Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He won’t be in mls much longer with that finish, he’s top class and that is world class. This guy is the real deal.

Hes in form and will push Larin for the 2nd spot, or even take it out right. Going to be very interesting.

He strikes me as a more dynamic version of Larin. I had my doubts but I am starting to think he's going to leapfrog ahead of Ugbo and Bair.

Having all 3 of them battle it out for the 3rd spot in the depth chart will be good for competition. And with the way Tani is scoring, he should get a chance to fight for it as well. All of these guys are 25 or younger as well, so good times ahead as far as the forwards go.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He strikes me as a more dynamic version of Larin. I had my doubts but I am starting to think he's going to leapfrog ahead of Ugbo and Bair.

Having all 3 of them battle it out for the 3rd spot in the depth chart will be good for competition. And with the way Tani is scoring, he should get a chance to fight for it as well. All of these guys are 25 or younger as well, so good times ahead as far as the forwards go.

Larin is second purely on seniority and level. I would love to see someone start to push him since he's been abysmal at club level.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Larin is second purely on seniority and level. I would love to see someone start to push him since he's been abysmal at club level.

I think Larin overperformed at Valladolid because he found the ideal situation, which is why I felt it may have been worth him staying there after relegation. 

Now, I think he is underperforming at Mallorca, due to the slow start after joining late and not really having a pre-season. He's been good in the Copa del Rey and led them to the final, which was impressive. 

On the whole, it's been a little disappointing, but not completely abysmal given his Copa exploits.

I think he'll have a better 2nd season, but I doubt we will see his Valladolid form ever repeated in La Liga. He caught lightning in a bottle.

For me, his ceiling next season with Mallorca in La Liga is 10 goals, which would honestly be a very solid return and would keep the challengers like JRR in the rearview.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Let's be honest, he scores important goals for us, really no matter how he has been doing with his club. 

On paper and stats, he gets replaced but the real world plays tricks on you. 

Posted (edited)

I watched the first leg in Columbus and my gosh, what a high calibre match. The ball was literally never out of play; just back-and-forth long sequences of possession ending with scoring chances. Maybe the best quality match I’ve seen between North American teams. To see JRR thrive with 2 goals and an assist over 2 legs against a team like Rayados is very encouraging. I still feel he needs a full season of consistent play but the future looks bright for him in a Canada shirt. I think it’s also important to point out that he’s only 21.

One question mark remaining for me is that, under Nancy’s system, literally every Columbus player looks like a world beater. Average players, or even players they’ve signed from the MLS scrap heap, have become dominant. It will be interesting to see if he can replicate his success with Canada.

Edited by FC_Hali

50 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

One question mark remaining for me is that, under Nancy’s system, literally every Columbus player looks like a world beater. Average players, or even players they’ve signed from the MLS scrap heap, have become dominant.

Yeah, after his success with the Impact and now in Columbus, it can't be just a run of luck. He has some good players in Columbus, but not what anyone would consider a dominant team, and everyone had written off Camacho as a has-been. If he continues to win with Columbus, can't imagine he won't find a job in France in the near future.

55 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

I still feel he needs a full season of consistent play but the future looks bright for him in a Canada shirt. I think it’s also important to point out that he’s only 21.

For me, the really encouraging part is that this looks to be that season. Whether partly contingent on coaching or not, he seems to be getting starts in big games and looks to have locked down a spot as either a starter or first off the bench.  He should get the sort of reps this year that we always want to see in our young guys - and so far so good in terms of offensive production.  

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, narduch said:

Columbus line up on Fotmob has him listed as out with a knee injury until late June.

That would rule him out of the upcoming friendlies and Copa America 

Where are they getting that info from? I can’t see anything listed on official channels that he is out six weeks, and he was listed as questionable yesterday on the MLS website and apparently was doing “limited” training” yesterday according to Brianna McKay one of the Columbus reporters on Twitter 

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Where are they getting that info from? I can’t see anything listed on official channels that he is out six weeks, and he was listed as questionable yesterday on the MLS website and apparently was doing “limited” training” yesterday according to Brianna McKay one of the Columbus reporters on Twitter 

I'm pretty sure the teams/leagues provide that info to those score apps. They don't just make it up

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm pretty sure the teams/leagues provide that info to those score apps. They don't just make it up

I am not so sure. I took a look at the Nashville-TFC line up, they list McNaughton being out only until “late May 2024” - which basically means he will be back next week. Which I don’t think matches with what the Nashville coach said about a long term injury following surgery last month. 

If it is accurate, it opens the door for Tani, unless he also gets injured. It seems every MLS  match day we are losing another Canuck through injury- if the site is accurate they say Osorio will be out into mid June which would put him on the bubble 

On 5/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Obinna said:

Yeah a whole golden generation of players coming in especially at our striker spot then yeah of course I love it

Posted (edited)

Not sure how accurate that is. Looking at last night's lineups in the Fotmob app, they have Saliba out until early June (no public reports mention this), they also have Messi out until early June (per ESPN he's game-to-game), Kimani Stewart is apparently out until early june with a groin injury (no public report mentions timeline). Sam Adekugbe is listed as back in early June, but I don't know that they've publicly even set a timeline for his return. There's also obviously the whole thing with Daniel Jebbison being "day to day - illness" since like September too. I wouldn't be surprised if the app automatically considers any player with a physical injury as out for 2 week and any unreported absence as "day to day".

If JRR was injured in practice as was reported and this happened sometime in the past week, I don't think they could've even set a recovery timeline this quick if his injury was indeed something that would take several weeks to heal.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Columbus Crew beat reporter indicates that JRR is back in full training and may play on Saturday, so it doesn't appear that he will not be back in time for the Copa, or even the Holland & France friendlies:

I think we can safely toss out the injury timelines mentioned on Fotmob unless they are confirmed elsewhere - as I mentioned up thread, Fotmob had McNaughton returning to play by next week, which was a major red flag for me

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Columbus Crew beat reporter indicates that JRR is back in full training and may play on Saturday, so it doesn't appear that he will not be back in time for the Copa, or even the Holland & France friendlies:

I think we can safely toss out the injury timelines mentioned on Fotmob unless they are confirmed elsewhere - as I mentioned up thread, Fotmob had McNaughton returning to play by next week, which was a major red flag for me

That is great news.   Thanks.  

On 5/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Obinna said:

JRR I hope he comes with us to Copa America next month

I see in the highlights he had two other chances, making tricky touches to break free, or breaking down an offside with a run (one was offside). 

Totally OT but that Columbus keeper shirt is very nice, as I was looking for this I see the keeper Shulte rumoured for an EPL move. I also admit I like the Crew logo, very contemporary. They've done a good job with their club image since they were saved from extinction.

72951506007-crew-0312-houston-ac-023.JPG?crop=4499,2531,x0,y234&width=2560