player. Hopefully he learns from it. Because it will not get easier. Having the support of your team is important in moments like these. Thankfully he has it.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, frmr said:

Xhaka and "not an idiot" do not belong in the same sentence. FWIW.

Technically, they were not. But in all honesty, I have seen an improvement there. Though he never deserved the number of chances he was given. Seasons worth.