Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nice finish.   He really seems to be making positive steps this year   Pretty excited about this guy    

Also curious what secret conversation Farsi was having with him.   

I imagine Farsi is telling him how much Ohio is going to suck while JRR is off to Europe playing some of the top teams in the world.

The whispering may have been "Don't worry about Rossi whining at you for not passing the ball to me on that previous chance you had, he does the same thing to me all the time, the hypocritical bastard!" - if you watch the highlights you can see that JRR was in all alone on goal and chose to shoot instead of passing to Farsi, and was then subsequently told off by Rossi.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

.... but we will need to see at a higher level....

That's a goal in any league. Right foot touch to bring a high pass under control, left foot strike into the top of the net. 2 touches and all at high pace and power.

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That's a goal in any league. Right foot touch to bring a high pass under control, left foot strike into the top of the net. 2 touches and all at high pace and power.

Oh agreed, but I want to see him do that against higher level players anyways for further satisfaction.

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

That’s world class, the touch and the finish. This is Jonathan David level, maybe even better but we will need to see at a higher level. He could move this summer.

Without rotation he’s a 15 goal guy, I could see 20. Crew are but with a team like Miami why wouldn’t he hit 25 even. His finishing is nuts.

Definitely worthy of a Copa America inclusion but also worthy of a European transfer move but where to?

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Definitely worthy of a Copa America inclusion but also worthy of a European transfer move but where to?

I feel like he may stay and assume the role of main striker at Columbus.

It would depend on Cucho Hernandez moving on, which I could see happening. He's obviously been outstanding and he is in his prime and has played in Europe before, maybe someone brings him back? 

This scenario for JRR would be very good, being the main guy at a top MLS club at 23. That could really set him up for a big European transfer down line...as opposed to going right now 

Regarding him being the main striker at Columbus: I am pretty sure part of his success is playing behind Cucho, as a second striker. You give him the responsibility to be the guy up high and it may not work. Many goals he is running into space from the attacking midfield. It also suits his dynamism. 

A nice squad inclusion for us, because as I say, he has that AM quality we are lacking, unless we drop David way back, or push someone less used to the role forward. He's in between an Osorio role and the attack, imo.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Regarding him being the main striker at Columbus: I am pretty sure part of his success is playing behind Cucho, as a second striker. You give him the responsibility to be the guy up high and it may not work. Many goals he is running into space from the attacking midfield. It also suits his dynamism. 

A nice squad inclusion for us, because as I say, he has that AM quality we are lacking, unless we drop David way back, or push someone less used to the role forward. He's in between an Osorio role and the attack, imo.

Anyone know what he’s like in terms of pressing/winning the ball? We need that AM profile but they won’t play for Marsch if they can’t press. David at 9 and a good pressing option at 10 seems like what Marsch would want, unless Larin can do it in which case David is the 10. I was thinking maybe Choiniere or Ahmed but JRR could be an option too if he has that in his game.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Anyone know what he’s like in terms of pressing/winning the ball? We need that AM profile but they won’t play for Marsch if they can’t press. David at 9 and a good pressing option at 10 seems like what Marsch would want, unless Larin can do it in which case David is the 10. I was thinking maybe Choiniere or Ahmed but JRR could be an option too if he has that in his game.

JRR could even make a case for starting 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Regarding Larin, Aguirre has his strikers do a positional press, one goes, the other goes, but the most important part of the press is to cut off the main line to the organizing mids and force the rival long or wide. They are not robbing the ball deep, they are forcing the rival into giving it up by obliging them into lower percentage options. 

David is more clearly a pressing striker on the keeper, and is called to close down quickly. But being a sole striker means Lille have their other players to cover wide and in the middle. Often, at Lille, David presses, the keeper finds a fullback on either side fairly easily. So his fast closing down is mostly ineffective, and very occasionally quite effective. But the toll on the player would be terrible if it were not for him being very fit.

Full press means pushing everyone forward, covering all first options for the rival, inside and wide, and if you miss, you can be easily screwed. The whole business is a bit of a misnomer.

I've been watching my club, Barça, pressing, winning the ball in the midfield, then immediately coughing it back up like I have never seen in my life, because we lack a simple but important mechanism: one player forces the turnover, a second gets a better touch on it, it goes immediately to a third teammate who is in position to control and start an effective counter or a longer possession. (Xavi, one of the greatest possession midfields of the century, can't coach it, sad).

Plenty of teams do the first step, or the second, and never get to the third. Tackle, sweep, clean, start again, whether fast or slow. So the press is useless. It has to lead to a counter because the rival is not ready and you have space to use, or a longer possession because you want the ball, to control a match. Or both. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't mean necessarily leading the line, but this is a very good point and I suspect you are correct. He does have those AM attributes that make him Jonathan David esque. 

What about a scenario where Cucho moves on and Cristian Ramirez leads the line with JRR continuing to play in that second striker role? Our guy could be THE guy for Columbus, being the main threat, just with a different player (and different type of player) in front of him.

10 hours ago, costarg said:

Marsch has some tough decisions to make up top.  

But at least we have choices, competition, guys who can come off the bench. 

In the back I think it is worse, because we have no great talent to rely on. As we stand, it is Cornelius, who none of our managers has trusted, not Herdman, not Mauro, and then whoever else. And hope it works. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Looked good coming on in the final. I think not starting him was a mistake. 

I agree. Eventhough the outcome was already a given when he came in, hes one of the few Crew that didnt look completely disorganized out there. JRR is growing on me.