Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And people can say what they want about the Leagues Cup, but it damn sure means something to those players and those fans.  Everyone loves winning a legitimate trophy that you have to compete hard for.  

OK, I will. I didn't pay any attention to the Leagues Cup. But when I saw in this thread that it's over now I looked it up on Wikipedia and found out that Columbus didn't have to play any away games. That's hilarious.

Congrats to JRR though, and that looked like a solid goal.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK, I will. I didn't pay any attention to the Leagues Cup. But when I saw in this thread that it's over now I looked it up on Wikipedia and found out that Columbus didn't have to play any away games. That's hilarious.

They also didn't play a single Mexican team

1 minute ago, Kent said:

They were top seeds along with Club America so deserved home field 

I can’t really fault them for having home field advantage due to their seeding, or the fact that they faced multiple MLS opponents who had already eliminated Mexican opponents.  The reality is that only 2 Mexican teams made it to the QF stage and none advanced to the semis.  And Mexico had a full slate of Liga MX teams in the competition, evenly dispersed throughout the 3-team groups.   

The format of Leagues Cup is super flawed and weird, but at the end of the day you can only beat who is in front of you. Not the fault of the Crew they got to play all home games. They still had to beat some good teams, so it's a deserved trophy. 

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So it is no less legitimate than the Gold Cup.  

I was going to say that the Gold Cup wasn't trying to eliminate an already better version of itself (Leagues Cup is belittling the Champions Cup), but then I realized I don't really know much about the CONCACAF Championship that happened before the Gold Cup started. Looks like it's a pretty similar change. Quick research, looks like the 1989 CONCACAF Championship was held over the better part of a year rather than one block of time. And games were home and away, like The Hex. So pretty analogous to Leagues Cup (Gold Cup) and Champions Cup (CONCACAF Championship).

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wish there was a way to see this Crew team play European opposition. I think that roster could hold its own in a couple of the top 5 leagues. 

I would love to see more of that cross pollination.   It would be a great way to really get a sense of how MLS matches up against some of the European leagues.  We have had multiple examples of guys who couldn’t get minutes in MLS but can lock down a spot in respectable but not stellar Euro leagues (Cornelius as a clear example). It always makes me wonder how the league truly stacks up against its European peers.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would love to see more of that cross pollination.   It would be a great way to really get a sense of how MLS matches up against some of the European leagues.  We have had multiple examples of guys who couldn’t get minutes in MLS but can lock down a spot in respectable but not stellar Euro leagues (Cornelius as a clear example). It always makes me wonder how the league truly stacks up against its European peers.  

That will change eventually, but it’s probably the same reason NBA teams won’t play a champions league style tournament with euroleague. If Crew beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, then what? A century of football heritage down the drain. 

38 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That will change eventually, but it’s probably the same reason NBA teams won’t play a champions league style tournament with euroleague. If Crew beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, then what? A century of football heritage down the drain. 

Conversely, if MLS teams get routinely stomped by Ligue 1 teams, it is a bad look for the NA league.  

There is basically risk all a round. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wish there was a way to see this Crew team play European opposition. I think that roster could hold its own in a couple of the top 5 leagues. 

Huge respect for Crew - best MLS team without a doubt. I think they could hold their own in Liga MX. Top 5 league they would be slaughtered. 

Well the USA does have 1 host spot available for next summer's Club World Cup.

Of course they haven't even announced who will represent. Most likely because they want to make sure Messi and Inter Miami win the spot

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I was going to say that the Gold Cup wasn't trying to eliminate an already better version of itself (Leagues Cup is belittling the Champions Cup), but then I realized I don't really know much about the CONCACAF Championship that happened before the Gold Cup started. Looks like it's a pretty similar change. Quick research, looks like the 1989 CONCACAF Championship was held over the better part of a year rather than one block of time. And games were home and away, like The Hex. So pretty analogous to Leagues Cup (Gold Cup) and Champions Cup (CONCACAF Championship).

Eh... every other confederation hosts its championship in a month-long tournament at a set location so the Gold Cup was just CONCACAF aligning with the rest of the world.

Now to get them to actually rotate it to other countries outside of the U.S....

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Huge respect for Crew - best MLS team without a doubt. I think they could hold their own in Liga MX. Top 5 league they would be slaughtered. 

Champions league tier teams, for sure, but I think they can hold their own in France or Germany.  I think like half their team could play in Europe next season in some capacity if they wanted to. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Well the USA does have 1 host spot available for next summer's Club World Cup.

Of course they haven't even announced who will represent. Most likely because they want to make sure Messi and Inter Miami win the spot

Embarrassing because I bet you they do that and Messi is out with an injury and doesn’t even show up. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Basically the old Concacaf Championship was also World Cup qualifying.

So technically Canada won the 1985 edition. Despite Mexico not taking part (because they hosted the 1986 World Cup).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_CONCACAF_Championship

If Crew beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, then what? A century of football heritage down the drain. 

Considering the managers they hired after Fergie...um...well... 😄 

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Really, you think a team like Angers would slaughter them?

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Eh... every other confederation hosts its championship in a month-long tournament at a set location so the Gold Cup was just CONCACAF aligning with the rest of the world.

Now to get them to actually rotate it to other countries outside of the U.S....

Yeah, I do think it's better to have a month long tournament in a host nation. But to permanently etch in the name of the host nation for all time is a completely different story. If it was moved around, it would be fantastic. It would even be a tiny bit better if they rotated regions of the USA hosting. For example, if in 2025 they had all the games on the west coast, then in 2027 they had them all the south, then in 2029 all on the east coast, that would be a small improvement. Because at least it would make it more worthwhile for travelling support.

27 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That’s not what I said. They would get results over the course of a season but just in general they would be comfortably relegated. 

Even in Ligue 2, I think it would be a challenge for them to promote. I think they could compete in Netherlands, Portugal or Belgium, which is a huge compliment. 

30 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The funny part is I think they could hold their own in Liga MX. MLS has been destroying Liga MX clubs for the past couple of years.