Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He should get his move this winter

Can't fault Columbus for holding on to him, the guy is producing and gets scraps in minutes and salary.  Mind you he gets to participate in something special on a good and successful team with a solid coach who shows faith in him.

So much upside, needs to keep his head down and not let the situation get to him.

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I give Nancy credit, he's recognized as a versatile AM or second striker. If the guys up high weren't producing, it might be a different story.

Nancy is the best MLS Coach. So JRR is blessed to have Nancy as his coach at Columbus Crew.

JRR have been improving since Nancy coached him at Columbus Crew. 

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

JRR is on less than 100,000 US a year, it's scandalous. He should move rather than stay and take even triple the salary, still too low.

Shaffelburg on the other hand makes 400k, has a new child, and needs a clearer offer to really improve that, which is not quite as easy.

Like Obinna, I also find it fine he's at Crew, because his profile is more as a 2nd striker in support. Not to go to another team and be a starter, inasmuch as he would not be able to be the main striker anywhere if a starter. Marsch prefers Tani because he is more a guy up front to replace Larin or David, with a high pace (though a lot of it without the ball, a bit vainly), while JRR is more in support. I'd be fine with JRR behind the two CMT strikers, instead of Oso or Staq, to see how he'd work. 

Pretty surprised by the bolded part. You’d have him as well as 2 strikers? Under a different system you mean? I can’t see how with the current Marsch system we could run 2 strikers plus JRR. Not with a back 4 anyways.

31 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Pretty surprised by the bolded part. You’d have him as well as 2 strikers? Under a different system you mean? I can’t see how with the current Marsch system we could run 2 strikers plus JRR. Not with a back 4 anyways.

We essentially played 4 strikers to close off the Mexico friendly 

On 9/29/2024 at 8:45 AM, Obinna said:

Great goal by the way. Take nothing away from the pass obviously, but that finish deserves more credit. Cucho is class but this is the second time in recent memory the assist he provided for JRR received more plaudits than the goal. It's beside the point, but if it were flipped the other way around Cucho would be getting more compliments for the header than JRR, and I get it because people rightfully have Cucho fever.

"Good header but most of the work was already done by Cucho."

You must be joking.

Run on to an over the shoulder cross to blind head the ball in from 12 yards out.  On the trot, staying on side and getting nothing but net.

Oh yeah.  Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting to see another goal like that in MLS this calender year.  

5 hours ago, archer21 said:

I think I said some contradictory things as well about him moving. I meant, about that, that the system where he's 2nd striker or attacking mid linking forward is well organised at Crew and he has his role. That Nancy has identified this well, that he's right. So the notion he should move in MLS to be a starting striker may be misconceived. 

But of course, that if he can get a move to favour his virtues in Europe, with a significant salary increase, go for it.

So that for Canada, he would not start as 2nd striker, but behind, as an AM. Why not? Or as an AM behind a sole striker. 

The answer is maybe that Canada has electric wing play, and the potential for even more (Davies sent forward, Tajon finding his groove, add Corbeanu), so you prefer a wing to another mid. But for breaking down opposition you need both, wing options, inside options, JRR being clearly more inside.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, narduch said:

We essentially played 4 strikers to close off the Mexico friendly 

Yeah I do remember that now that you say it. They were used at LM and RM though, no? Makes more sense there than for Eustaquio where we’d essentially have 1 CM left.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think I said some contradictory things as well about him moving. I meant, about that, that the system where he's 2nd striker or attacking mid linking forward is well organised at Crew and he has his role. That Nancy has identified this well, that he's right. So the notion he should move in MLS to be a starting striker may be misconceived. 

But of course, that if he can get a move to favour his virtues in Europe, with a significant salary increase, go for it.

So that for Canada, he would not start as 2nd striker, but behind, as an AM. Why not? Or as an AM behind a sole striker. 

The answer is maybe that Canada has electric wing play, and the potential for even more (Davies sent forward, Tajon finding his groove, add Corbeanu), so you prefer a wing to another mid. But for breaking down opposition you need both, wing options, inside options, JRR being clearly more inside.

I’m not disagreeing that he could play as a second striker/AM/10. I just think it’s behind a lone striker. That’s basically how we’ve played anyways, whether it’s with David a little deeper when Larin is up top, or with Oso playing under the striker. If he surpasses Larin we could see David leading the line with JRR behind.

5 hours ago, archer21 said:

Yeah I do remember that now that you say it. They were used at LM and RM though, no? Makes more sense there than for Eustaquio where we’d essentially have 1 CM left.

I’m not disagreeing that he could play as a second striker/AM/10. I just think it’s behind a lone striker. That’s basically how we’ve played anyways, whether it’s with David a little deeper when Larin is up top, or with Oso playing under the striker. If he surpasses Larin we could see David leading the line with JRR behind.

Is this the Bill Archer that TFC fans always got into exchanges with on Big soccer back in the day 16 something years ago?

8 hours ago, archer21 said:

I don't disagree, but when do we expect JRR to be scoring in La Liga? If anything, he goes to Belgium or Netherlands for half a million salary, say, and he'd have to produce well to be really considered a rival to Larin. I mean, Larin not scoring and him getting 10+.

Of course, if Larin goes dry for Canada and anyone else steps up and helps us get results, there you are. But it is like with Shaffelburg, he scores, Millar does not, but then when Shaff starts he's less effective and Millar gives us superior defensive shape and works better with Davies. It is not automatic.

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

Is this the Bill Archer that TFC fans always got into exchanges with on Big soccer back in the day 16 something years ago?

It is not.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't disagree, but when do we expect JRR to be scoring in La Liga? If anything, he goes to Belgium or Netherlands for half a million salary, say, and he'd have to produce well to be really considered a rival to Larin. I mean, Larin not scoring and him getting 10+.

Of course, if Larin goes dry for Canada and anyone else steps up and helps us get results, there you are. But it is like with Shaffelburg, he scores, Millar does not, but then when Shaff starts he's less effective and Millar gives us superior defensive shape and works better with Davies. It is not automatic.

I’ve been pretty pro-Larin and expect him to keep starting for the immediate future. He will eventually age out though, and JRR could come on as a sub for him if he doesn’t actually displace him from the starting lineup. Or if Larin misses a camp for whatever reason.