WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I know we're nicknamed Les Rouges but I really, really like those black kits. More than the red. Ok you can call me a traitor.

I love us in black, just needs to be a little bit of red in it, Trims or something. 

Imagine paying $250 for a crest

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/nike-vapor-knit-iii-ss-jersey-black-white-mens-football-teamwear-238908/

Edited by Shway

15 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm still scared I suppose I feel like CR playing for their lives will make this game really intense and this will be Canada's toughest test since Azteca.

I'm also very nervous about this one.  Not in the sense that it puts World Cup qualification in jeopardy but that I think this will be the toughest test for this team through the whole process.  Azteca was tough but expectations were lower.  Coming out of that one with anything was a bonus.

Costa Rica are a good team.  They may not score a lot but they are organized.  We don't have the weather advantage we did in Edmonton.  We have a makeshift backline and missing seem key pieces all around the pitch.

I want us to go undefeated but this will be a very tough test.

I hope we don't wear black.  Although I don't like us wearing black at all, if I allow that it's an option I still don't like it because the red vs black matches are very difficult for viewers like me (colour blindness).

That said, have we worn white at all in the octo?

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I expect us to sit back and let them have possession.  Hit them on the counter as I don’t think they have our pace.

Most definitely, our classic absorb and attack. 
We don't have to be the aggressors, and Costa Rica knows this. So I see that exactly happening.

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

I hope we don't wear black.  Although I don't like us wearing black at all, if I allow that it's an option I still don't like it because the red vs black matches are very difficult for viewers like me (colour blindness).

Jamaica away I believe

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Most definitely, our classic absorb and attack. 
We don't have to be the aggressors, and Costa Rica knows this. So I see that exactly happening.

I'm interested to see what CR does, apparently a lot of their tactics this round except for January have been long balls. And if that pitch is poor they may go back to that well which then mean we may not be able to just give them the ball and sit back.

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

We will probably wear black on Sunday. 

Black is good for cold weather home games 

Wearing black in the heat is not ideal, but I don't think the opposite is true lol

Black is not going to keep you any warmer than Red or White when you get to single digits or if you dip into the negatives. 

That said, I wouldn't be shocked for us to wear black or red at home (I do like the black kits, but the red are still the best in my opinion).

Maybe we wear white down in CR tomorrow if they wear red. They have a white strip as well though, so maybe that pushes us to wear our reds or blacks.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

That said, I wouldn't be shocked for us to wear black or red at home (I do like the black kits, but the red are still the best in my opinion).

Maybe we wear white down in CR tomorrow if they wear red. They have a white strip as well though, so maybe that pushes us to wear our reds or blacks.

Black kits may not keep you warm but its been proven to be most intimidating. Fact.

Been a while since I took kinesiology, but I'm sure you can google a study. I'm happy we've adopted it. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I have always wondered about this.  Back in the black and white tv days, you needed to have a clear diffference between teams.  You can watch old Match of the Day highlights from the 60s and in a Merseyside derby it was hard to tell the teams apart, paricularly since Liverpool also wore white shorts prior the to the late 60s.  (I imagine it's easier for you when one team has contrasting white shorts, like in the Milan derby) A 1978 World Cup final group game between France and Hungary was actually delayed because the red tops, white shorts, and green socks of Hungary were a clash with the blue, white, and red of France on the still very prevalent black and white tv viewing worldwide (I think the French, considered the road team, had to race back into the change room to put on their white tops.

I am not colour blind but I prefer clear differentiation in kit (even with keepers looking like Big Bird!).

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wearing black in the heat is not ideal, but I don't think the opposite is true lol

Black is not going to keep you any warmer than Red or White when you get to single digits or if you dip into the negatives. 

Depends on the amount of sunlight.

Black absolutely absorbs sunlight so it will feel warmer than any other colour. Think about seagulls/pigeons lying on an asphalt pavement in the winter to keep warm, or talk to any runner who goes out in the cold-weather months on a sunny day.

On a cloudy day (or at night) you're right, black will do absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Depends on the amount of sunlight.

Black absolutely absorbs sunlight so it will feel warmer than any other colour. Think about seagulls/pigeons lying on an asphalt pavement in the winter to keep warm, or talk to any runner who goes out in the cold-weather months on a sunny day.

On a cloudy day (or at night) you're right, black will do absolutely nothing.

Yeah I get that, but seagulls lying on the asphalt to retain heat are at rest. 

For a player running around, or even a runner on a cold sunny day, your body is generating far more heat than your black shirt is retaining, so the impact of the black shirt would be negligible, I think. 

There may be a psychological effect of wearing black in cold weather though. It may help you "think" you are warmer and that psychological effect in itself may be reason to wear the black when it's cold.

But just anecdotally playing in cold weather, I never felt or noticed a difference wearing black, white, or anything in between, but I have played in 30 degrees plus with dark colors and that absorption effect absolutely makes a difference.  

48 minutes ago, JBR said:

Black kits may not keep you warm but its been proven to be most intimidating. Fact.

Been a while since I took kinesiology, but I'm sure you can google a study. I'm happy we've adopted it. 

Herdman always talks about 'the science'. Every decision made by Herdman is calculated in some way. I'm not surprised if the black kits is something grounded in science as well.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Herdman always talks about 'the science'. Every decision made by Herdman is calculated in some way. I'm not surprised if the black kits is something grounded in science as well.

The Mexicans seemed to have preferred their black kit quite a few times over their traditional colours over last couple of years, fwiw.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

This crossed my mind since we've been having this black kit discussion.

21 hours ago, Liam Collins said:

Panama v Honduras kicks off an hour prior to Costa Rica v. Canada. Conceivably, just after half time, both teams could have a lot clearer picture of what's at stake. That's got to figure in the manager's strategy for the first half, no?

I guess you bring up an interesting thought which is why if Canada beats Costa Rica however on the road away in Costa Rica, then we can start our party early and book our plane tickets to Qatar because Canada will be there provided we beat Costa Rica tomorrow