Costa Rica Travel Thread

JamboAl

So you have tickets (I hope) and know about the pregame…this thread is about people wanting to discuss non-soccer related plans in San José and elsewhere in CR.  If you want, please share ideas about postgame and the days before or after the game.

2 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Not really ‘plans’ per say, but I’ve never been to Costa Rica before.  Anyone have any recommendations on using American money or the Colon over the other?

You can use USD anywhere. But you end up spending more for things as every shop/restaurant will convert at their own going rate. Bring USD as a backup, take out the equivalent of $100/$200 (approx. 50,000-100,000c) at the bank machine in the airport when you land. Hit bank machines regularly as opposed to carrying wads of cash on you. Costa Rica is an extremely safe country..you are probably gonna be fine, but your wallet may not be. 

Edited by JBR

22 minutes ago, JBR said:

You can use USD anywhere. But you end up spending more for things as every shop/restaurant will convert at their own going rate. Bring USD as a backup, take out the equivalent of $100/$200 (approx. 50,000-100,000c) at the bank machine in the airport when you land. Hit bank machines regularly as opposed to carrying wads of cash on you. Costa Rica is an extremely safe country..you are probably gonna be fine, but your wallet may not be. 

Thanks for the tips.  Much obliged.

Can someone help me understand all the Covid related requirement. I am a bit confused by it all and want to make sure I haven't missed anything. To enter Costa Rica I think we just need to fill out this form (https://salud.go.cr/) before our flight. For the return I plan on taking a rapid test at the San Jose airport and sending that to the ArriveCAN app to get back into Canada. Have I misunderstood or missed anything? Also it seems Costa Rica requires travel insurance but you are exempt if you are double vaxxed within 14 days of entry. Finally, I have my Canadian QR code along with my Ontario vax receipt confirmation on my phone. Is this suitable for the trip or do I need something more? Many thanks!

6 hours ago, canadasoccefan1999 said:

Can someone help me understand all the Covid related requirement. I am a bit confused by it all and want to make sure I haven't missed anything. To enter Costa Rica I think we just need to fill out this form (https://salud.go.cr/) before our flight. For the return I plan on taking a rapid test at the San Jose airport and sending that to the ArriveCAN app to get back into Canada. Have I misunderstood or missed anything? Also it seems Costa Rica requires travel insurance but you are exempt if you are double vaxxed within 14 days of entry. Finally, I have my Canadian QR code along with my Ontario vax receipt confirmation on my phone. Is this suitable for the trip or do I need something more? Many thanks!

I think you’ve nailed everything. The one thing I know the airport recommends is that you have your test no later than 4 hours before your flight 

I arrived yesterday. Went up into the highlands for hot but fresh climate.

It’s beautiful country, but just as amazing  is the talks with locals who know and respect the team. Walking into a Central American country and hearing “Canada has a great team” instead of having 2-0 loss score line hand gestures flashed at you is a beautiful thing. 

I just got back from a short visit to Alajeula and went to the stadium where Alajualense play.  Anyways, the main take away from my trip today is: TRAFFIC IS BAD even at 2:30 pm.  I'm really happy we moved the pregame forward.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I just got back from a short visit to Alajeula and went to the stadium where Alajualense play.  Anyways, the main take away from my trip today is: TRAFFIC IS BAD even at 2:30 pm.  I'm really happy we moved the pregame forward.

I would have tried to catch a match on the weekend but the devils shut down their league to allow the national team more time to prepare .

I’ve been asked by people whether there is a requirement to bring your passport to the game.  I have heard different information on this.  

At a minimum, take a photo of you passport on your phone or bring a photocopy if you don’t feel comfortable bringing your passport to the game.