WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Unfortunately, a lot of new fans are watching, and many are starting to show their disdain for Kaye.

Someone needs to be the focus and scapegoat in any team I suppose.

Yeah, I’m a bit worried he will become the 2022 Godinho.  As mad as everyone is at him, I’m actually pretty gutted for him, I bet he is a wreck.

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I hope Vitoria is available for Sunday.

Agreed. At least Henry and Adekugbe are back from suspension no matter what though. I think Doneil matches up pretty well with this Jamaican side (or at least doesn’t make me quite as nervous as he does versus a few of the other teams in the Ocho). 

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

On a scale of "Very caucasian" to "Not caucasian at all", how was the performance tonight?

You gave hope to the All Whites today.  Panama is a better team than Costa Rica, they are old deadwood.  A young team bar Hutchinson and Hoilett took them over because of youth and heart and Attitude.  You can win or lose or draw but you can't negotiate your attitude in a football pitch.   Kudos to the canucks!!

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

Several? I only really caught the one he was on the ball, the header error between him and Atiba was more on Atiba to me, am I missing any others?

He had plenty of time to come out and clear the ball on Campbell's chance. Misjudged a few crosses. His distribution was poor in the first half.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

What are the tie breakers ? Haven’t we already clinched ?

Costa Rica could win out, we could lose out, and they could pass us on goal difference (right now we're ahead by 11). Combined with a few results in other matches, that's the only way we finish 4th.

Was watching with friends via zoom so couldn't post during the game.  The loss is... a loss.  Can't get around that.  No more unbeaten run.  No more pot 3 (I assume)  It is what it is.

But seeing CR park the bus in what seemed like sheer terror as we bossed the field was something that filled me with a kind of pride that is still unfamiliar.  Amazing to watch heads not drop in central america after going down a goal and being down a man.  Instead they take the game to the other team and drive them back over and over.

Disappointed in Kaye.  If you get a second yellow because of a borderline foul in the run of play then so be it.  But that sort of dumb play is just sad.  He et his team down.  You know that you are in central america, they are going to milk it, and the ref will likely buy it.  You just don't do it.

Laryea and Tajon were the starters that stood out for me tonight.  Others had great games too (David was quiet for some of the game but could have had a couple if the balls bounced our way), but most of our offensive chances involved one or both of those guys.  That is especially positive for Laryea considering the stuttering start to his recent move to NF.  Staq was also great in the middle, and Hutch (back header aside) did well as a makeshift CB.  Milan didn't do much wrong either except for the initial time when he hesitated before clearing and made me have palpitations.

For subs, Hoilett was really impressive, and Kone only enhanced his reputation as a kid ready to play with the men at this level.  For the latter to get his first cap in this situation, in this environment, and to play with the calm confidence he did, is impressive. 

I know it isn't the result we wanted but I honestly don't feel bad about it.  The level of play was impressive and the willpower to still seek a tying goal under those circumstances showed our new spirit.  Other Canadian teams might have wilted completely.  We have seen it.  Not this bunch - and good on them.

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Yeah, I’m a bit worried he will become the 2022 Godinho.  As mad as everyone is at him, I’m actually pretty gutted for him, I bet he is a wreck.

Do you suppose he and Henry are having a little chat now??  If you banish every guy who makes a mistake, pretty soon you dont have a team.  Overall the whole team needs to learn from this.  This is the REAL concacaf road game, fireworks during anthem, ref all over the place, hostile crowd and someone is bound to lose their head.  If everyone learns a lesson, it'll be worth it.  They still were unlucky not to tie it up in the second half...but slow start again is puzzling.  

6 minutes ago, Metro said:

Actually it was just Venegas.  In MAK's defense, we all wanted to punch him in the mouth, didn't we? If anything, just for his hair.

Former Real Madrid Oscar Ruggeri would have eaten him alive at half time.  Or would find him somewhere.  Var is killing this parcel of the game.   The bait was on the hook, so fishy!!!  Kayé forgot he is an amateur no more.