Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hernandez scored 3 for Columbus tonight.  Also had a goal last game and a goal and assist the game before.  I know JRR got to sub in for 5 minutes against the defending world champions and may still get meaningful minutes at Copa, but this could be one of those cases where you ultimately debate the benefit of joining g up with Canada vs continuing for compete for a spot at the club.  He could very well find himself fighting for minutes once our Copa adventure ends. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hernandez scored 3 for Columbus tonight.  Also had a goal last game and a goal and assist the game before.  I know JRR got to sub in for 5 minutes against the defending world champions and may still get meaningful minutes at Copa, but this could be one of those cases where you ultimately debate the benefit of joining g up with Canada vs continuing for compete for a spot at the club.  He could very well find himself fighting for minutes once our Copa adventure ends. 

He was never competing with Cucho. He’s their MVP and one of the best strikers in the league. Being at copa America is best for him undoubtedly.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nah, non issue imo. These are problems every footballer has to face. It's no different for anyone else. Timing can certainly play for or against you but he has time on his side and plays for a side that has carefully handled his development.

If he is to become a top tier player these COPA matches are far more valuable and his talent will continue to shine through when he returns.

Like others said, Cucho is the star forward of this team and JRR is not displacing him regardless of whether he came to Copa America or not. This is a guy who played in the EPL and La Liga, and did decently well, then came to MLS for a big payday during his prime years. An unusual career arch as guys usually start in MLS, then move to a top 5 league as they enter their prime. He did the reverse! Quality player who also has Colombia caps, yet couldn't make the Copa America squad, which shows how stacked the Colombians are.

Anyway, Cucho is going to have to move abroad, or JRR is going to have to move abroad. I don't see a scenario where JRR displaces Chucho. Maybe he can eventually start alongside him, but Diego Rossi is there as well.

Crew really have some quality attackers.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, P-O said:

It would be a great move !

I am way less excited about this idea.  

it would only make sense if it is Rangers or Celtic - and even with those two I am not super keen on it.  Anyone other than those two in Scotland and I would definitely rather he stay with Crew.  Not sure beating Scottish defenders on teams outside the big 2 will improve him any more than playing in MLS.  

It’s not like he has been rotting on the bench in Columbus.  He was getting good minutes before the Copa callup.  Admittedly, Hernandez has been playing well and may imit JRR’s minutes in the short term but competing against strong competition for playing time will force him to play at the top of his game.  

If he was going to uproot and move abroad, I would prefer a more ambitious move.  I suppose a big jump in paycheck would make it a far more attractive move but from a sporting perspective it isn’t that exciting.  

37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am way less excited about this idea.  

it would only make sense if it is Rangers or Celtic - and even with those two I am not super keen on it.  Anyone other than those two in Scotland and I would definitely rather he stay with Crew.  Not sure beating Scottish defenders on teams outside the big 2 will improve him any more than playing in MLS.  

It’s not like he has been rotting on the bench in Columbus.  He was getting good minutes before the Copa callup.  Admittedly, Hernandez has been playing well and may imit JRR’s minutes in the short term but competing against strong competition for playing time will force him to play at the top of his game.  

If he was going to uproot and move abroad, I would prefer a more ambitious move.  I suppose a big jump in paycheck would make it a far more attractive move but from a sporting perspective it isn’t that exciting.  

I'm probably more forgiving on what Scottish club it is, but we also just watched Bair parley a good season there in to a transfer to a top 5 league. I'm not as convinced 5g in 1000 minutes in Columbus does the same thing.

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm probably more forgiving on what Scottish club it is, but we also just watched Bair parley a good season there in to a transfer to a top 5 league. I'm not as convinced 5g in 1000 minutes in Columbus does the same thing.

Fair enough.  But I do tend to. think JRR having a consistent season in MLS where he scores a bunch as a 22 year old could have the same sort of impact.    

Auxerre just got promoted and are probably favored to go back down. I think a strong season in MLS by JRR could set up that sort of move.  But you never know.  

Either way, I suspect the money would be better. 

If nothing else just being one of Celtic's targets makes him more valuable to just about everyone else on the planet.  Whatever becomes of it the firm interest isn't hurting his career.  That's for sure.

Fair enough questioning the overall difference in quality between MLS and SPL but there's no question, to my mind, at Celtic the man will be living under a microscope in a way that just doesn't exist in MLS.  Learning to live with that pressure just isn't possible in MLS and if he responds to it positively?  That's a test the  "bigger and better things" would like to see if he can pass.  One less unknown if you follow my meaning.

See how the squad fills out.  Minutes may be difficult to come by.  

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I don't mind that move as a next step on to bigger and brighter things in a couple of years.

I don't mind it even if it's his peak. Let's see what happens when he gets there before already trying to advance him on.

He sort of has to take the move doesn't he?  On appearances these sorts of moves just aren't declined.  Not unless a bigger move is happening off screen.  

JRR staying at Columbus when Celtic came calling would become part of his resume.  A not especially flattering part at that.

P.S.  Crew might try to scupper the move, and Celtic are infamous bargain hunters so they may be low balling but there's really no way Columbus can veto the move.  Not without harming their brand.

Edited by Cheeta

Think it's easy to guess who the poster above supports. If he's good enough to attract interest from Celtic, he's likely to attract interest elsewhere as well from clubs that may be better able to meet Columbus Crew's asking price. The summer transfer window still has about another month to go over in Europe.

43 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

He sort of has to take the move doesn't he?  On appearances these sorts of moves just aren't declined.  Not unless a bigger move is happening off screen.  

JRR staying at Columbus when Celtic came calling would become part of his resume.  A not especially flattering part at that.

P.S.  Crew might try to scupper the move, and Celtic are infamous bargain hunters so they may be low balling but there's really no way Columbus can veto the move.  Not without harming their brand.

I would think that Celtic would probably be willing to sign him but loan him back to Columbus for the remainder of the season. As you mentioned, he'd be a bench player on Celtic right now so the extra 6 months in Columbus would be fine.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

Will he play at Celtic or warm the bench?

Bench for sure. Celtic have Furuhashi, one of the best strikers in Scotland. They lost Adam Idah in the offseason (went back to Norwich), so he would have playing time. Furuhashi plays 60-70 mins every game, so he’d for sure have his chances.