WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

I'm as tired of this Kaye conversation as I am the pot 3 discussion. He made a mistake, and he'll learn from it. No different from someone who chooses the wrong pass or makes the wrong read leading to a goal against. Venegas dove on the play as he did several other times on the evening. I'm sure he can live with himself because they won. And ultimately Canada is qualifying for Qatar while Costa Rica still has a lot of work to do.

1 minute ago, ag futbol said:

Let’s be clear. Almost nobody thinks this is actually a yellow card or an accurate interpretation of the laws of the game. 

What we all think is that this was very, very predictable in a CONCACAF setting and our player fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Facts. Agreed. 
Kaye got sucked in….. but it wasn’t rash. 

It was literally a cross of paths type bump.

Question is nobody in the refs ear to say something, that was absolute bulshit.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Are you sure about that? There's been a lot of posts saying "don't' blame the ref, blame MAK".

WHY ARE WE NOT BLAMING THE REF IF HE'S SENDING PLAYERS OFF OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE RULES OF THE GAME?!

Some of you guys need to lay off the Concacaf juice, it's distorting your view of the game.

Probably because a lot of us realize he was tremendously lucky not to have been sent off by the very same ref just minutes earlier. In the NBA there's make up calls all the time, right or wrong. CONCACAF is closer to NBA/WWE sometimes than it is to the rest of world football. Kaye should know better. Wtf was the point of getting up and bumping into the CR player, however light the contact was? Why aren't we asking that?

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Are you sure about that? There's been a lot of posts saying "don't' blame the ref, blame MAK".

WHY ARE WE NOT BLAMING THE REF IF HE'S SENDING PLAYERS OFF OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE RULES OF THE GAME?!

Because the outcome here was entirely predictable. 

You can stand on that soap box of “the rules” all you want but it’s not going to get the team anywhere. CONCACAF referring is not going to get any better, it’s up to us to adapt. 

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

Did my comment hurt your feelings? I'm sorry.

To be completely honest it has. Realize that posting my frustrations can really backfire cause maybe I get a few thumbs ups which wont really make me feel all that better, but if I get people going against me it goes up a level.

Prob would be sound asleep by now but here I am all worked up over some forum messages. Its all pretty dumb. Were all on the same side in the end. Maybe I was being dramatic but I've been around for over 10 years. We're on the same side right? Maybe I'm an over-sensitive baby but I have been here for over 10 years and have never gotten this kind of responses before. 

I have never gotten so much backlash over some in game comments, in the past it would just be left alone. 

Just now, ag futbol said:

Because the outcome here was entirely predictable. 

You can stand on that soap box of “the rules” all you want but it’s not going to get the team anywhere. CONCACAF referring is not going to get any better, it’s up to us to adapt. 

So we need  rolling around from the boys on any touch.

i can recall a few guys saying Laryea, and David go down too easy. There’s no winning with some.

I’ve been an advocate for the dark arts, but the bitch side is clearly not us.

My biggest concern was why it took a red and a 45th minute goal for the team to start playing. If we had approached the game with the same sense of urgency as we did when we started the second half, the game would have been wrapped up with a bow by HT, 2, 3 nil. Anyway, I think this whole qualification talk just got to them a bit. Credit to the team for at least stepping up and not laying over for the opponent. Hopefully we come out Sunday and spank Jamaica.  

Just now, Shway said:

So we need  rolling around from the boys on any touch.

i can recall a few guys saying Laryea, and David go down too easy. There’s no winning with some.

I’ve been an advocate for the dark arts, but the bitch side is clearly not us.

For sure, but we have our own games. Not typically  the roll around on the ground type but we’ve definitely played this cycle with an edge. 

3 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Is now a bad time to remind everyone that the ref against Panama is Jair Marrufo? We need to approach that game VERY carefully. Anyone you absolutely do not want to miss the start of the World Cup needs to come off the second they get a yellow. 

We got nations league to miss games. We’ll be alright.

Psychologically speaking, they couldn't have lost a better game.  Going undefeated would have been nice but somewhat unrealistic.  Some people disagreed when I posted it earlier but we have had a helluva string of good luck and Herdman has twice recently confirmed that. 

I had one of my vibes (bad) right off the bat tonight.  I usually get them right at the national anthem.  The damn fireworks going off during the anthem was annoying and the CR players seemed just slightly more together tonight.

But as I said, some bad fortune tonight with goalposts, some goalkeeper errors and of course going down to ten men helped kill what should have been a very winable game.    However, most other things were good, they generated offense shorthanded, the kid looked like he was born there, they had great fighting spirit and also we have the luck of the next game being at home.  I would be more concerned if we had another away game next.  I think being at home will calm some of the nerves and they'll come back and put on a great show.

Frankly, it was almost the perfect way to get humbled without a major psychological scar. Playing like that with one less man is a great excuse for losing and also a great reason to look forward, "wait till next time"  Plus the results of the other games seemed to help as well so the ol karma isn't too unbalanced. :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

2 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

To be completely honest it has. Realize that posting my frustrations can really backfire cause maybe I get a few thumbs ups which wont really make me feel all that better, but if I get people going against me it goes up a level.

Prob would be sound asleep by now but here I am all worked up over some forum messages. Its all pretty dumb. Were all on the same side in the end. Maybe I was being dramatic but I've been around for over 10 years. We're on the same side right? Maybe I'm an over-sensitive baby but I have been here for over 10 years and have never gotten this kind of responses before. 

I have never gotten so much backlash over some in game comments, in the past it would just be left alone. 

We're all a little irritable after the loss. I should be in bed too. Didn't mean anything by it, and I actually didn't even read your original comments, but I wouldn't worry about it. We'll all be good again tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm as tired of this Kaye conversation as I am the pot 3 discussion. He made a mistake, and he'll learn from it. No different from someone who chooses the wrong pass or makes the wrong read leading to a goal against. Venegas dove on the play as he did several other times on the evening. I'm sure he can live with himself because they won. And ultimately Canada is qualifying for Qatar while Costa Rica still has a lot of work to do.

Disagree. The first time was the opportunity to learn. The second time was... I do not know what it was. I have had a lot of time for this guy for a while. But he showed his true colours. Which are in the hue of unreliable.

26 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

5. We lose AND Costa Rica win AND USA lose or draw

USA and Costa Rica play on the final day, so one could catch us but not both in that scenario.

Edit: Poorly worded. A USA loss or draw qualifies us regardless of any other outcomes.

Just to add that Costa Rica also needs to better our goal differential, rather than match it, as we also currently hold the next tiebreaker after goal differential which is goals scored. We currently have 19, they have 9.

If Costa Rica and the US win their next matches, Panama will be officially eliminated by the time we play them, even if we lose at home to Jamaica.

Essentially we are going to have to lose something like 4-0 twice in a row to already-eliminated teams in order for us to not finish in the top 3, and Costa Rica will need to win by a few goals against the US.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 minute ago, Wingback6 said:

Disagree. The first time was the opportunity to learn. The second time was... I do not know what it was. I have had a lot of time for this guy for a while. But he showed his true colours. Which are in the hue of unreliable.

How many reds does he have for Canada? I’m unaware.

3 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

I think he made mistakes tonight but I’m not voting for banishment. Give him the chance to learn. There’s time. 

Fingers very much crossed we qualify next game. If that’s the case,  Panama is very much a place where you can show you’re able to keep your cool and bounce back.

1 minute ago, Wingback6 said:

To give some context. Partey and Xhaka managed to make it to the end of the game with first half yellows for my Gunners last weekend. Both my teams CDM's. It is doable. When you are not an idiot.

Xhaka and "not an idiot" do not belong in the same sentence. FWIW.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

We're all a little irritable after the loss. I should be in bed too. Didn't mean anything by it, and I actually didn't even read your original comments, but I wouldn't worry about it. We'll all be good again tomorrow.

Appreciate this frmr.

I managed to stop myself from posting reactionary rage post on the RPB forum during TFC games. But let myself loose here tonight, guess its all been pretty rosy lately so was posting without the same restrictions I set for RPB. Aka don't be emotional. Its like it enhanced my annoyance because I posted a bunch of stuff would have been totally over 5 mins later but then the replies got me worked up even more!

Ah the joys of forums, I'm still learning :) 

I was expecting a loss here or at best a draw. (But what the hell was MAK doing getting into that predictably dangerous stuff on a yellow!)

All the same, I can’t help finding it great that with ten men we’re attacking with purpose and Herdman has only one defender on the pitch in Miller (who I thought played really well again)! It makes up for all the decades of our managers not trusting us enough to be on the front foot. If we’re going to lose it may as well be with flair. 

1 hour ago, SirBobsaget said:

Ya and you idiots downvoting will see how MAK will not be trusted going forward. This board is a waste of time. You all don't understand anything., MAK is not going to be featuring going forwards, book that. 

Bob Saget? Is that you?  i thought you were dead.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

It was literally a cross of paths type bump.

That he had to go out of his way to do. As in I am just running out to grab some milk, but I crossed paths with my mates at the pub and that is why I am pissing in the drawer at 3am. We learn and we move on.