WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

So, with Costa Rica needing to get a result tonight, what should we expect from them tactically? For the majority of qualifying, they've played cohesively in defense, not really taking control of the game offensively at any point against any of the teams, especially the more powerful offensive sides.  Will they come at us tonight?  That seems dangerous, knowing that we can hit them hard on the counter.  They are an experienced, smart, well-coached side. This is going to be a scrap, for sure.  If they do push players forward, then we should find some good opportunities to counter. If they sit back, then we may struggle to break them down, but at least we'll have territorial advantage.  I still feel we've more game changers than they do, with David and Tajon in particular.  I know I say this before almost every game, but what an opportunity to learn something new about your side. Great preparation for Qatar. Let's get the win.

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So, with Costa Rica needing to get a result tonight, what should we expect from them tactically? For the majority of qualifying, they've played cohesively in defense, not really taking control of the game offensively at any point against any of the teams, especially the more powerful offensive sides.  Will they come at us tonight?  That seems dangerous, knowing that we can hit them hard on the counter.  They are an experienced, smart, well-coached side. This is going to be a scrap, for sure.  If they do push players forward, then we should find some good opportunities to counter. If they sit back, then we may struggle to break them down, but at least we'll have territorial advantage.  I still feel we've more game changers than they do, with David and Tajon in particular.  I know I say this before almost every game, but what an opportunity to learn something new about your side. Great preparation for Qatar. Let's get the win.

I think Costa Rica are going to remain defensively solid and won't overextend themselves. They absolutely need a win, but they absolutely can't afford to lose, so I don't see them opening up in desperation. Calvo and Waston are predicted to start and both are good in the air. Borges is a big player too. They are not a small team in general, so a set piece may be the best path forward for them. Joel Campbell will be keep for them as well. 

If they open up too much against us they'll be in trouble, as we are deadly on the counter and have the legs to get up and down the pitch. They'll want to keep it tight and hope to nick something, I believe.

Looking at the standings I won't be too upset if we don't win tonight

1. It'll be one step closer to the USA having a spectacular collapse 

2. Going undefeated in qualifying seems like an unnecessary pressure IMO 

3. For selfish reasons it would be great to see them clinch the spot in person on Sunday 

30 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

AND faker too

Unless you're a collector. I've realized it's all about repping how you can.

I look at my %100 recycled Nike jersey that I paid 150$ for and see the kinks and imperfections....I Instantly think that I could've got this for 30$ and wouldn't care about my beer spilling or a random grabbing it in celebration causing a stress in the shirt. 

1 hour ago, gator said:

Cheers! On that note I am pleased to let everyone know my son @JDub came home Tuesday after 3 months in the hospital following a massive stroke, he has an uphill battle ahead but will be watching tonight for sure! 👍

All the best to your family and to your son on the road to recovery mate!! I hope the boys really put on a show for you guys tonight !!

1 hour ago, JuicyHam said:

Looking at the standings I won't be too upset if we don't win tonight

1. It'll be one step closer to the USA having a spectacular collapse 

2. Going undefeated in qualifying seems like an unnecessary pressure IMO 

3. For selfish reasons it would be great to see them clinch the spot in person on Sunday 

I still want us to go undefeated but I won’t be upset if we draw tonight since I agree with points 1 and 3. 

9 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'm so happy you posted this. Marinaro has complained a number of times on air about this mindset with Montreal sports fans. Well, actually Quebec sports fans.

A few weeks ago I stirred up some reaction on this site because I said soccer really wasn't a thing in Quebec. Some posters from Quebec took exception to my comments.

This rant from Tony proves my point. And if anyone thinks it was just one text received you're wrong. Tony is a soccer fanatic and I hardly hear him talk about the sport. The reason is that on the rare occasion he does speak about soccer he gets swamped with texts or messages like the one he read.

Again I thank you for posting this!

32 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

He’s a douche sometimes, but this was good

Yes, that was fun.

BTW, talking about the Habs' 4th line is like talking about an AHL team's 2nd line.  It's the same thing. 😛

Edited by Metro

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I appreciate the turn of attention, but I do find it ironic that he spent the majority of the segment talking almost exclusively about how he wasn't going to talk about the Habs. It was only at about the 4:30 mark that he actually started talking about the Nats. 

That's about the amount of time the market can bear.

I'm going to the game on Sunday but I want Canada to clinch their WC spot today. A tie would be ok, but a loss puts  pressure back on us to then get at least a tie v Jamaica. Surely we can celebrate just as much with our team on Sunday if we clinch today? For the first time, our destiny is in our hands and I want Canada to take it without any help from other results. Let's go boys!!!