WCQ: Costa Rica vs Canada - Thursday, March 24, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - San José

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 12
Costa Rica vs Canada
Thursday, March 24 2022
10pm Eastern /  7pm Pacific
Estadio Nacional, San José, Costa Rica
Online Broadcast:
ONESoccer , FuboTV
TV Broadcast: Sportsnet Ontario & East (NOT Pacific & West), Sportsnet ONE, Sportnet 360 & Telus Optik TV Channel 980 (EN)
              RDS (FR)

Canada Squad
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-march-squad-for-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers/

Vitória is dealing with muscular issues
Kennedy came out of his last club match injured but is "fine" according to @Ian Kennedy
As far as we know, all other players listed are 100%

Players that are suspended due to yellow card accumulation (2 cards from 2 different matches)
Adekugbe
Henry

Canadian players that are on a yellow card
Cavallini
Brym
Buchanan
Eustáquio
Fraser
Kaye
Laryea
Piette

-------

Costa Rica Squad
https://www.fedefutbol.com/2022/03/18/vamos-sele-suarez-eligio-a-27-jugadores-para-la-recta-final-del-camino-hacia-catar/

Keylor Navas might be out sick with the flu. Did not play in his last club match.

Costa Rican players that are on a yellow card (no players are suspended)
Jefferson Brenes
Ricardo Blanco
Francisco Calvo
David Guzman
Jonathan Moya
Bryan Ruiz
Bryan Oviedo
Celso Borges
Jewison Bennette
Joel Campbell
Keysher Fuller
Alonso Martínez

-------

The Referee: Martínez Sorto from Honduras
Check https://twitter.com/desigarbitrales/with_replies & http://refereeingworld.blogspot.com in the days to come

The weather
Around 19°C and cloudy. Perhaps a Thunderstorm earlier in the day.

The altitude
The altitude is at about 1100m, enough to keep things cooler but not enough to be a major performance factor.
It's about the same elevation as Calgary.

-------

Qualification scenarios for Qatar 2022

Canada qualifies if:

(A) Canada defeats Costa Rica

OR

(B ) Canada ties Costa Rica and the USA fail to win or Panama fail to win

OR

(C) Mexico beats USA and Panama fails to win

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just having some dinner in my room in San José and one of the TV channels is talking about Canada.  I don’t know a lot of Spanish but they say a lot of “mejor”, “attaquante” and “offensivé”.  It’s getting animated…

Also there are like 6 channels showing futbol right now including LAFC - Whitecaps.

32 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

You can probably add in the following information to the post:

Canada qualifies if:

OR

(B ) Canada ties Costa Rica and USA or Panama fails to win

OR

A couple of things, a point almost guarantees qualification unless we take heavy defeats in the other 2 matches and Panama inflicts some beatings vs the US, Honduras and us of course, they have a 13 goal difference to make up! Also if the US loses at Azteca we are in even if we don't earn another point, the US would have to take points vs Panama on matochday 2 which would clinch for us either way because a home loss clinches for us as well! 

Edited by gator

This is my lineup..

Larin

David

Tajon   Kaye Eustaqiuo  Atiba   Laryea 

Miller   Vitoria  Johnston 

Borjan

I feel like 3 back is the way to go. Risky on the road? I don’t see Costa Rica being too threatening where we’re hemmed in for large chunks of the game. Richie will likely play more defensive I would imagine. I chose Kaye as his form has been solid coming in. 

3 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I think Vitoria is unlikely, at least for the first game.

Yeah I wasn’t sure there. If that’s the case, I could see them take Kaye out, insert Kennedy and Cornelius maybe for a back 4 instead? Lack of experience there though..

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Just having some dinner in my room in San José and one of the TV channels is talking about Canada.  I don’t know a lot of Spanish but they say a lot of “mejor”, “attaquante” and “offensivé”.  It’s getting animated…

Also there are like 6 channels showing futbol right now including LAFC - Whitecaps.

EDIT: I have wiped out my lame attempt at a Spanish mal-entendre with silly innuendo, so will go with something else.

If you follow Costa Rica pundits they are super hyped and all about trying to take us out and give themselves a chance. They also seem to think we--and the US--will be intimidated and have a hard time there with the crowds, the atmosphere. Fact is, Costa Rica had a slippery start but now they may be up there at a top 3 level, or rivalling it, they haven't lost in 4 matches, since Edmonton. If they beat us and the US loses, that puts them in range of a third spot even. 

I think this will be the biggest challenge of the qualifiers. A great chance to show how we manage this pressure, to show we can weather their storm and play smart to get a point at least. We'll likely have chances on the counter. If Keylor is not playing, that will also help.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

EDIT: I have wiped out my lame attempt at a Spanish mal-entendre with silly innuendo, so will go with something else.

If you follow Costa Rica pundits they are super hyped and all about trying to take us out and give themselves a chance. They also seem to think we--and the US--will be intimidated and have a hard time there with the crowds, the atmosphere. Fact is, Costa Rica had a slippery start but now they may be up there at a top 3 level, or rivalling it, they haven't lost in 4 matches, since Edmonton. If they beat us and the US loses, that puts them in range of a third spot even. 

I think this will be the biggest challenge of the qualifiers. A great chance to show how we manage this pressure, to show we can weather their storm and play smart to get a point at least. We'll likely have chances on the counter. If Keylor is not playing, that will also help.

I 100% agree.  That's why if offered, I will take one point and be very happy about it.  The people are super nice here but put them in a stadium with national pride on the line, and I expect it to be very hostile.

13 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

You can probably add in the following information to the post:

Canada qualifies if:

OR

(B ) Canada ties Costa Rica and USA or Panama fails to win

OR

Either way qualifying looks good right about now but here is hoping we can beat Costa Rica to lock our spot 

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Who do we do a favor for? Who do we like better?

When you are the best, you owe no favours to anyone. 

Just think about ourselves, ignore the rest. 

I personally think this is the best approach and, going forward, I'd like to see Canada as that kind of team, only worried about ourselves and let the rest worry about us, if they so choose. 

Boys....the day will soon be upon us. 

In just a little over 72 hours we may be talking about Canada returning to the World Cup as a concrete reality instead of a near certainty. 

@EJsens1 suggests a very plausable starting 11. The only thing I could possibky debate is Oso in for Kaye, though both are in great form right now and I feel fine with either.

To the guys who will be in attendance...have a blast!

Hoping it is a historic night!