WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

2 hours ago, shortofbrillant said:

The big key in any sport is that the letter of the law doesn't really matter in any given game. What matters is how the ref will enforce the rules. In contests where a ref is very unpredictable, players need to avoid providing situations where they can be punished.

We can complain about it not being a card or that the rules were wrongly enforced all we want, but that will never change what was enforced on the field. 

They've been doing a fair bit of chest-puffing lately. I'm actually shocked it's taken this long for someone to throw away a game for us. Laryea and Henry stand out as two that don't seem to understand how things work against Canada, but shockingly have been getting away with it.

There's no way that ref was not giving that second yellow after feeling heat from the lenient call on the possible red. I don't blame him.

Just now, clamlinguine said:

They've been doing a fair bit of chest-puffing lately. I'm actually shocked it's taken this long for someone to throw away a game for us. Laryea and Henry stand out as two that don't seem to understand how things work against Canada, but shockingly have been getting away with it.

There's no way that ref was not giving that second yellow after feeling heat from the lenient call on the possible red. I don't blame him.

Laryea is pretty crafty in dark art antagonism, imo.  Henry?  Still strikes me as the guy prone to the big error in trying to make s big play challenge.

9 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

To give some context. Partey and Xhaka managed to make it to the end of the game with first half yellows for my Gunners last weekend. Both my teams CDM's. It is doable. When you are not an idiot.

Michael Bradly with TFC played two crucial playoff games in TFC’s MLS 2017 Championship season one yellow away from missing a game . He managed to not get a yellow in two games knowing that if he did he would have missed a crucial playoff game and he pulled it off. Kaye needed to keep his head and try  to stay away from giving the ref an opportunity to give him any easy yellows . I thought Kaye was having a decent game up until then and that made the sending off even harder to take .

6 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

People are going to hate me for this but... I wish we had Samuel Piette last night.

For what? we dominated the game. We didn't have an issue in the middle. 
Piette, Fraser....are guys who are holding on to their spot with a guy like Kone coming through. 

11 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

People are going to hate me for this but... I wish we had Samuel Piette last night.

Certainly don’t hate you for it but I don’t really agree with the take. We had the ball For 68% possession. Piette is good at winning the ball back and breaking up attacks, but doesn’t offer much going forward. I don’t think he would have prevented the goal, so I don’t see how he would have changed the result in a positive way. Unless you’re just implying he would’ve been better than Kaye because he wouldn’t have taken the red card.

10 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Certainly don’t hate you for it but I don’t really agree with the take. We had the ball For 68% possession. Piette is good at winning the ball back and breaking up attacks, but doesn’t offer much going forward. I don’t think he would have prevented the goal, so I don’t see how he would have changed the result in a positive way. Unless you’re just implying he would’ve been better than Kaye because he wouldn’t have taken the red card.

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

For what? we dominated the game. We didn't have an issue in the middle. 
Piette, Fraser....are guys who are holding on to their spot with a guy like Kone coming through. 

After the red card I don't think it would've changed the result. I just don't love a midfield three of Eustaquio, Kaye, and Osorio (Atiba was mostly laying deeper in defense). I think we are definitely more susceptible to poor fouls and getting caught out of position with that group, although last night we simply outclassed Costa Rica. We had a lot of possession last night which is not always the case, and Piette/Atiba are the two midfielders that I am most confident in when we are off of the ball. 

Edited by Pottsy3

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

In this instance, I don't think it would've changed the result (unless there was no red card). I just don't love a midfield three of Eustaquio, Kaye, and Osorio (Atiba was mostly laying deeper in defense). I think we are definitely more susceptible to poor fouls and getting caught out of position with that group, although last night we simply outclassed Costa Rica. We had a lot of possession last night which is not always the case, and Piette/Atiba are the two midfielders that I am most confident in when we are off of the ball. 

I don’t mind Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio together. We’ve played tons of games and been very successful with the Eustaquio/Kaye duo. It’s probably been the duo we’ve used the most in the last few years, along with Hutch/Eustaquio. I do still love Piette though, and think he still has a role to play for us, so I’m with you there.

31 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Glass City just reposted (on twitter) some of the racial hate posts Kaye has received since last night. Disgusting.

sigh...its so stupid, and boring. I'll assume they aren't really Canadian and they're just trolling.
Because 65% of the squad is black. So if race is an issue for somebody, then you might have to watch Italy or Russia at the WC.....oh wait.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was with you up until Panama dropped points last night.  The whole issue of goal differential vs CR has finally settled it for me.  We are +11 compared to CR so there is no way they  push us into 4th (they would have to pound the states so hard that US goal differential would also suffer).  I know it isn't mathematically certain quite yet, but the specific scenarios of us being moved into 4th are so implausible I have finally accepted that we are in. 

this. 

the only complication is that you can't really have an all-out celebration Sunday without actually clinching.  no-one's getting on a microphone and saying "but with our GD, we are virtually going to Qatar!"

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

After the red card I don't think it would've changed the result. I just don't love a midfield three of Eustaquio, Kaye, and Osorio (Atiba was mostly laying deeper in defense). I think we are definitely more susceptible to poor fouls and getting caught out of position with that group, although last night we simply outclassed Costa Rica. We had a lot of possession last night which is not always the case, and Piette/Atiba are the two midfielders that I am most confident in when we are off of the ball. 

So its just personal preference. Because you didn't state where the challenge was in the middle that Piette would've mitigated. 
To me Piette is good at one thing, and one thing only. Breaking up plays, and his positioning which attributes to his breaking up plays.His passing isn't great, his agility is lack there of, he doesn't have an aerial presence, but he fights.

In the modern game, the classic CDM doesn't really exist anymore. It's evolved to where they have to break up plays, and make deep lying passes. He doesn't have that. Fraser on the other hand does.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Find out who did it and charge them, if they are from this country.

We live in Canada not the UK. Racism isn't a criminal offence (which it should be), nor can what he did be considered a "hate crime". 
He'll just get banned, and then create a new account and continue on doing the same thing. 

Just now, Floortom said:

If you go through those two trolls' timeline you'll see that neither has ever posted anything about Canada soccer and just constantly troll

Yup I did too. 

Reason why I rather just report it and ignore it. 
Why bring light to something that is already in the dark. 

Let's move on.